SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    phone upgrade time
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

phone upgrade time Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Now that I have FaceID and wireless charging It would be difficult to go back,

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
re: "Can you expand on your hate for the Galaxy 9?"

no real 'hate' just gradual disappointment in the numerous tiny moments of decreasing satisfaction.

example: Now well into the 3rd (or is it 4th?) year, original battery has to be fed several times daily. Sometimes just sitting with it in my pocket, it will go from "93% charge" to "79%" with no use, maybe a short phone call. If it gets below 80%, in very short order used or not, suddenly ""63%" arrives, it then will take several hours to resusitate. If >40% figure 3+ hours back to 100%.

At times it disconnects call, often when I'm just at my desk not moving.

Sometimes it goes to sleep and is hard to revive.

It will mysteriously come to some active page site while lying on a desk, requiring "close all" to dismiss, yet many times it's some site I've never seen, or some function on the inactive apps I've never accessed.

Sometimes it resets its on 'on/off' settings choices. My 'do not disturb' may change itself randomly.

I'm just overwhelmed by the amount of choices available.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: signewt,

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Instead of an SE, spend $100 more and get a X, or $200 more and get an 11. Face ID, Qi charging, and improved cameras are worth it.

$100 here, $100 there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money Wink

"Worth it" is, of course, in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I don't regard any of those being worth another $200, or even an additional $100.

I will concede, though, face i.d. is nice. My wife has it on her new iPad Pro.

My wife and I upgraded our iPhone 6S' to the new SE's a couple months back. We're happy with them.

It’s true that you can easily let the pricing get out of control, but consider this. If you keep phones for several years, there’s a good chance that a current SE will have zero trade-in value, while an 11 will have close to $200, making it nearly the same price in the end. Also, there’s no comparing the night mode camera of an eleven to the SE. The eleven blows it away.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
In my research for current replacement models, I came across a work up on the pending S21 Android....

dang.....I may have to cripple along on what I already got for a bit.

Sweet Bride is now searching actively for HER choice of flip-phone replacement.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Now that I have FaceID and wireless charging It would be difficult to go back,
Never had face ID, but I'll swap wireless charging for OnePlus' WARP charging any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I can plug in for 10 minutes in an airport and have everything I need to get through the rest of my day. And that's 30 watt fast charging. I can only imagine what OnePlus' new 60 watt fast charging is like. Eek

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
If you go for the 12, get the 12, not the mini. Trust me on this.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12642 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
get the 12, not the mini. Trust me on this.

got specifics? That's the one Sweet Bride has been more interested in so far...I need a bigger screen for my Geezer Vision.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Bigger phones are nice, except they can limit how you carry them and they're more difficult too one-hand. Those are a couple reasons why Mrs. Ensigmatic and I went with iPhone SE's.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:
get the 12, not the mini. Trust me on this.

got specifics? That's the one Sweet Bride has been more interested in so far...I need a bigger screen for my Geezer Vision.

Get her what she wants then.

You are making the right decision for you. Battery life. That’s the main thing. I have a 12 pro. 5G does consume some battery when you hit one of those towers. Nothing massive but you notice it. The other part of battery life is if you plan on keeping it for a while, Youtake into account battery loss unless you want to get one ever year or other year.

I played with the mini, it’s great, but I still think a hair small. The best size in all the years of the iPhone to me was the X. Full screen but not 6”. Nice balance of small size, light weight and screen size to do X task. I wanted the mini too, badly. I’ve been waiting for a smaller size full screen Iphone for a long time. It’s too small to me for 2020. Even if your vision is crystal, too small of real estate unless you are strictly using it for comms only. If so, you’r fine. But smaller screen, smaller keyboard (email and to a lesser degree sms/iMessage), etc. You can’t figure it out looking at the phones online. Go to the store and finger fuck. Use the thing, do some normal tasks you’d do. Then decide. To me for 2020 the regular 12 is the sweet spot. I only got the Pro for resale value as I’ll have it 30 months. I got $700 out of ATT for my old phone. Bastards changed it from $800 to $700 on November 5th I think. I couldn’t order one until the 9th. I need 128Gb so it was $150 difference between the 12 128Gb and the Pro. So I paid $150 for the additional ram, camera, and brightness of the screen. But the brightness difference is bullshit, it’s the ram and cam. If I were to do it again, I’d probably go 12 128Gb, and pay $149 out of pocket instead of $299.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12642 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
About 3 weeks ago I took my son to the Verizon store, with the intention of buying an iPhone 12 Pro for myself and giving my son my current X.
Verizon was having a BOGO deal, so I bought 2 12 Pros.
Today I was shopping for an iPad, and found out I could get $200 (or maybe $250 off) because I had recently bought an iPhone 12.
Altogether not just one but two smokin’ hot deals if you’re willing to consider a $1000 phone a “deal”.

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
The first SE is based on the 5. I still have mine because I like the size and, for now, it does what I need it to. The SE II is larger being based on the 8 and has newer tech. I got that same Verizon offer for the 12 Mini but not worth spending $700 based on how I use my phone.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post