SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interior door sources?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interior door sources? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
We're needing to install a standard door on a room in out new house.
Currently has a 15 light wood/glass door on a barn door slider.

This is going to be a bedroom (Was formerly an office) & we want the light/sound obstruction a standard door would give over the slider.

Found what I think will work via both HD & Lowes, but with pretty hefty lead times & definitely pricier than I was expecting.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ma...Door-19723/202872669

This is the style door we have in the rest of the house, and from what I'm reading on these specs, the pre-hung should slide right in to the 33.5" doorway.

Is $400 about the norm for this style, solid core, prehung?

Any other sources to look into apart from these 2? Current lead times are Late July-Early Aug. Really would like this done quickly, as our older 2 are sharing a room until we get the baby's room finished (paint & door install).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One year ago I did nearly the same thing. Yes I found the prices similar.

I initially was going to have a local handyman install the door but it quickly became apparent there was more to this than he could handle; custom size opening.

I decided to have Lowes do the measuring and installation, guantereed fit and work. They had an installer come out and measure the opening. After a comedy or errors, the correct door came and it was installed by Lowes.

I was impressed by the installers and their level of experience. I guess when you do three or four different jobs per day, week in and week out, you get good at it.

All in all, I was glad I had Lowes do it. I certainly would go with a primed, solid core door. They are much preferable to the hollow core doors.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check your local lumber yard.

They often can and will beat big box store pricing.

They have a price book with multiple columns.

The more you buy the cheaper you get quoted.

If they want they can slide you over a column or two to get the business.

Most doors come from one or two distributors even at the big box stores.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A dimension question, to add to the OP.

The pre-hung (32x80) door I found shows an actual width of 33.5"
But it also says a rough opening width of 34.5"

My doorway is 33.5"

Which is the true width of the unit? 33.4 or 34.5?

I don't have a planer, so I can't remove the 1/2 inch from each side if the measure is 34.5" based on the rough opening measurement.

Similarly, the actual height & rough opening height are an inch difference. But I need to measure the doorway to get the available height.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A bit more context.
Slider = Barn Door
House was built in the early 70s, torn down to the studs & fully remodeled in the last 3-5 years.

Below are photos from the hall & inside the room.
Pardon the mess, we're still unpacking.

Doorway measures 33.5W x 78.5H x 6.25D

posted Hide Post
Pardon the thread drift, but I have an interior door question you might appreciate. Would it be in appropriate to install a solid core doors using the existing frame of a hollow core door ? All my interior doors are hollow type. The laundry room door has what appears to be swelling on the bottom edge, could be pet damage. I would like to swap it out to a solid core to dampen the spin cycle noise of the washing machine. I would also like to swap out the bathroom and bedroom doors for noise reduction. A total of 9. Leaving me with 12 hollow core doors. Is having a mix of solid and hollow doors frowned upon? Also could I use the existing frames?

Thanks.
-TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Assuming the same size, I would assume yes.
Only issue I could think of would be the weight difference between the two.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

All of the interior doors in our house are hollow, synthetic 6 panel ("cross and bible" style) doors. I needed a matching 2'-8" x 6'-8" all wood door, so I could cut out the bottom two panels to make a doggie pass through. My local lumber yard was able to order it. I got just the door ("slab") and hung it on the existing hinges.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it is doable. I appreciate the replies.

-TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Started teardown today. The trim pictured above was installed over the trimmed opening that was already there.
Still not the right size for a pre hung, but considering a slab in a custom size to avoid having to tear out the existing trim.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Update.
I decided to go for broke & tear the doorframe all the way down.

Originally, it had a sliding barn door

Got that down, and removed the trim, to find the doorway double-trimmed.

Removed that trim last night & now have a rough opening that will fit a standard sized pre-hung door.

Unfortunately, lead time is about 4 weeks. Gives me time to get the room painted & do a bit of drywall repair in the meantime.

Found a local door store, and their prices were better than HD/Lowes, so will be calling them today to order. Glad I had called them, too, as she informed me that the 2 doors [mfgs] that I thought were the same, are actually different & I'd likely have ordered the wrong, non-matching, door.
Checked the doors already installed & to my luck, they were not painted on top, and the mfg markings were still there, so I have the exact model to order.

Now, on to learning how to do some drywall repair & texturing.
Not visible in these photos, but the wall opposite the doorway, in the room, had 2 shelves that were removed & the overzealous use of caulk resulted in some of the surface being removed from the drywall.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Update:
Solid core, pre-hung door arrived today.
Will need a bit of shimming & the striker mortise cut, but otherwise hoping for a straightforward install.

So far I've checked that the rough opening is all level, good so far.

Still have a bit of paint touch-up to finish, but hope to have the door hung by the weekend.

Getting this room done has been the main hangup to us really being able to get unpacked & settled.
It's for our youngest & she's currently in here sister's room & the older 2 are sharing the oldest's room.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Door installed. Manhandling that 90lb door around wasn't easy.
Still need to paint the door & frame, and reinstall the trim.