SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weber Genesis grill
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weber Genesis grill Login/Join 
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Before you jump on Weber check out Napoleon grills. I just got the Prestige 500 and I love it.

I had used Weber grills for the last 20 years but also just switched to a Napoleon Prestige 500 and its been great so far.

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I just got a Napoleon Prestige 500, too. Seems well made, with a generous warranty. Weber makes a fine grill, too. One of my buddies has had a Weber for a few years and he swears by it and I can attest that he gets good results.

Of the features that I think I will require of any grill, a high-heat searing burner is now at the top of the list. I love a good steak, and the searing burner on the Prestige 500 puts an excellent crust on a ribeye!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
I just got a Napoleon Prestige 500, too. Seems well made, with a generous warranty. Weber makes a fine grill, too. One of my buddies has had a Weber for a few years and he swears by it and I can attest that he gets good results.

Of the features that I think I will require of any grill, a high-heat searing burner is now at the top of the list. I love a good steak, and the searing burner on the Prestige 500 puts an excellent crust on a ribeye!

Yup the infra red sear station was why I went with Napoleon over Weber. Weber claims a sear station but its just an extra regular burner between 2 other burners. The Napoleon Prestige 500 also came with the rotisserie and a rotisserie burner. I was intrigued by the “Phantom” series but it seemed to be a lot of money for just a cool color.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Napoleon Prestige 500

That's what I'd go with if going LP/NG.

Next time we'll do a kitchen and the built in model is on the radar..

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
The problem with either Weber or Napoleon is the cart. The sides and bottom are still just enameled steel and still end up rusting apart. Event the Weber Summit still has the same steel base. I've had my genesis for 10yrs and have replaced pretty much everything on it besides the cart. After it finally dies, I'll be looking at something entirely made out of stainless like a Blaze. Wilmington Grills are supposed to be the end all be all when it comes to stainless grills but I'm not sure I like the whole indirect heat setup that they have.

Posts: 1315 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

Yup the infra red sear station was why I went with Napoleon over Weber. Weber claims a sear station but its just an extra regular burner between 2 other burners. The Napoleon Prestige 500 also came with the rotisserie and a rotisserie burner. I was intrigued by the “Phantom” series but it seemed to be a lot of money for just a cool color.

KevinCW has had a Napoleon for a while now and loves it, so that's what put me on to the Napoleon line. Last night's dinner was ribeyes, cooked gently over indirect heat at about 250 in the main grill box for about 20 minutes, and then onto the roaring-hot sear burner for that delicious seared crust. About 30-45 seconds between flips, with each side getting flipped twice (and rotated 90 degrees after then second of the four flips) and... viola! Medium-rare steaky heaven!

The magic happening...

I haven't had mine long enough to know, but Kevin says the temperature control and predictability of the Napoleon is the best he's yet used - practically oven-like. Certainly a key quality for good grillin'.

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
I sous vide some steaks and seared them on the sizzle zone, they say it gets up to 1800 degrees.

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Napoleon Prestige 500

Is this one of the models made in north america? Is there a way to know where a particular model is made?

The Napoleon group of companies manufactures products in North America (Ontario, Canada & Kentucky, USA) and we also have products that are made in our Napoleon manufacturing plant overseas. The overseas facility is not a third party manufacturing center. It is owned and operated by Napoleon. The designs, manufacturing and quality control processes are all provided and strictly managed from our operations center in Ontario, Canada.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’ve been a fan of the Weber Genesis grills for a while. Had one that they gave me all new guts for under warranty just shy of five years, so basically two BBQ for the price of one. When it wore out the second time I went cheap with a “Nexus” grill for half the price of a Weber. It looked like shit after 3 years and was made with cheap materials.

Learned my lesson and bought another Weber (Genesis E-310) almost five years ago. Weber warranty is top notch. Gave it a long overdue cleaning last month, noticed a few of the holes on the burner tubes are starting to rust and open up. Also the “Flavorizor” bars were starting to be in bad shape.

Called Weber, they are sending new tubes under warranty and she discounted the flavorizer bars by almost 50% (only three year warranty on them). Basically a rebuild for $25 out of pocket.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10944 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Napoleon Prestige 500

Is this one of the models made in north america? Is there a way to know where a particular model is made?

The Napoleon group of companies manufactures products in North America (Ontario, Canada & Kentucky, USA) and we also have products that are made in our Napoleon manufacturing plant overseas. The overseas facility is not a third party manufacturing center. It is owned and operated by Napoleon. The designs, manufacturing and quality control processes are all provided and strictly managed from our operations center in Ontario, Canada.

From what my salesperson said, the Prestige line is made in North America.

-ShneaSIG

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Napoleon Prestige 500

From what my salesperson said, the Prestige line is made in North America.

Here you go...

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Cool. I may try to find one - my Summit is on it's last legs. It's been great for 10+ years but a rotisserie would be nice.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I looked at the 335 for the side burner and sear station though for the extra cost I don’t think I’d really use those features. Had a side burner for years and used it maybe three times.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
10 year old genesis that has never been covered and used 4x a week for a decade. The only rust is on the pins for the lid and some on the supports for the side pieces. I don't understand how a number of people have had their cabinets rust, I have none. Last genesis was 20 years old and was starting to form rust and I had one bolt rust out. I could have replaced it for $1, but got the newer one instead.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post