SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any advice dealing with Dimentia appreciated.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any advice dealing with Dimentia appreciated. Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Is there any legitimate way to protect assets so they don't get siphoned away leaving the family with nothing before Medicare/Medicaid will take up the slack?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, do it well in advance. I think five years is the cutoff but I do not know for sure.

Posts: 17530 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
My mother went through this several years ago. We knew she had problems but she wouldn’t go in for mental health exams and regular Drs didn’t catch it. She had a stroke then another and was at the moderate stage of dementia and was bed ridden. She deteriorated over a two year period until she could no longer swallow. She didn’t want to be artificially alive so we called in palliative care hospice. She lasted almost two weeks, fighting it. She was so medicated she wasn’t conscious for those two weeks. Know what they want in advance.

Posts: 6048 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Is there any legitimate way to protect assets so they don't get siphoned away leaving the family with nothing before Medicare/Medicaid will take up the slack?
Yes, you gotta do it 5 years in advance. It's called the "lookback period."

Posts: 4061 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
That was very helpul guys. The pressure on my wife is very difficult. I forced her out of the house to meet with one of her girlfrends for some down time. Things are getting worse at a rapid pace, we'll see what the doctor says. She's visiting a place tomorrow, I don't know if that will entail a nurse assessment or not this first visit, but the place is nice and expensive, we'll see if there's a way to get her in. Sooner is better. My poor wife loves her mother but there are limits in terms of coping, at least limits we'd like not to push more if it can be helped.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post