Notify
Tools

Ipad question Login/Join 
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted
I just bought an older ipad air.

I am trying to set it up and when I get to backup from icloud thats it. It says the OS isn’t current enough.

Is there some way around that?

Thanks,
Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
Does it prompt you to update it before performing the restore? It's supposed to do that.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Nope. I have an older iPad mini that's in the same boat. Apple only provides OS updates for a finite period of time, after which you're stuck with an ipad that only 'kinda' works.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
had that issue picked up one on Woot, it was too old to update and allow the installation of many apps including Amazon Kindle app.

Woot took it back and we had to choose a model and pay a bit more, which was fine, to get one that will update properly.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Are you able to just set it up as new (not from a back up)?

Are you trying to cloud back up from an ipad that had a newer ios version not supported by that air?

Here is a list of ipads and the final ios supported.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Depends on a few things. The list 2012BOSS posted will let you know if it's currently supported. If it's out of support I'm not sure if there is anything you can do.

Here is a link to the above list.

ipad list

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16402 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I was able to set it up with no iCloud backup.
That’s just fine for what I need it for.

Thanks guys,
Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
That’s the issue I am dealing with some of the Apps will not allow me to down load stating they need 13 OS. My IPad Air 2 is as far as it can go on OS updates. I am SOL! Will be looking for a new one soon.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Interesting topic.

I have ( and typing this on) a Ipad on 9.3 OS.
Of course no software upgrades are available, I'm going to keep using it as long as possible.
And of course, the browser not being supported.

Been noticing internet lags, my broadband buffers more over the past year. But, I've really used it a lot.

Recently purchased a 10" HD Fire Tablet and a Samsung Galaxy S6 Lite as possible replacements, but finding I still favor the IPad. I may get another IPad if this one conks. Wish I could afford the Pro model.

Giving one of the new tablets to wife.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Nope. I have an older iPad mini that's in the same boat. Apple only provides OS updates for a finite period of time,...

To be fair, though, it's a pretty long time. Five years? Five model versions? I know the latest iOS version, 14.x, is available for the iPhone 6S, which was released in 2015.

Heck, my Series 1, Gen. 2 Apple Watch is still getting updates. (I'll be upgrading it to an SE soon, though.)

We just upgraded my wife to a Pro for the 12 in. screen. She used her old iPad extensively, and the battery was getting weak. I'm posting this using the same thing she had: A 2017 iPad 9.7 in., which is running iOS 14.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post