SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mechanics? Help Needed - 2006 Ford F-150 4.6L Idles Rough/Stumbles
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mechanics? Help Needed - 2006 Ford F-150 4.6L Idles Rough/Stumbles Login/Join 
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RBeach:
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Well, right now I would say that the new EGR is faulty, or there is vacuum to the EGR at idle.

I pulled the vacuum lines off of the EGR while at isle on park, and it smoothed out. There is a very slight vacuum being pulled on the lines.

Top line: approx 11
Bottom line: approx 17

Now we are getting somewhere. The EGR control valve is the next thing to check.

I have 2 vac solenoids that I see. One is above brake booster and the other is on passenger side firewall behind battery.

The one above the brake booster, does it look like it has a cap on it?

Yes. And the bottom vac line has what looks like a green cap as well.

The green cap is for the EVAP system usually. I think that solenoid is your EVAP solenoid. That should not be hooked to the EGR at all.

Posts: 5201 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gimp with
The Limp
Picture of RBeach
posted Hide Post
quote:

The green cap is for the EVAP system usually. I think that solenoid is your EVAP solenoid. That should not be hooked to the EGR at all.

It appears the 2 lines for the EGR come off and go around front and into passenger side of intake and not into a solenoid. I should mention that there is an electronic type of solenoid on top of my EGR valve. I probably should have prefaced with that.

It is Motorcraft part # CX2064 for reference.

RBeach

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Mill, SC | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It appears the 2 lines for the EGR come off and go around front and into passenger side of intake and not into a solenoid. I should mention that there is an electronic type of solenoid on top of my EGR valve. I probably should have prefaced with that.

It is Motorcraft part # CX2064 for reference.

OK, these lines are supposed to have vacuum all of the time. Looks like you have a faulty EGR valve. The solenoid is either partially open or it is being electrically opened.

Posts: 5201 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Where we are now, with the EGR vacuum lines disconnected the engine smooths out. Does this mean it completely smooths out, or just some? Plug off the vacuum lines and go for a quick drive to see how the idle and acceleration feel.

Another check to do, hook the vacuum lines back up and verify rough running. Next disconnect the electrical connector from the solenoid. If the engine smooths out, then there might be a shorted wire, or other wiring issue, up to and including with the PCM.

Gimp with
The Limp
Picture of RBeach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where we are now, with the EGR vacuum lines disconnected the engine smooths out. Does this mean it completely smooths out, or just some? Plug off the vacuum lines and go for a quick drive to see how the idle and acceleration feel.

Another check to do, hook the vacuum lines back up and verify rough running. Next disconnect the electrical connector from the solenoid. If the engine smooths out, then there might be a shorted wire, or other wiring issue, up to and including with the PCM.

I took a test drive with vac lines disconnected and plugged off. Ran like a new truck. No rough idling at stops and no stumbling.

When I got back, I hooked the vac lines back up and started running rough, and I disconnected the electrical connector and that made no change at all.

RBeach

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Mill, SC | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I took a test drive with vac lines disconnected and plugged off. Ran like a new truck. No rough idling at stops and no stumbling.

When I got back, I hooked the vac lines back up and started running rough, and I disconnected the electrical connector and that made no change at all.

Did the new EGR valve come with the solenoid, or did you have to swap it over?

Gimp with
The Limp
Picture of RBeach
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

It is part of the EGR valve on top.

RBeach

Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It is part of the EGR valve on top.

Looks like you got a bad EGR valve.

Was there only one gasket that came with the new valve?

Gimp with
The Limp
Picture of RBeach
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah. Just the metal one.

RBeach

Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yeah. Just the metal one.

One last thing to do before taking that EGR valve back and getting a new one, check the vacuum lines from the intake to the EGR valve for any kinks or damage. Might want to disconnect both sides and blow through them to check for any blockages. This could trap vacuum and can cause issues.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
BWD = Broke When Delivered, as per Eric O. at South Main Auto. Their parts are hit or miss.

https://www.youtube.com/channe...Gzm9e_liY7ko1PBhzTHA

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
BWD = Broke When Delivered, as per Eric O. at South Main Auto. Their parts are hit or miss.

Here again is why I recommend OEM for most if not all emissions parts.

Gimp with
The Limp
Picture of RBeach
posted Hide Post
quote:
One last thing to do before taking that EGR valve back and getting a new one, check the vacuum lines from the intake to the EGR valve for any kinks or damage. Might want to disconnect both sides and blow through them to check for any blockages. This could trap vacuum and can cause issues.

Lines were clear.

RBeach

Gimp with
The Limp
Picture of RBeach
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Taking this one back tomorrow and getting the Motorcraft one.

RBeach

Gimp with
The Limp
Picture of RBeach
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the help.

RBeach

Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Taking this one back tomorrow and getting the Motorcraft one.

Great!

Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for all of the help.

My pleasure.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
BWD = Broke When Delivered

Big Grin And new = Never, Ever Worked.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
RBeach, did the EGR fix the issue?

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
RBeach, did the EGR fix the issue?

I hope so. Then again, maybe he got fed up and pulled the radiator cap off and drove a Toyota under it. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post