SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First Man Murdered Due To Red Flag Law
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Man Murdered Due To Red Flag Law Login/Join 
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted
link

FERNDALE, Md. -- Two police officers ordered to remove firearms from a house on a "red flag" protective order fatally shot an armed man Monday morning in Ferndale, Maryland, police said. Anne Arundel County Police arrived at the house at 5:17 a.m. to remove guns from the home under a new law that temporarily allows for the seizure of firearms if a person shows "red flags" that they are a danger to themselves or others, CBS Baltimore reports.

A man, later identified by police as 61-year-old Gary Willis, answered his door with a gun in his hand, Anne Arundel County Police Sgt. Jacklyn Davis said.

Sgt. Davis said the man put the gun down. But then, according to a police press release, Willis "became irate" when officers attempted to serve the order. Willis picked the weapon up again, "a fight ensued over the gun," and a shot was fired, Davis said. The first shot didn't strike anyone, but the officers then fatally shot the man, Sgt. Davis said.

Neither of the officers were injured. Their names weren't released.

It wasn't clear why the "red flag" order was issued. A spokeswoman for the Maryland Judiciary denied a request from the Baltimore Sun to release protection order requests associated with the home, citing the law which states the orders are confidential unless a court rules otherwise.

Michele Willis, the man's niece, told The Baltimore Sun that one of her aunts requested the protective order against Willis, but she declined to say why.

She said police stopped by the home to speak with her uncle Sunday night. He lived above the garage and several other family members also lived in the home. Those who were there during the shooting were being questioned by police Monday morning, The Sun reported.

Willis said her uncle "likes to speak his mind," but "wouldn't hurt anybody."

"I'm just dumbfounded right now," she said. "They didn't need to do what they did."

Maryland is one of several states that passed "red flag" laws since the high school mass shooting in Parkland, Florida, earlier this year. Maryland's law, which went into effect Oct. 1, is more broad in that it allows certain health care providers to seek an order, in addition to family members and law enforcement.

That's CBS's take on it. Elsewhere I read that they pounded on his door at 5:15 in the morning. I am sure I would answer the door armed with a weapon if suddenly that early in the morning someone was pounding on my door! Also, in the article I read, he refused to turn over his weapons, a scuffle broke out, his gun went off, and the rest of the officers opened up on him because "they feared for their own safety."

Bottom Line: If someone who knows you and knows you own guns decides to screw with you, all they have to do is call the authorities and say they're worried you might hurt someone with your guns because they doubt your fitness to own firearms. If you're divorced, I recommend you lie to your ex-spouse and tell them you decided to get rid of all your guns! Sheesh - is this the beginning of gun confiscation?

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10716 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bottom Line: If someone who knows you and knows you own guns decides to screw with you, all they have to do is call the authorities and say they're worried you might hurt someone with your guns because they doubt your fitness to own firearms. If you're divorced, I recommend you lie to your ex-spouse and tell them you decided to get rid of all your guns! Sheesh - is this the beginning of gun confiscation?

Yup. More folks will die.

Q

Posts: 26494 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Lives saved from this, -1.

Posts: 7378 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rather doubt the so called red flag law provided for addtional training for law enforcement in dealing with individuals who may be mentally ill.

Allowing family and friends to call is a mistake as well. Most states require some evaluation by a psycholgist or psychiatrist before an individual can be held against their will.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
All part of the leftist game plan imo. I can hear it now...

“Gun confiscation is necessary! See? A man was killed when the police came to confiscate his guns! If he didn’t own any guns, he wouldn’t have been killed because they wouldn’t have had to confiscate them!”

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Hey guys! We gotta remember that this happened in Maryland! The best they seem to be able to do is "half-assed"

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
So if a family member or an ex-girlfriend decides that a person should not have a firearm, that they feel that said person is a risk to society, with no hard evidence whatsoever, that due process is thrown out the window and violation of their rights is a proper response.

Didn't we just go through this a few weeks ago in Washington DC? Roll Eyes

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Why would you show up at the guy's house at 0517 and expect him to a.) Not answer the door with a gun in his hand, and b.) be clear-headed and rational to deal with?

