SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ???'s to members using a laser for training.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

???'s to members using a laser for training. Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking to get a lazer for dry fire training. Many options are out there, but don't want to waste money on a crappy one.

What brand are you using and would you buy it again?

Are you using the lazer company's app or a generic one?

Any tips are appreciated.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought an SIRT Pistol. Its a replica of a P320C. It has been very useful for me to work on trigger prep. But... Its pricey! The Glock replica pistol is cheaper, though. Its been working for me.
I dont use an app with it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My neighbor has a Mantis system of some sort. He seems to like it. I had an early version several years ago. It seemed useful.

Posts: 770 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I have a Beamhit system that went defunct because it doesn't work with anything but Windows XP. It is a pretty neat toy but completely obsolete.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I use the G-Sight system and have been happy with it (I have the modules for 9 mm and 40 S&W cals.). I use the G-Sight LTP app on my phone and it works well. I enjoy using the system in my basement and find it's a good tool, but there's no substitution for the real thing.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8526 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm using a LaserLyte LT-PRE Universal Laser Trainer (Sorry for the Amazon link, but that's where LaserLyte's own page takes you.)

I just aim it at a paper target on the wall. I don't have any fancy dancy electronic target or what-have-you Smile (Though I'm thinking of buying a pair of LaserLyte Steel Tyme reactive targets for amusement's sake.)

Pros:

One laser trainer for everything from .380 ACP through .45 ACP.

You can zero it so the dot lands where you want it to.

Produces a very bright pulse you can see even in fairly brightly-lit environments.

LaserLyte offers a three year warranty, and they do back it up.

Cons:

Has to be re-zero'd when moving from gun-to-gun, and sometimes even when putting back in the same gun after a battery change. (Conversely: There've been times I've moved it to a different pistol of the same caliber and it's been spot on.)

Eats batteries like there's no tomorrow.

When you screw it back together you have to make certain you screw it back together very tightly, for if you don't, and you snug the thing too-tightly into your barrel, you may end up with half of it stuck in your barrel when you go to remove it.

Getting the thing firmly seated in the barrel, but not too firmly (see above), in the proper orientation can try ones patience.

You may not be able to do draw-from-holster practice, as it sticks out of the muzzle.

Can't do mag-change drills as dropping the slide nudges it out of the muzzle and disturbs alignment.

Bottom line: Would I buy it again? Yes, because, despite its cons, it beats having to buy a separate laser cartridge for every caliber.

Hints:

When it stops working, for me it's always one of the three batteries. I've taken to always putting the new battery on the bottom and, doing that, it's always been the top, the oldest battery.

Buying those little batteries in bulk, from Amazon, beware that you'll get the occasional DOA battery. This may lead you, on a battery change, to believe your LT-PRE has totally died. Ask me how I know.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mantis x3. I may eventually get an x10. The mantis system is very easy to use. Can mount on rails or magazines (adapter needed) and Bluetooths to your phone for feedback. Mantis shows you movement while you pull the trigger.

Posts: 380 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the mantis system and I have been improved by it. I also like the feedback and drills they provide as that isn't something offered much elsewhere. It is useful to me as a trainer mostly for me but I hand it out sometimes. If you have someone who is resistant to the concept of them needing to improve it seems to work well to show them something from a computer as often that is processed better than a person telling them they are wrong.

I'd also look at Redimags and SIRT pistols as I have seen good results in newer shooters with those. Please dont be offended by that start, sometimes it is good to get back to basics, even for the advanced shooters.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
I bought the iTarget Pro at itargetpro.com It’s worked fine for me. I use the standard target for bullseye and the Quick draw app (also from iTarget) for timed dryfire.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the G-Sight here. Love mine!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
If you can afford it, +1 for a SIRT

Posts: 5731 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
another vote for SIRT. I've used this personally and in my firearms classes. There are reactive targets out there that complement the SIRT. I've had students use these in a classroom and the targets aid in boosting student confidence. Even with experienced shooters, a SIRT can help them identify problems with their grip or trigger control.

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another G-Sight fan here ! Not sure you can beat the price.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
Another G-Sight fan here ! Not sure you can beat the price.

It looks like a good system, but: I don't need another tripod, I already have both phone and tablet holders for my tripods, and four laser cartridges (9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and 10mm) would cost me $270.

But, yeah, particularly with the sale they're running now: A single caliber, tripod, phone/tablet holder, and target for $113 can't be beat.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I just use a laser training cartridge and shoot at paper targets on the wall. I have the Laserlyte cartridge and it works well and you can buy a kit with replacement end cap/switch and o rings for $25. The end caps are supposed to last at least 3000 rounds. I also bought a much cheaper Pink Rhino .45 laser training cartride and it works very well too but no repleacement end caps as far as I know.

I used the Pink Rhino in my SIG 1911 that I had not shot in over a year after I changed out the cursed lanyard maninspring housing to an Ed Brown arched one. Being that .45 ammo is/was expensive and I did not want to use up much of my stash I used the laser training cartridge to sharpen my shooting of my 1911. I went to the range shortly after and here are the resuls on one target at 7 yards with a full magazine shot at it. I say I got more than my moneys worth with the Pink Rhino laser training cartridge.

I spend some time at least every other week dry firing one of my pistols with a laser training cartridge. They really do make dry fring much more fun and productive. It helps to keep the O-rings lightly lubed to extend their life.

https://www.amazon.com/Pink-Rh...+%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-5

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've been doing so much laser-training dry fire I finally tired of fiddling with the LaserLyte LT-PRE Universal Laser Trainer.

As I noted in a prior post: It works well for what it is, but it eats batteries like they're going out of style and it can be a bit fiddly when putting back into a muzzle.

A year or so back I acquired a CheapShot Tactical Training Laser - O-Ring Cartridge - .45 ACP. It works well, but, when the strike area dies, and it will, someday, it's $15 for a replacement.

The G-Sight cartridges are more than twice as expensive as the CheapShot ones, but the replacement pads are a darn sight more economical.

So I just ordered a 9mm G-Sight cartridge. If I like it, I'll order a G-Sight 10mm cartridge, use the CheapShot .45 ACP cartridge until it dies, then order a .45 ACP G-Sight cartridge, use one of the LaserLyte devices for the calibers I dry-fire less, and karma the other one.

Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
Does anyone use a set up that provides feedback either through an app or base station?

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post