SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Antique Fire Extinguisher
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antique Fire Extinguisher Login/Join 
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted
Years ago my inlaws gave me this antique fire extinguisher which has been sitting on a shelf in my garage for at least 15 years. Took it to a friend who owns a polishing business and he worked on it. It will make a nice decoration in my office. Before and after photos below.

Before:

After:

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

Posts: 2832 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Very cool! I had one a long time ago....IIRC they were supposed to be turned upside down and a vinegar and baking soda mixed and pressurized the container.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Very cool! I had one a long time ago....IIRC they were supposed to be turned upside down and a vinegar and baking soda mixed and pressurized the container.

Correct! There is a glass bottle in a frame inside the cylinder which contained a weak acid. The rest of the cylinder was filled with bicarbonate of soda. Turning it upside down would unseat the stopper on the glass bottle, mixing the two ingredients and pressurizing the extinguisher for use on a fire.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
My uncle has a few he turned into lamps. They are pretty cool looking.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Does that actually read "TO PLAY ON FIRE"?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
That is awesome. Really, it’s very nice given its age.

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

I can’t read it but if it does, it means to “point at”

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

Yes,

To play on fire
Turn upside down

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one just like it. I’d love to have it polished like that. Beautiful!

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Beautiful looking fire extinguisher.

When I worked in the fire protection industry many, many years ago I had a business call me telling me they needed to replace some old Fire extinguishers.
He had an older warehouse for plumbing supply's that had just been inspected by the town.
I removed over a dozen of the soda acid, brass riveted back fire extinguishers and replaced them with ABC multi purposes fire extinguishers.
Needless to say I ended up with a couple and turned them into lamps, my boss ended up with the rest. The owner did not want to keep any of them,
When I got them I first polished them and let the develop a nice patina.
I still have them.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2572 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
they are selling from $350 to $500 on eBay

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one just like that in my workshop. I have no idea how long I have had it.

Posts: 6622 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I made a pair of lamps out of them years ago. Finally got tired of them and sold them.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
chbibc, that is beautiul.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got 2 sitting in my office right now. A friend of mine gave them to me before I retired from the volunteer fire dept. a couple of years ago.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 727 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Speaking of antique fire extinguishers, has anyone ever seen the old "fire grenades" they used to have in houses? These were a small glass globe that you would throw at a fire, it would shatter and whatever was inside would mix and activate and (hopefully) put out the fire.

When I was at Hyde Park, NY a few years ago visiting my alma mater, we went to the FDR Estate and the house had them all over the place mounted in holders on the walls. FDR also had an elevator built just big enough for his wheelchair but insisted it was manual with a pully system and not motorized. The NPS person giving the tour explained that FDR as a child saw an aunt die horrifically when her long skirt caught fire and was terrified of fire from that point on and and didn't want to be stuck in the elevator if there was ever a fire in that house.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post