Might have well just done a no-knock at 0300. Roll Eyes

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Wait, they issued the confiscation on a concerned call?

No due process or investigation first? I thought these laws had some serious hoops to jump through first?

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Wait, they issued the confiscation on a concerned call?

No due process or investigation first? I thought these laws had some serious hoops to jump through first?

Nope...in the People's Republic of Kalifornia and Maryland, "due process" for "Red Flag Laws" means a family member (or friend), can contact LE and make a claim you are a threat to others, without any corroborating evidence. LE can then petition a judge for a warrant to seize your firearms.

The first time you know your firearms are being seized is when the police are at your door.

Provided you aren't killed during the exchange, after a few days you get to go before a judge and justify to him why you think the order is bullshit and why you need your property back.

Talk about backwards.

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
This, coupled with the insane proposal to review social media before authorizing a gun purchase, represents perfectly how our enemies plan to single us out instead of dealing with us a concerted block of people.

It is frightening in its scope. We can only hope that our slightly more conservative Supreme Court will put an end this dramatic overreach.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
There is no substitute for protecting ones rights, and the law may be woefully short of due process. While it is reasonable to begin a lawful search to determine the truth when there may be a threat, the article above does not give any of the details for us.

Was the aunt out of line? Was the guy smart to tussle with cops over a loaded gun? Would like to hate this law, but this isn't the whole story.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2019 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
How can you possibly NOT hate that law!? Confiscate and due process later. You are ok with that?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21127 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
Would like to hate this law, but this isn't the whole story.
In similar stories I find myself frequently wanting additional information on the encounter. But in this case, no additional info is necessary. These 'Red Flag' laws are so unconstitutional its simple insane any state would put them in place. When a law requires zero due process and places all the proof of innocence on the accused based on zero evidence, nothing but bad outcomes should be expected. Hell, show up at my crib at night and demand my weapons and I might find myself a bit uncooperative (to put it mildly).

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Some laws are so egregiously wrong that they should be ignored, wholesale, by all, and this is one of them. Honorable people didn't create them, and honorable people don't enforce them. This situation is rife with twelve kinds of fail, from all involved.

Charlie Foxtrot.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
When "We the People..." think that 1700s British Rule looks better than the crap we are seeing shoved up our "colonial asses" by the leftest/GDCs, then maybe it's later and worse than some think.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
and people think that cops will refuse to go door to door and confiscate weapons

a shining example of why this notion is false

someone needs to find out who the cops were and 'red flag' them as they've demonstrated their a threat to our way of life

maybe the best thing to do is for everyone to call and red flag every cop in MD if that all it takes

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53236 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Could you imagin the logistical nightmare of many on this forum of just trying to get their property back after being put through this process? It would take a u-haul to carry away many of our firearms collections. And does this pertain to ammunition as well?

How long would will the accused be deprived of their second amendment rights? When I right a citation, a court date 2 months later is the norm.

I’ll just bet these leftist enclaves won’t be accommodating in squaring away the claim against gun owners. Hell, I’ll wager it won’t even be a situation where you’re entitled to coverage under the 6th amendment... because you won’t be charged with anything. I imagine that until you can prove your competence, it will become “illegal” to purchase any new firearms- doing so would constitute a “crime” and drive a nail in gun ownership in the future.

I completely agree that the leftists have come to the conclusion that they can’t get our guns through changing legislation; they’ve discovered the magic loophole and will be exploiting it more.

The NRA will likely step up to help, and get painted as “trying to get guns back into the hands of violent people”.

If this picks up steam, there will be a LOT of dead people as a result, both cops and accused “dangerous” people. Asking people to hand over their guns will never work, and taking them by force won’t either. This is akin to the tactics utilized by the Nazis to subdue the population for better control.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Due process rights apply to illegal aliens, not American citizens. Go back to clutching your bibles you silly gun huggers.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I don't understand how this is legal. I'm no lawyer, never played one on TV and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

What about?

*4th Amendment
*5th Amendment
*6th Amendment
*14th Amendment

Can someone please explain how this law doesn't violate the above four Amendments as well as the 2nd Amendment?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post