SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    looking now for 'meat thermometer'....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking now for 'meat thermometer'.... Login/Join 
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Thermapen. Probably need more than 1

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2040 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, I switched to cooking to temperature not time and it made a step change in my cooking. Everything is juicy and flavorful since it's cooked to the perfect temperature.

Here are my tools:
  • Constant monitoring for food that takes longer because "if you're lookin' you ain't cookin'" I own a Maverick ET-733, but if I were shopping today I'd likely buy a ThermoWorks Smoke due to the skinnier food probe (the Maverick's probe is thick). I certainly don't stay outdoors next to the BGE for hours in Houston's summer nor did I in winter when I lived in Anchorage and Calgary.
  • Instant check to determine final doneness or food that cooks shorter. I own as ThermoWorks ThermaPen Classic, and love it. Super fast, super accurate, and durable. There is a newer version out now, the ThermoWorks Thermapen Mk 4

You'll notice all of the links point towards Amazingribs.com. All of their gold medal rated reviews have been excellent products IME. Their recipes are designed by a chef, tested by a chef, they have a meat scientist on staff, and best of all everything has been delicious. IMO, the best BBQ reference on the Internet.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23660 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    "Member"
    Picture of cas
    posted Hide Post
    The thermoworks stuff is tempting me because they have high temp probe that aren't crazy priced. I kill several thermometers a year with over heating, which is why I never buy a good one.

Posts: 21346 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Funny Man
    Picture of TXJIM
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Skins2881:
    quote:
    Originally posted by TSE:
    I bought a thermapen based on the forum recommendation and it has been fantastic. My only complaint is that it is right handed operation and I am a lefty. I use it all the time.

Is this a joke? I don't understand?

If you have the probe anything but completely extended, the temp display is facing away from you if you are holding it in your left hand, assuming the probe is pointed down.. If fully extended you can get the display facing you but it's upside down....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    The new models automatically rotate the display.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of dsiets
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TXJIM:
    quote:
    quote:
    I bought a thermapen based on the forum recommendation and it has been fantastic. My only complaint is that it is right handed operation and I am a lefty. I use it all the time.

If you have the probe anything but completely extended, the temp display is facing away from you if you are holding it in your left hand, assuming the probe is pointed down.. If fully extended you can get the display facing you but it's upside down....

The Mk 4 flips the display. Might be a solution.

Posts: 7485 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by dsiets:
    quote:
    Originally posted by TXJIM:
    quote:
    quote:

The Mk 4 flips the display. Might be a solution.

That's the one I own, so I guess that's why I was confused. Works great at any angle.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Funny Man
    Picture of TXJIM
    posted Hide Post
    I have had mine a while, love it but the display doesn't flip so it's a right hand only model.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of heisrizn
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bettysnephew:
    And if the Thermapen is totally out of the budget a very close second is the Thermopop. Not quite as fast but still pretty quick. Both sold by Thermoworks. Either of those far outranks whatever is in 3rd place.

I use the pop too. 6sec readings.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    goodheart
    Picture of sjtill
    posted Hide Post
    We have both, and have given Thermopens to a number of friends and family as gifts, always appreciated!
    (I use the Thermopop for my bath water!)

Posts: 18352 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Took me a year before buying a Thermapen. I thought all these guys were nuts, $100 for a thermometer!

I bought one when they were on sale, I believe it was a reconditioned model.

It works great and is extremely fast.

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Conveniently located directly
    above the center of the Earth
    Picture of signewt
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I have had mine a while, love it but the display doesn't flip so it's a right hand only model.

that'll be ok, I have only right handed charcoal.....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
    "I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
    ~SIGforum advisor~
    "When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Mistake Not...
    Picture of Loswsmith
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by cas:
    The thermoworks stuff is tempting me because they have high temp probe that aren't crazy priced. I kill several thermometers a year with over heating, which is why I never buy a good one.

Just buy one Thermapen and you'd never have to get another thermometer again. There's a reason why you buy one. They are, for the money, probably the best actual value vs. utility for a kitchen implement.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2070 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Just ordered an MK4, sure beats the thermometer I've been using.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I use one by iDevices, called iGrillmini, easy and accurate and controlled by my iPhone.

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of rangeme101
    posted Hide Post
    I bought Lavatools, PRO model @ $49.99, thermometer. looks like a Therma copy. Excellent reviews. It has the features the Mk4 has. The standard Lavatool is $24.99.

Bought through Amazon. Just under 500 reviews with just under 5 stars. I have been very satisfied. 8 months owning now and I cook on grill 3-5 times a week.

I wanted the Thermapen due to the gotta have it crowd here. But just never could go $100.

https://lavatools.co

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1310 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Striker in waiting
    Picture of BurtonRW
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by rangeme101:
    I bought Lavatools, PRO model @ $49.99, thermometer. looks like a Therma copy. Excellent reviews. It has the features the Mk4 has. The standard Lavatool is $24.99.

Bought through Amazon. Just under 500 reviews with just under 5 stars. I have been very satisfied. 8 months owning now and I cook on grill 3-5 times a week.

I wanted the Thermapen due to the gotta have it crowd here. But just never could go $100.

https://lavatools.co

Braggarts, they are! Quote from their website:

We brought the food thermometer to the 21st century.
    For too long we've had to put up with cheap, inaccurate, and sluggish thermometers that look more suited for a hospital than a kitchen. That's why we designed the Javelin. Unlike many other thermometers, the Javelin is fast, precise, durable, and loaded with useful features.

What bullshit.

If they had said, "We thought that other precision thermometer was neat, but too expensive, so we got close for 1/2 the price," I'd congratulate them. But noooo.....

They go and act like they invented the form factor - only theirs is at least a second slower (4 vs. 2-3), less accurate (+/-0.9 vs. +/-0.7), and less waterproof (IP65 vs. IP67).

Hubris, thy name is Lavatools!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Damn you all!!!!!

I've been holding out forever... welll....

Happy Father's Day to me Smile

Mk4 and a smoke ordered

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6294 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Chip away the stone
    Picture of rusbro
    posted Hide Post
    I must admit, I got a little nervous opening this thread, since the words 'meat thermometer' are in quotes.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by sigmonkey:
    Sir... Are you classified as human?

Every time I saw this thread title I thought that.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post