SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ham Radio: First DX Contact Today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ham Radio: First DX Contact Today Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
There have been several threads on amateur radio, as well as other forms of radio communication.

Today was my first "DX" or distance contact. I spoke briefly with a ham in Spain, EA7JWF.

Could I have done this without the internet? Yes, but it was certainly easier with a website that allows hams to note their contacts and share frequencies of interest. With that info, I tuned to the frequency he was on, and connected briefly.

I find it amazing that from my home in central VA, with 100 watts, and a simple off-center-fed wire antenna, that I can speak with a person nearly 4000 miles away. My antenna is about 25 feet up in a tree, and the 55-foot antenna wire slopes down to only 6 feet off the ground. His webpage shows a tower with a yagi antenna. Mine is a wire and a transformer, costing $140. Coaxial cables cost another $140.

I'm grateful that with minimal cost and simple equipment that I can communicate. I can see how amateur radio will be very important in our future when things change.

I can carry everything I need to communicate in one box. I don't need grid power, as I can run off a car battery. I don't need a tower, just a little paracord and a weight to toss over a tall branch. It takes me about ten minutes to put my antenna up, and connect all the coaxial cables. I don't need an expensive grounding system, ground rods, lightning protection, etc. I just hoist the antenna when I want to talk and take it down afterwards.

All this to say...if I can do it, anyone can. Equipment does not make the operator, just as an X5 from Germany does not make one a better shooter. Getting sufficient equipment, and getting it out there, makes all the difference.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4MUL8R,

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
That is what I am aiming for, too cool. Which website was that which has frequencies of interest.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In third grade I found myself in the principals office.
( Eastern Iowa)
"64"

Mr. Lauffer sat me down at his desk, and asked if I
Wanted to talk to Texas,
( W.t.h. I thought)

He

Dialed some guy in and we talked for six minutes .

I left soon there after wondering what the hell worm hole i wandered in too.

He had a giant antenna on the school roof

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on that first DX contact! You will remember that one forever. 73

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your first HF contact!

HF is where the real fun in Amateur Radio is, not just DX but even domestically. 100w with a wire from your location in to EU is a cake walk. I have to do it from the PNW, but I have had real talks for extended periods of time when conditions are good from 20-10 meter bands. 40 is a big stretch for me, but I have done it at times, but very rare. You should have some success on 40M from your location - certainly to the UK.

Even due south such as the Falkland. It is very doable on a 100W. I had a short chat with a Falkland station a week ago so on 20M - no pile up either. It looks like he was on a RAF base/facility there.

You'll be surprised what 100 watts and a wire can do, especially when conditions are good to great.

HF as part of E-comm is very important, even for near in comms, say a 1 to 500 mile radius in which 100 and a wire will do pretty well from 10-80 meter bands.

Have fun.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the contact.

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I love HF DX! Congrats! Trying to get a contact with the ISS is a cool goal too.

Posts: 6014 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://www.dxwatch.com/

This webpage displays nearly real time contacts made and allows the operator to choose a frequency on which DX contacts can be made.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

If you’re not aware of QRZ.com LINK bookmark it. Use their free logging to keep your contacts in. Join and participate in the FORUM section. Live band activity widget. Online call sign lookup. Much more.

De N5USS 73’s

Exit to add: Anyone can use a cell phone and email. It’s satisfying to take some wire and such, minimal equipment and work the world.

Field Day Link is coming. You have to attend and participate. Do it!

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Congrats..... Caught KC4AAA Antartica South Pole with 100 watts power output .. with the antenna was a 2 story apartment building metal inveted "L" shaped rain gutter........Caught JT1CO located in Mongolia with 100 watts power output operating mobile (94 jeep Cherokee) antenna was a full blown full size 10-80meter HF "BUGCATCHER" antenna mounted center front bumper.. BIG/Ugly/but beautiful to me but it worked.. If I could hear them them odds were I could work them ... Europe / Asia / Australia / South America / Africa / Middle East / World Wide..... But my secret weapon is my call sign KL7jiu (Alaska) ( Uncle Sam was my travel agent) (Vanity re-issue) (catches attention which allows me to break into pile-ups) but actually living and operating from south eastern state of Louisiana... All is fair in Love / War / and DX...... And as far as attending Field Day Operating anyone can attend without being a ticked operator.. Come check it out in your local areas............... de KL7jiu / Keith / aka drill sgt.

Posts: 2010 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post