SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thoughts on this extreme home renovation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on this extreme home renovation Login/Join 
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted
Can't say I know anything about home renovation, and surely nothing to the extent this one has been made over. Aside from it's asking price, 1br/1 bath layout, would any of you pursue something of this makeover magnitude?

It's a FSBO, and I can ask about what has been done/structural soundness, etc, but how about you folks? What would you ask for/must be shown to ease your mind that it is potentially OK to even consider buying? I'm concerned that even with an inspection, something very rotted/not right could be lurking, since the base home looks so rough. I guess seeing photos down to the studs would be helpful, and other repairs, just the same, my gut is speaking up.

Thanks for your opinions, and insight.

Condition from 2013/14:

To what it is now:

https://www.zillow.com/homedet...6314/118645165_zpid/

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I would want to know who did the work. You can then ask around about their reputations.

Posts: 11206 | Location: The Magnolia State | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Interesting design.

But the landscape/landscaping has changed so much by the pictures.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I've been involved in some major remodels. If the people knew what they were doing and pulled all the permits it can be like a new home. I've also seen ones where shortcuts where taken and problems showed up within the first year.

It says all new drywall, flooring, ect. What is the ect. Did they pull new plumbing and electrical? Permits? I would really hope they did.

Ask questions and pay attention to details.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I would want to know who did the work. You can then ask around about their reputations.

Agreed.

It wouldn't be enough to just not hear anything bad...I'd have to hear some pretty glowing recommendations. I don't trust contractors. IF they even know the proper way to do things, they seldom actually make sure the subs do.

It typically doesn't pencil financially to do an overhaul of this magnitude the right way. I'd expect corners to be cut, and look for proof that they weren't. An expense sheet from the project might help prove things were done right.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13986 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Interesting design.

But the landscape/landscaping has changed so much by the pictures.

Looks like they hacked the trees back to get the porch on, and hogged into the hill (which was hidden by trees) to get the garage in. None of that would worry me. As others have said, who did the work and what information can you get to show it was done right.

Some folks really do things right when they are fixing something up for themselves (some either don't know or don't care and have stuff done slipshod for themselves).

Seems like less folks really do things right when they are fixing up to sell. Often the focus is on cosmetics or curb appeal rather than drainage, structural, plumbing, electric, or other stuff that is harder to see.

Think about how excited one is when the car they are looking at has a motor rebuilt by the owner or his brother's shop...

Posts: 7075 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Check that everything was properly permitted. Have the house thoroughly inspected.

Buying a house is always a crapshoot. I don't see the reno making it more of a crapshoot. Who know what condition the original house was in, and what needed to be and got fixed in the reno.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like vinyl siding, the T grid ceiling on the interior is concerning. With both of those it just covers up what is underneath. Roofing looks nice, curious to know if the old roof was removed.

The original structure would not support the wrap around patio roof without major structural upgrades, looks like the added roof is possibly self supported.

Was the fireplace removed or just covered up? I would get with the municipality and check permits, inspections etc....

Posts: 75 | Registered: June 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
It's a lot cheaper to "remodel" an existing home than to tear it down and build an entire new one...if you catch my drift.

What you see is probably in practicality a brand new house. I've heard of people doing something similar in that they leave just one wall standing of the old home so it's considered a "remodel" or renovation or upgrade rather than a rebuild.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30901 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Looks nice. Small. Note they started out asking $107,900. Now it's overpriced by only $9k per Zillow. Get a thorough inspection. I wouldn't offer more than Zillow estimate.

Posts: 4057 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd feel a lot better about it based on the current owner. If they bought it to live in themselves as opposed to flipping it. My concern would be they only bought it to flip and cut corners on the remodel making it look nice with big problems covered up. If they pulled permits and did the work right, it's a neat little house for what looks like a good price.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Lots of great information fellas, thanks. As for pulling permits, is this usually done by going to the township/County seat, and requesting them from the appropriate office?

As is mentioned, I'm most concerned about slapping on some vinyl siding, cutting corners, and having a real mess hidden on the inside; i.e. structural, mold, etc. Home inspections many times, seem a cover their ass/OOOP's, missed that/not responsible for this or that. My very first home was like that. Guy was a retired builder, and when I said the floor felt soft near the tub, he said "normal deflection"... Wrong, and I wound up in a short crawl space, replacing rotted subflooring.

I wonder if a really sharp inspector could dig deep enough, thorough enough, to uncover what might be lurking in this place, and give a very good, accurate assessment? Seems a lot could be hidden here.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My shoot from the hip opinion is, if they did it right then they are way upside down in this house at $85.000.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2tonicP220:
Lots of great information fellas, thanks. As for pulling permits, is this usually done by going to the township/County seat, and requesting them from the appropriate office?

As is mentioned, I'm most concerned about slapping on some vinyl siding, cutting corners, and having a real mess hidden on the inside; i.e. structural, mold, etc. Home inspections many times, seem a cover their ass/OOOP's, missed that/not responsible for this or that. My very first home was like that. Guy was a retired builder, and when I said the floor felt soft near the tub, he said "normal deflection"... Wrong, and I wound up in a short crawl space, replacing rotted subflooring.

I wonder if a really sharp inspector could dig deep enough, thorough enough, to uncover what might be lurking in this place, and give a very good, accurate assessment? Seems a lot could be hidden here.

The electrical panel should tell you something. Should be obvious to an inspector if it's new. Also can tell alot from the wiring coming inside if it's older or new. If a permit was pulled for electrical there should be a sticker on the panel. It should list the date of the final inspection. With the new garage they should have pulled a few permits.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
My shoot from the hip opinion is, if they did it right then they are way upside down in this house at $85.000.

Your right it's hard to imagine a profit at that price. If they did it themselves. It is a small house.

Around here you will see complete remodels but that's for housing selling 350,000 and up often much more.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, is it a contractor selling the house? I've seen a few shoddy quick flips done by contractors.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

Can't say I disagree... New garage, excavating the hill, drive, all new appliances, roof, concrete around home and garage floor, all the removal work, new drywall, all that new patio roofing... Plus it looks like they paid $12k for the orig home.

Thanks comet for the tips.

Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Out of curiosity, is it a contractor selling the house? I've seen a few shoddy quick flips done by contractors.

By the phone number, it seems they do rentals and self-storage. What the heck, I'll call them, and feel things out.

posted Hide Post
I would echo the cautions already expressed. In addition, I would be very concerned about mold beneath what shows inside and out. I say that for a couple of reasons. One, it is hard to tell from the photo whether you see mold or just weathering on the exterior. Two, it also looks from the photo that the site is shady and low-lying, and possibly damp. If that is true, there is an even bigger probability there was mold present. I'm not sure how one checks beneath finished surfaces, but it is something I would definitely look into. My family home growing up had that problem, and you don't want it.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know why it's gone through several price reductions already, if you look at the listing: $107,000 down to $85,000? Something may be scaring buyers off.

Posts: 34541 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post