SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dodged a bullet today (injury related)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dodged a bullet today (injury related) Login/Join 
posted
No, not an actual bullet but it could have been almost as bad. I had the vet out this AM giving some shots and pregnancy checking some young heifers I am going to sell. It was one of those days when things just weren't working right and the cows were not cooperating. I was pushing some in the pen toward the chute and got a little to close to one (ironically one that is generally very calm, easy to work with). Anyway, she decided to let me know that she was pissed off and I was too close to her. I now have the beginnings of a really spectacular hoof-shaped bruise on the center of my torso. Luckily, I just got my breath knocked out. A few inches up or to either side and I could have a cracked sternum or ribs. I guess I needed a reminder to stay alert and not get complacent.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Something similar happened to me in a bar one time. Gotta be careful around those heifers!

Posts: 6474 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bet my heifer outweighed yours by a pound or two. Big Grin

Plus, I will get a little return on my investment with this one. Smile

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Smile And use that little *selfie* button on your smartphone as it change colors over the next several days.

We'd like to share the experience with you.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Congratulations!

Smile And use that little *selfie* button on your smartphone as it change colors over the next several days.

We'd like to share the experience with you.

I was about to post the same thing! Wait a day or two and post a pic!

My wife (coffeeaddict) got kicked by one of our horses a few years ago. Got lucky as well - it was close to her knee, but luckily just out of range enough not to be devastating.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad it's only minor. Broken sternums hurt.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Something similar happened to me in a bar one time. Gotta be careful around those heifers!

I was standing at the bar at the VFW one night minding my own business.

This heifer came up behind me, grabbed my behind and said, "You're kinda cute. You gotta phone number?"

I said, "Yeah, you gotta pen?"

She said, "Yeah, I got a pen".

I said, "You better get back in it before the farmer misses you."

Cost me 6 stitches...but,

When you’re seventy...............who cares? Big Grin

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
growing up in NH i worked on some farms i have been kicked stepped on crushed shit on chased buy bulls and some mean ass horses but the thing that spooked me the most was a pissed off rooster

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
growing up in NH i worked on some farms i have been kicked stepped on crushed shit on chased buy bulls and some mean ass horses but the thing that spooked me the most was a pissed off rooster

Grew up with cows, learned to HATE the sonsabitches. Pretty sure I've posted before on the subject.

Won't have a rooster on the place. Used to get hatchery run chicks for layers and as soon as they got old enough to be sure they were roosters, into the pot they went.

Have occasionally waited too long and had one come after me. I think my distance record for punting a rooster is ~10 yards, deducting for wing assist.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once introduced a mean rooster to a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum.
Problem solved.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
You get careless and let two Holsteins in a stanchion barn pin you between them.

Like being immobilized between two black & white hair-on upholstered 1200lb My Pillows.
Your arms are immobilized, you can't shove them off,
and the one on the right puts her left rear hoof on your instep, inside a non-steel toe soft rubber boot.
And then, as you swear by God and all that is High and Holy when telling the story for the rest of your life,
she turns her head in the stanchion, and smiles at you like the Cheshire Cat as she somehow shifts all her considerable bovine weight to that left rear limb.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I grew up around farm animals. I guess I was lucky to never get hurt by them.

My brother got caught between 2 cows at feeding time. He had broken ribs and all kind of bruises. Really screwed him up. Cows are dumb.

I know people, farmers and ranchers, who have worked stock all their lives, smart and experienced, wary and cautious, who were flat out killed in a flash. BOOM just like that. I know one old farmer, probably 70 years old, wise alert and experienced. He was out, alone, feeding cattle. He didn’t come back at the usual time so they went to look for him. Found him stone cold dead, gored by a damn bull. Best guess is a cranky bull came around the pickup, he never saw it, and got it in the back. What a nasty way to die.

They found the bull, it had blood on its horns. They killed it, shot it over and over again, right then and there.

Peacocks won’t kill you, they’ll just give you a heart attack. Mom had several. Beautiful creatures, they’d silently sneak around and get right behind you. Damn things scream loudly and it sounds like a human woman screaming. You’ll jump!

It was a fad for awhile to raise Ostriches. They’re bad tempered and can tear you up real bad, and easily kill you. They kick like the devil and their hooves are nasty. Don’t go near an Ostrich.

Yeah, roosters. Mother Cluckers they are! There’s nothing nice about getting spurred by those little bastards.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is not the first time I have been hurt by cattle and I am sure it won't be the last. I have been stepped on, head butted and slammed against the wall of a pen. About a year ago I was careless closing a trailer gate on a cow and let go of it before it latched and she kicked it back into my head. That one knocked me silly for a few seconds and left me with a nice scar on my scalp. I am just lucky she stayed in the front of the trailer instead of trampling me.

No photos to share for the kick to the abdomen from this week, it did not bruise like I thought it would. Sore as hell, though. No crunches for me for a while. Smile