SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    After a FULL days work the Expedition is finally a wee bit taller!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After a FULL days work the Expedition is finally a wee bit taller!! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
So it took a bit longer than planned as the rears are no fun to get back in.
Parts list:
Bilstein 5100 2” leveling struts (Front)
Bilstein 4600 with 2” Readylift spacer (Rear)
Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws 275/70/18 (roughly 33.5x11.5)
RCI Metalworks transmission skid plate (still need to get on)

Don’t mind the dusty Goat in the background. I hope to have her running this summer.

So doing the job on jack stands made it much more difficult having the fronts and rears off at the same time made it exceedingly difficult! I had not planned on that but before I went and rented a spring compressor I asked the neighbor if he had one (he owns an auto shop) He said not at the house but the shop has a wall mounted one. Run the coilovers down there and I’ll tell them to swap them out for you. Huge plus for me as the springperches are a gigantic pain to get off so I did not have to bother.
Everything came out easy. Getting back in was a chore but got done.
I am very happy with how it turned out. Only one minor issue. Bilstein does not make front struts for the Expedition though the strut is shared with the F150. The strut is spec’d To the F150 and spring. Folks have used the 4600 in the front with a spacer with great results. I figured I would give the 5100 a try since it is a adjustable leveling strut and skip the spacer.
The Bilstein top adjustement is a lift of 2”
Well it would seem that when mated with the Expedition spring you get 4” of lift. While under most driving this is not a big deal I found that large bumps really over extended things.
So I will he taking off the fronts and dropping the adjustment down 2 notches hopefully taking me to the desired 2” lift.
Kind of sucks but doing the job once already it won’t take too long 2.5 hours would be my guess.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Looks fantastic. Took a truck and turned it into a beast.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Today’s SUV’s have way too little ground clearance. Your Expedition looks great and not the least bit over-tall. I want to add about 2.5” of lift to my 02 Grand Cherokee- it already has respectable clearance but a little more would really make it more capable.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15632 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks good! That is about what I'm planning for my '16 F150. Just a skosh of lift and level and a little bit bigger tire.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
That GTO...What?!

Dude, c'mon...spill them beans!

Posts: 5158 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah... forget the bus. More on the goat.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2750 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I have a 2016 Expedition EL 4wd. I'm rather ignorant to vehicle mods and things like this. But what's the purpose of doing this? Are you planning on off roading and if so what kind?

I consider mine to be almost a luxury suv and couldn't imagine taking it down some old logging road and getting the body all scratched and dinged up. You mentioned a transmission skid plate so that made me think you are going rock crawling or something with it. Confused

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8539 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Got the GTO in 2000 and drove it some in High School and College been sitting till I had money to fix it right (still waiting on that) though figure it is not going down in value.
1969 Pontiac GTO with the 400 it is an auto but has the his and hers shifter (I don’t know if all auto were his and hers or if that was an option).
My understanding it is pretty much original. It has American Racing Craiger type wheels so they are not original. Had a Holley 750 double pumper that was shot. It was a beast on the highway but not very good to drive in traffic.
I was very young in my car working on days and bought an Edelbrock 650 single pumper Performer and matching intake. The car ran very nicely just cruising but was an absolute dog on the highway.
The main carb fuel line is kinked (have no clue how that happened). I have the new line to install and hope that will give it some go on the highway and not have to swap carbs again.
It was in a damp garage for awhile so the interior is a bit mildewy. I have scrubbed the interior, used an ozone generator but the light musk is still there. I have a humidity controlled garage now.
Hoping just a carpet swap will do away with the must as the seats are vinyl and it is not in the foam.
I am going to try to get her up and running again this summer. Then see what she needs.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I have a 2016 Expedition EL 4wd. I'm rather ignorant to vehicle mods and things like this. But what's the purpose of doing this? Are you planning on off roading and if so what kind?

I consider mine to be almost a luxury suv and couldn't imagine taking it down some old logging road and getting the body all scratched and dinged up. You mentioned a transmission skid plate so that made me think you are going rock crawling or something with it. Confused

More of an overlanding/camping set up. No crazy rock crawling need lockers and a snorkle kind of stuff. There is about 1,000 miles of mapped and routed light off road, heavy gravel, mining, and logging roads here in KY.
There are also a bunch in Indiana I am still researching. Many of them are technically unmaintained county roads.
I also plan on heading out to Colorado to go the fire roads and Alpine loop.
I have dreams of doing the Alcan Highway thanks to our member here that recently did it.
I have an XLT so no luxury. The skids are mainly gravel protection and not huge rocks but may see some.
I am likely going to cut magnets for the doors and fenders to protect from brush stripes on the trails.

————————————————

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Good job!! How do those tires sound going down the highway? They look like they might be pretty noisy but I like the looks of them.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5055 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Good job!! How do those tires sound going down the highway? They look like they might be pretty noisy but I like the looks of them.

They are amazingly quiet.
They are a touch louder than the C load rated highway tread tire they replaced. The ones are 10 ply E rated. Highway speed with the radio at a normal level one does not notice the sound.
Nothing like the ATs of old or the MTs that just moan all time time.
Very impressed.

————————————————

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Good job, Black92LX!
I like the way it looks a little taller.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Black, nice job on your Ford.
How bout a GTO pic?

Posts: 1578 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks great and with the 5 star tune should run great.

My son had his 76 Bronco delivered 2 wks ago and the guy who delivered it had an Expedition on the trailer just like yours. He was delivering it to Cleveland. It was in great shape and had low miles on it.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Definitely agree with you about lowering the front back down 2". Otherwise, looks great.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10501 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It looks a lot better with a slight lift.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21129 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Today’s SUV’s have way too little ground clearance. Your Expedition looks great and not the least bit over-tall. I want to add about 2.5” of lift to my 02 Grand Cherokee- it already has respectable clearance but a little more would really make it more capable.

My 2015 JGC has 8.6" of ground clearance, nearly an inch more than my 2007 TrailBlazer had, and that had had all I ever needed.

I wouldn't mind adding a skid plate, though... just in case Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every truck and suv looks better with a 2 to 4 inch lift. You did a good job.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3548 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Does it fit in the garage now??

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
Looks great and with the 5 star tune should run great.

My son had his 76 Bronco delivered 2 wks ago and the guy who delivered it had an Expedition on the trailer just like yours. He was delivering it to Cleveland. It was in great shape and had low miles on it.

5Star tune is on the wish list

quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Definitely agree with you about lowering the front back down 2". Otherwise, looks great.

4” was not the plan. 2” was I did not think the difference in springs between the F150 and Expedition would make that large of a difference.

quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
Does it fit in the garage now??

Yup still under 7’ in overall height.

————————————————