SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I just received a phone message from the Chinese Center for Disease Control & Prevention
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just received a phone message from the Chinese Center for Disease Control & Prevention Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
Automated female voice speaking first in English, Identifying themselves, followed by a different female voice speaking in what I presume is some Chinese dialect. No reason for the call was given..at least not in any language I could understand.

Caller ID indicated a local number...which I'm guessing it is not...

...so, now I'm wondering what kind of scam this could be? Simply fishing for live phone numbers?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
The ChiComs are trying to determine how well their plan to infect us is working ...

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
The ChiComs are trying to determine how well their plan to infect us is working ...

Guess I should've taken the call then. Wink

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Your takeout order is ready for pickup.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The IRS and Social Security scams are wearing thin as more people become aware of them, so the scammers are trying something new. With me, it's e-mails purporting to be from a bank that I have no account with wanting me to "verify my identity."

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I've heard of several scams where they tell you you've been in contact with someone who is infected and that you need to be tested. Then they try to get all kinds of sensitive information from you.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Your takeout order is ready for pickup.

No MSG and Wuhu on the side please.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Don't be so suspicious! It's your Chinese neighbor and she's hoping you can direct her to the nearest bat colony!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10195 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I've heard of several scams where they tell you you've been in contact with someone who is infected and that you need to be tested. Then they try to get all kinds of sensitive information from you.

This was my first thought...but as they didn't leave a call back number or reason for the call, at least not in English, I'm not sure what info they could gather. Hmm, maybe the voice speaking in Chinese listed and requested this type of info...which would suggest they might be targeting people who could speak Chinese.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
Don't be so suspicious! It's your Chinese neighbor and she's hoping you can direct her to the nearest bat colony!

Don't laugh, I have an Asian neighbor...although I think he may be Vietnamese.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
The IRS and Social Security scams are wearing thin as more people become aware of them, so the scammers are trying something new. With me, it's e-mails purporting to be from a bank that I have no account with wanting me to "verify my identity."

I got a phone call from Social Security several days ago. A pleasant female voice asked me for my SS number.

I said sure: it's 123456789.

She then hung up. The nerve of her...hanging up on me.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Yeah, I've received a handful of those banking ones as well recently...along with a spate of banking offers and lottery winnings from Nigerian "officials".

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:

I got a phone call from Social Security several days ago. A pleasant female voice asked me for my SS number.

I said sure: it's 123456789.

She then hung up. The nerve of her...hanging up on me.
Try using 042-68-4425.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
8675309 my name is Jenny !!!!

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I had one super power, it would be to find all these scam phone centers, pull the fire alarm, wait 3 minutes, and then nuke the place.

There's a special corner in Hell for these scammers.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Our Governor is urging residents of Michigan to answer all calls presently in the interest of tracking persons that may have been exposed.

If they want to contact me then they can use USPS, FedEx or UPS to deliver notice to me.

Like I'm going to give some unknown person any information over the phone.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8103 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Our Governor is urging residents of Michigan to answer all calls presently in the interest of tracking persons that may have been exposed.

Well, in the interests of "public safety", your Governor should be modelling this behavior...better put her on speed dial. Wink