SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooks and Kitchen Nuts - Recommend a Really Good Garlic Press
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooks and Kitchen Nuts - Recommend a Really Good Garlic Press Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
I have had one of these for about 25 years. Super easy to keep clean and it cannot rust. It's pretty tough to mess up:

The one in the link is revised, newer version but it is very close. The little cleaner/scraper thing now stores in between the handles. So the only tender part on the whole thing gets a bit more protection. On mine it snaps into the head witht he little cleaner nibs facing out. I never saw Pampered Chef make a change that wasn't for the better.

We have one of these, but usually take the lazy route & buy pre-minced from the store on a small glass jar.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15136 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
We have one of these, but usually take the lazy route & buy pre-minced from the store on a small glass jar.

I get the laziness/convenience angle, but pre-minced jarred garlic has almost no flavor compared to freshly prepared garlic. It's well worth the extra 30 seconds to mince/press/microplane some whole garlic cloves.

Similar to buying stale ground coffee vs. grinding it fresh, but it's even less effort to have fresh garlic.

Posts: 32412 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We’ve used an older version of this brand for 15+ years. Simple, durable, does the job.

https://zyliss.com/collections/garlic-tools

Posts: 541 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
ART-What's the objective? Uniformity, non-garlic fingers, cleanliness?

I love garlic in my cooking, and go through a lot of it. Lately I have been using the Spice World pre-crushed. I like it, because it is not in a heavy oil, like most pre-chopped or pre-crushed garlic is, but it still doesn't have the flavor of fresh.

I'l like to try buying the whole peeled clove stuff that BJs' has so I can both roast it with olive oil as a spread for bread, and use it in sauces, soups, on steak, etc. I'm usually in a hurry and am looking for a time saver that, as noted above, works, is easy to clean, and doesn't suck.

All of the presses I have used in the past left too much waste in the press itself, and were hard to clean. Hence, this quest.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12742 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Based on that, I agree with others. Smash with knife, mince as desired. Using a tenderizer hammer and some plastic wrap works.

I buy Christopher ranch peeled whole cloves that come in plastic packets of about 6-8 each. I use the hammer on that before opening the packet. Works great.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12679 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The chefs and kitchen nuts that I know use a microplane instead of a garlic press, when they don't feel like mincing garlic with a knife.

https://www.amazon.com/Micropl...Grater/dp/B00004S7V8

Like a press, it's faster and produces a finer consistency and stronger taste than knife mincing. But a microplane is easier to clean than a garlic press, and it also serves multiple roles in the kitchen as a fine shredder/grater/zester, rather than being relegated to just one task like a garlic press and collecting dust the rest of the time.

Or if you don't mind having a one-use tool, looks like Microplane even offers a garlic-specific setup: https://www.microplane.com/garlic-mincer-red

This is what I have done for years ... and for all the same reasons.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

otherwise, garlic on chopping board, flat side of knife and mince is our choice...

Posts: 23213 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Sorry fellow Sigforumites…my local Publix sells “Spice World” chopped garlic in an 8 ounce jar…with that being said I have been known in my younger days to smash a clove flat with my knife and after removing the leftover “husks” and then finely chop up the cloves with said knife…I have a perfectly good press from Tupperware (it’s yellow and plastic)…but I never use it anymore…I guess I’ve just become lazy in my advancing years and forking out little garlic bits with a fork outta the jar is just the new me.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

otherwise, garlic on chopping board, flat side of knife and mince is our choice...

As sensual as that is to watch…I’m never gonna really be do that Wink Wink Wink

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
We got a Micro Plane as a wedding gift and love it. You can zest citrus, finely grate hard cheeses, chocolate etc and make garlic paste and also onion paste with it.

Just be careful as it’s quite sharp and you can do a number on your fingers with it.

Posts: 33576 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cpuny
posted Hide Post
Personal favorite

https://www.pamperedchef.com/s...+%26+Slicer+Set/2578

Posts: 240 | Registered: October 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
If I'm doing lots of garlic or I needed lots of minced onion and the tool is already dirty, I use a slap-chopper knock-off that I got free.

When I make something like meatballs, it helps if everything is minced and I go to town on the garlic and onions.

Otherwise I smash w/ a knife and cut it up. I have a press but I hate cleaning it.

Posts: 7317 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I once sliced garlic so thin that I couldn’t even see it.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12404 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I once sliced garlic so thin that I couldn’t even see it.

“Ghost” garlic?…might have have it serialized before using Eek

Jimmy Buffet

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’d like to have beancooker skills. Fast, see through thin. With a knife.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12679 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slightly off topic. I zap garlic cloves very briefly in the microwave, 10 seconds or less. Makes removing the husk from individual segments much easier. Then some random stainless nutcracker-type press with a removable screen for cleaning.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, more to think about.

"Spice World" is packaged right here in Orlando, so I have easy access to that, and it is the standard to be bested.

I already have a microplane; I will have to try that before going elsewhere. The Pampered Chef MFulator looks interesting as well.

Thanks again. I truly appreciate the suggestions.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12742 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Based on that, I agree with others. Smash with knife, mince as desired.

I grow my own and eat a LOT of it. I've gone through 150 heads since September...that much.

Some years back I bought one of those fancy presses and used it a grand total of about three times. Pain in the butt to use and a pain in the butt to clean.

Once you get used to doing a bunch of it by hand it's quick and easy. Pop it with a knife, peel, slice/dice/mince/whatever. It doesn't really take much longer than using the press and it's much better at adjusting the intensity of flavor which differs between chopped, sliced, diced, minced, and crushed.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
My wife uses a lot of garlic. Enough that we won’t ever have a vampire issue. We pick up a five pound bag of peeled garlic every six to eight weeks. I just take the bag and run it through the meat grinder attachment on the kitchenaid. I end up with a couple jars of garlic. It gets a little yellow, but never spoils and seems to taste fine.

Most of the cooking I do, I use sliced garlic.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Very nice BC! Even if you're just showing off. Big Grin
like most produce, while I have access to some very fresh fruit, I wish I had access to fresher garlic.

Posts: 7317 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post