SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Retirement date set. "UPDATE"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retirement date set. "UPDATE" Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
At least for three more years, once my wife becomes Medicare eligible it will help. Also,plans are to start shopping for a 24' Class C motorhome next year once the car payments have gone away.

Three and a half summers on the road when I was representing the dealership and it's performance parts business taught me one thing. I hate hotels and motels. I still have fond memories of the Plantar's Wart that took six months to be rid of.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8380 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
SS paperwork has been received, Medicare supplement in place.

Part time work, two and a half days a week.

Another grandchild due in October from eldest daughter. Youngest daughter, son-in-law and grandson have a house purchased, they will soon be out.

Only regret is that I have about 2k in C/C debt due to vet bills, tires for wife's car and medical co-pays since the first of March that will carry over, hoped to have a zero balance but that's life.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8380 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Congrats.

Today, I met up with an ex-co-worker from a couple of companies. Traded stories and had lunch and coffee at a coffee shop that is owned and run by another ex-co-worker of mine.

I still have stuff to keep me busy but I can take a nap anytime I want or stay up as long as I want without having to worry about needing to wake up in the morning.

I think as soon as I settle down, I'm going to find a McDonalds where I can hang out with a group of old men who nurse their one cup of coffee through the whole meeting and just shoot the breeze.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20021 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Congrats it's a great feeling I know. I retired from my corporate job exactly 4 years ago 2 days ago. I still work in the family distribution business 5 days a week usually 6 hours a day sometimes longer but compared to my corporate job I don't consider this work.

I get my first social security check in July so I'm getting closer to full retirement. My son is prepping to take my spot when I'm ready to go and then eventually the entire business will be his when the wife is ready. She's about 4 years behind me.

I still do my bbq catering in the summer for a little extra cash and something I really enjoy.

I'm enjoying my what I call my semi retired status now and looking forward to what lies ahead!
Enjoy yourself and don't be apprehensive. As long as you got your finances aligned all will be good!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8617 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
A short while after you retire you will wonder how you ever had time to work. Big Grin

Congratulations!

Posts: 12947 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
It doesn't seem possible, but it's already been 22 months since I retired. I couldn't be happier. I play guitar every day for at least an hour--sometimes much more. Starting to really reap the benefit of that ability to dedicate myself. A few shop projects, a long walk with our dog, some time here in the Forum and...my wife is home from work (one disadvantage of having a younger wife).

Enjoy it my friend

ETA: shopping for a Corvette now. Spent a life with horses instead of MCs and too late to climb on one now, but we would like a fun way of traveling too.

Posts: 13565 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
A short while after you retire you will wonder how you ever had time to work. Big Grin

Congratulations!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2149 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
June 30th. Hopefully no regrets as I'm a bit apprehensive but it's time

Congratulations!

We're retiring on the same date Smile

I'm not apprehensive in the least. Save one summer, over forty years ago, when I took a summer off, I've been working, continuously, for some 46 years.

I've done my time. I want to retire while I still have some time left to enjoy it--preferably w/o the use of a walker or one of those scooters Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

I've never met anybody (myself included), who wished that they had never retired.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no regrets for retiring.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I made the jump on March 31st. No regrets.

Posts: 9253 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6733 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lifes new beginning.

Posts: 785 | Location: Eastern Ma. | Registered: November 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am happy for you brother. Don't be apprehensive. Embrace it. You will love it. There are challenges but beats the hell out of being a working stiff for someone else.
You will continue to work, but just for yourself. Which is not really work.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19707 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The 11th of this month will make it 6 years since I retired. Absolutely no regrets. I can't stress enough how important it is to contribute to your 401Ks and getting to be debt free.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
You're going to like it, believe me.

Posts: 1795 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hopefully no regrets as I'm a bit apprehensive but it's time

I think everyone who is getting close is apprehensive, I know I was. May 30th was five years for me and I love every day of retirement and so will you. Good luck and congratulations.

Posts: 2130 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I retired the first time (from USAF) in 1980 and spent 6 months living with my parents to be sure they were doing OK, then sought a job. Went to work for Texas Instruments in Dallas, Texas and worked for them 26 years before retiring a second time in 2006. The day I retired I took off my watch and don't wear one now. (There are clocks everywhere, though.)

During most of the year I have many regular activities I participate in, and church is all year. I typically travel some during the summer months. I also have 6 cats living with me, one of which is sitting next to me right now.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Wife and I retired on the same day in 2015. We have had nothing but fun after working for nearly 50 years. We have wintered in sunny, warm, dangerous Mexico and summered in Montana. We have traveled, read, visited kids and generally smiled every day when we roll out of bed.

It is a long, hard race to retirement - but worth it.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post