SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a moving company recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a moving company recommendation Login/Join 
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted
We are a couple of months out from relocating from Alabama to Missouri. Does anybody have an interstate mover that they’ve been happy with?

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We used Two Men and a Truck from Michigan to Colorado and the same crew who packed us out, were the the same guys who packed us in 3 days later. Nothing broken or missed. Couldn’t have gone better.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Used 2 Men and a Truck locally, those guys hustled and did an amazing job. Interstate, inteviewed a couple of companies, ended up using the local Mayflower franchise, which moved us from a house to a rental home and a storage unit, later we used 2MAAT again for the local move from rental to our new house and to bring the storage unit stuff to the new house. Overall, all three moves were fine, Mayflower did do a significant amount of packing for us, and did a good job, but I think the 2MAAT guys did it best - they were clearly focused on doing the job both quickly but also well. Of course, those were local moves also.

I'd suggest interviewing/get quotes from a couple companies and then go with your gut as to whom you think will provide the best service.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've moved a whole bunch of times and the shortest was 350 miles. What you want is an owner/operator contracted to a moving company, and he/she has the ENTIRE contract. The only ones that went shitty were the ones without owner/operators who had the entire contract from start to finish.

The owner/operator is a contractor to the moving company, and he/she hires the local guys on both ends of the move. The ones who have been in the business a long time have people they like to work with because they work hard and do a good job. There must be a pretty good deductible for their insurance because the few things that get damaged they usually pay in cash.

The ones who didn't have owner/operators (Houston to Alaska, Alaska to Calgary) the driver doesn't give a shit because he isn't there on the other end having to look you in the eye when something is broken. Also, they'll just hire some ex-convicts from the warehouse to pack your stuff (poorly), load your stuff (haphazardly), it usally gets offloaded at a warehouse where they do God knows what without you watching. It'll get reloaded on a truck and moved by someone without you watching, and it might even get unloaded in warehouse on the other end. At your place on the other end, ex-convicts from the warehouse will unload and do the partial unpack.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, don't use United Van Lines.
They came and gave me an estimate. I signed the contract for a move from east coast to west coast.
On the day of the move (New Year's weekend), they didn't show up. I called and they stated that the truck was already full (I only had a partial load for a semi) and was already headed for the west coast. I asked them when they were sending another truck for my stuff. They replied "We aren't. It's a holiday weekend and it would cost too much to get another truck". They didn't offer any apologies or solution. I was just SOL.
I ended up finding a mom n pop operation on short notice who cost me $1000 less than United Van Lines quote.
F United Van Lines.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback.

RNshooter, that's exactly the kind of crap I'm trying to avoid. Allied is another one on my naughty list. I made the mistake of contacting them and my phone has not stopped ringing since. Multiple calls every day. I finally just blocked them.

tatortodd, good advice on the owner/operator. One neck to strangle if something goes bad, and they have incentive for it to not go bad. There's a local company where we are moving to that I might give a call. They do interstate moves and sound like the type of operation you're describing.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
My GF just used Elite Moving & Storage for an interstate move. They subcontracted it out to a local business who is now over 3 weeks late delivering her property. They dont return calls and on the rare occasions they answer the phone they refused to give her any idea when they will arrive. After she got law enforcement involved they said they would deliver within the week. That was last weekend, no call no show. Then they said yesterday, no show but they did text her half an hour after they were supposed to arrive to say they werent coming.

Fuck Elite and Sun City Muscle Movers of Phoenix, AZ.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nukeandpave,

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which moving company you choose is up to you, BUT hand carry in your own car all of your valuables to include all guns.

Some, not all movers have to been known to have "Sticky Fingers".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't say enough good things about New World. We haven't had any damage the three times they've moved us. Their drivers do the all the boxing, loading and unloading so there is no question of responsibility for any damage. All our moves have been corporate so I don't know if they will contract with individuals.

Posts: 991 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Get a pod of some kind, it's such a pain in the ass otherwise.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post