SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone 12 Advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone 12 Advice Login/Join 
posted
I'm new to the world of smart phones, so pardon my ignorance. We are considering the iphone 12 or 12 Mini- durability being a very attractive feature. My research on the iphone 12 has produced wildly differing results- most of the professional reviews (hopefully they're not in Apple's pocket) are positive, but user reviews are all over the board.

The most common complaint concerns battery life, but again some don't see it as a problem while for others it's a deal breaker. Our usage would be calls, texting, web surfing and a few videos-definitely not spending hours watching movies, so I don't know if the battery will be an issue. The additional drain of 5g would not be a factor, at least for now, as it is not available in our area.

If the battery is problematic what steps would Apple likely take to resolve it, if any?

The iphone 11 pro looks great but it looks like they're getting scarce.

Posts: 772 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
12 mini here and your usage is mostly the same as mine.

As an example, yesterday I had half a dozen call of several minutes each, a number of texts, and I bluetoothed some music for roughly an hour.

When I plugged it in last night it was still at 92%.

I use it a fair amount more during work days using apps and web browsing and still it is rare for me to go below 90%.

I wouldn't worry at all about battery life. It's a great phone.

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had the 12 Pro Max since Christmas and am very pleased with the phone. I find the squared edge more comfortable than the previous models.

It's used for calls, texting and web surfing primarily and the battery usually gives me 2 full days of service. I should probably let the battery run down more than I do, but charging it every other night works for me. The camera feature is great. I find myself taking a lot more pictures than I did on my iPhone 8.

USMC (Ret) 1970-1990
Recovering 1911 Addict
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 178 | Location: Manassas, VA | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I was on the fence between the 12 and 12 mini. I went with the 12 128g. I'm glad I did as I don't think I would have liked the smaller phone. No battery issues here. I went from a 7+.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Got a 12 Pro Max in an Otterbox Defender case. Wife and I both love the set up.

Battery life is great and I use the phone for business daily. Never gets remotely close to 50%

0:01

Posts: 4214 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I have a 12 mini and ditto Gustofer 100%.

I have read those battery complaints, but don’t give them any credence. I consider my usage to be average (a few calls, lots of texts, web usage throughout the day), and don’t recall ever ending the day below 50%.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have the regular 12 128gb in an otter box case.

I am pleased with it, except that facial recognition doesn't work with a mask. (duh)

I prefer fingerprint.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34131 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got a 12 Pro Max 512GB a couple weeks ago.

So far, the most battery I have consumed so far got me down by the end of the day to 51%. I charge mine every night.

Note that the Pro Max supposedly has a bigger/more powerful battery than the other 12 models.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I have the standard iPhone 12, 128GB version. The battery life has been great so far. I've had no problems with the phone at all.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smartphones in-general, their batteries are good for about day's worth of usage, much depends on how frequent you use and which apps. Plugging the charging cable upon getting into your vehicle is pretty much SOP now.

If you're just in the market for a smartphone but, don't need the latest and greatest or price sensitive, check out the iPhone SE , basically its a iPhone 7 format but, with the latest processor and battery so, you'll be current for several years without the hit on the wallet.

Posts: 14664 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve had my iPhone 12 Pro for several months. Very happy with it. Especially its 5G capability. My service provider is T-Mobile, which has good 5G coverage in my area. Its Hotspot is my only Internet connection for my laptop. Downloads are about twice as fast as LTE.

Wonderful cameras too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8988 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
If you're just in the market for a smartphone but, don't need the latest and greatest or price sensitive, check out the iPhone SE , basically its a iPhone 7 format but, with the latest processor and battery so, you'll be current for several years without the hit on the wallet.

That was going to be my recommendation. If one is new to smartphones I can't see jumping right into a flagship model right out of the gate.

As for battery life on the SE: Mine was off the charger from around 08:30 to 00:30 or so--about sixteen hours. In that time I had three extended video calls (1 Facetime and 2 Signal Private Messenger). Probably better than three hours all total. Plus there was an extended phone call. Phone was still at 48% when I put it back on the charger.

Btw: If you're military or ex-military you can sign up for discounts direct from Apple.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a 12 Mini, moving out of an X. I was mostly interested in the smaller size, as I have iPads, and don't need or want a tablet-size screen on a phone.

I am really loving this new Mini. At first I thought it was TOO small, but once I put a protective case on it, it has just enough extra bulk to fit great in my small hands, yet still be smaller than even the X I was using.

And the processor and 5G are zippy fast.

I don't take a lot of photos or videos, and am not a power user, so I have not seen any battery problems.

I know you'll love it, whichever model you settle on.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2844 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The trouble with going with an SE is it’s already obsolete. The trouble with computers and smart phones in general.
I got a BOGO on an iPhone 12 Pro from Verizon, and am extremely happy with the phone. Battery life has not been a problem at all, especially since wireless recharging is so easy.

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Since you said “We” I’ll assume you’ll be getting 2 of them. We bought to 12 Pros with a Verizon 2 for 1 deal. Standard memory on the 12 Pro is 128GB and only 64GB on the 12. The price difference between the 12 with 128GB and 12 Pro with the 2 for 1 was $100 or $50 each. I figured the telephoto camera on the 12 Pro was worth $50.

Posts: 10986 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I will add that I had my new 12 in an Otterbox symmetry case but kept dropping it. I have it in a defender now. Only issue is finding glass screen protectors that work with the case as the case has no built in screen protector.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had iPhones since the original iPhone came out, and my 12 Pro Max is the best by far. Battery life is great, the camera is excellent, and Face ID finally works right for me (hated it in my XS Max and wish they had kept Touch ID). I also couldn’t say no to AT&T offering $700 credit for my old iPhone 8 Plus.

Posts: 3338 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are considering the iphone 12 or 12 Mini

A couple things to keep in mind the iphone 12 has a bigger battery than the 12 mini. 5G uses more power than 4G

iphone 12... 2,815 mAh
vs
12 Mini...... 2,227 mAh

iPhone 11 .. 3,110 mAh

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Oh and get you an induction charger. Wallyworld has some for $2. Get a bunch like I did and stick them everywhere.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34131 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
It strikes me that complaining about battery life in a 12 is like going out and buying a sedan with the biggest super-charged V-8 you can get, and complaining about the mileage.

Posts: 6495 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post