SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sigforum Carpenters, a bit of your wisdom,please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum Carpenters, a bit of your wisdom,please Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
My wife's closet has a wooden 4 drawers piece. It stands against a brick wall on one side and the bottom.

It's leaning badly away from the wall,to the side that has no external support. The drawers wooden guides barely reach them and the whole thing stands together only by thin nails.

It's becoming unusable and infuriating.

Can't afford a qualified carpenter to come look at it and fix it. Our currency just took a 35% dive this month and everybody is cash hungry/starved. Prices going bananas.

Would it be wise to straighten it up and glue it together or what can be easily done to keep it going for the next century or two?

For those who'll want me to run to the closest Home Depot, let me remind you that I'm located in Argentina. Cool

Thank you for your time.
0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
can you strap it to the wall in someway to prevent it from tipping,

as in a metal strap (band) screwed or nailed to the inside where is it not visible, going from the wall to the furniture?

pics would help if possible

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
pics would help if possible

I agree. This would help in seeing the problems and suggesting fixes.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Diagonal cross-brace across the back? Pulls the offending corners together.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Yes, Please post a couple of pictures.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Does it stand on legs? How big is this chest? If its available in you area I would fasten a thin sheet of something like plywood to the backside. Pull it square and use a few nails or screws to install. Maybe just put a screw in each corner pull it square and pull a piece of wire tight from corner to corner.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
PL Premium is a construction cement that will glue wood to brick. Get a tube of that. Very permanent.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would it be wise to straighten it up and glue it together or what can be easily done to keep it going for the next century or two?

Yes, exactly what needs to be done.
Empty everything out and straighten it up reglue or renail (actually both).
If some support is needed add some plywood to the back or a piece of wood or metal.

Good Luck.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would it be wise to straighten it up and glue it together

Absolutely some of the modern glues are amazing. Just do a little research on the net for the correct glue for the job.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Is the back of the piece open or is there a cover on it?
If the back is not covered, or if the cover is not nailed on well, then attaching/fixing a thin sheet of paneling on the back that is attached to the top, bottom and both sides will help square it up.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3852 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Yes, exactly what needs to be done.
Empty everything out and straighten it up reglue or renail (actually both).
If some support is needed add some plywood to the back or a piece of wood or metal.

Good Luck.
^^^This. My bet is it has no back on it, and adding a piece of say 1/4 inch plywood, glued, screwed, or nailed to the back should both square it up and support it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Yes, gluing it together square, then gluing (and tacking) the back back on is a great idea. Laying it flat on the kitchen table, using heavy twine, tightened with a stick, like a tourniquet (assuming you have no clamps) will pull it tightly together. Back in the day, fixing stuff was standard practice.

When you reset it in the closet use a shim(s) to make it sit level. Even a spot of glue on the shims is not a bad idea.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Will try to post pics soon.

Back is open but the piece is nailed to the wall, now twisted and remaining firmly twisted.

0-0

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I would simply lay it face down on the floor and nail a piece of 1/4" plywood to the back, to square it up. I would not use glue in the casework itself. If in any doubt about the "sqaureness", measure the diagonals from corner to corner. When they are equal, it is square. Then, if you want, glue the case to the brick wall. You may need shims under the cabinet if the brick wall is out of plumb.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
This thing actually has a single side and a top. Will have to look closely how it is fixed at the base. The other side is just a few sticks.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Photos. Need photos. From multiple angles, if possible. Even small/lo-res.

Glue (I'd tend toward Gorilla Glue for wood) and screw or nail might do it. Or might not. Need photos.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post