SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Retirement date set. "UPDATE"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retirement date set. "UPDATE" Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
June 30th. Hopefully no regrets as I'm a bit apprehensive but it's time

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shovelhead,

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8106 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Good for you. Congrats. Have you started a calendar yet??

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife marked it on the home calendar. I'm tracking months now. Next milestone is April, company anniversary date and vacation time. One week in April, one in May.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8106 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Good for you brother. I am sure you have earned it.
Cool

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19189 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
Good for you my friend. Here is to a prosperous retirement!

Shawn

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Some goodness right there!

Any plans?

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:

Any plans?

A few. Part time H-D dealership, been in that since 1999. A couple other offers, hot rod/muscle car shop,another from a dealer in car restoration parts. All being looked at but with an eye on less hours (10 a day got old) and not more than four days a week.

Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
May God Bless you on your next Journey.

Roy

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
Trust me. You won't look back.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
quote:

Any plans?

A few. Part time H-D dealership, been in that since 1999. A couple other offers, hot rod/muscle car shop,another from a dealer in car restoration parts. All being looked at but with an eye on less hours (10 a day got old) and not more than four days a week.

If you don't have to work anymore, why not travel the country......on a motorcycle.

I was gone from Tucson two, three months at a time. Cross country. Pacific Coast Highway. Did Sturgis a couple of times. Daytona Bike Week three times. A bunch of East coast BMW motorcycle rallies on a Gold Wing....they don't care what motor you're on.

Do it while you're young.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Glad for you.
Before I retired I found an app for my phone, a countdown app.
It displayed time to retirement on the lock screen.

Any time anyone ask me about when or if I was really leaving I just pulled out my phone and showed them the countdown clock! Good fun!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
quote:

Any plans?

If you don't have to work anymore, why not travel the country......on a motorcycle. ...

I was going to post about the same thing. I assume that as a part-time H-D dealer you probably own a Harley. You should use some of that free time you will have to make some postponed longer trips.

I don't own a motorcycle (any more--long story) but after I retired (the second time) in 2005 I embarked on an 85-day 11,750-mile solo auto trip in my 1966 Mustang V-8. I spent several months planning the trip on Excel® (spreadsheet listing all places to visit, who to see, when I'd be there, etc.) and a corresponding map for the route to be followed. Both were on a laptop I took with me and used as my navigator in real-time; changes could be entered at any time, too. I was exhausted when I got home again, but it was definitely worth it--a trip of a lifetime! Photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157631809934247/.

Just do it! Just because you can!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I wish you the best in the new Chapter of life!

I have ~10 years to go myself...

-----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
quote:

Any plans?

If you don't have to work anymore, why not travel the country......on a motorcycle.

I was gone from Tucson two, three months at a time. Cross country. Pacific Coast Highway. Did Sturgis a couple of times. Daytona Bike Week three times. A bunch of East coast BMW motorcycle rallies on a Gold Wing....they don't care what motor you're on.

Good suggestion GW and it's my recommendation as well shovelhead. Choosing when to retire is a major decision but it sounds like you've thought it out. My goal was to be retired by 55 which I missed by 2 years but I've never looked back and am enjoying every day of it. I always thought if I were to work part time the last place would be at a motorcycle shop because when they need help (all Summer) is when I want off. LOL for me maybe a snowmobile dealer, or wood stove shop.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

I retired two years ago, best thing ever.

It's like being a kid on permanent summer vacation, you're going to love it.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Congrats sir, I am jumping ship around the middle of June also.

Posts: 5303 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
These threads are the reason why I save 18% of my salary and the wife saves 12% of hers! Good for you, and enjoy the countdown and retirement!

Do some things you've always wanted to!

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.
Took the day off to have taxes done and to meet with our retirement planner.
Last year he told us we can technically afford it just about anytime we want.
But the wife tends to be very conservative and has longevity on her side so I'd like to build a bit more cushion.
Our biggest concern still is healthcare cost being an unknown. Hopefully that will shake out a bit sooner than later. Only 56 ans 51 respectively so current options there are limited.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Pal has pretty much decided on retiring at the end of the next school year. I can't really say when I can do it because we will have to put my business up for sale.

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I retired on June 20th 2011 and I'm really glad I took the plunge when I did. I'll never forget the day when our financial planner looked me in the eye and said "I see no reason why you can't retire anytime you want". Three months later I was gone.

I never thought about a part time job. Don't need the money and I can find something to keep me busy anytime I have the need to be busy. If you can, I'd forget the part time job and go for total freedom. You won't regret it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post