SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Went to a Gun Show Today - First in Close to a Decade
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Went to a Gun Show Today - First in Close to a Decade Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
I haven’t been to a gun show in probably close to 10 years. Not because I don’t want to, but because I am in uber liberal Travis County and they won’t allow gun shows anymore. The gun shows here USED to be excellent. So now gun shows are far away and the last one I went to was only 20 minutes away in nextdoor Williamson County but quickly ended after a vendor did a negligent discharge into the venue’s basketball floor.

I haven’t even looked up gun shows since and recently decided to. I saw that there was one this weekend in Bastrop, TX, which is about 40 minutes from me. I went and was pleasantly surprised. It was rather smaller than what I am used to, but it wasn’t bad. Only one beef jerky booth and one jewelry booth…..LOL. It was nice to browse and prices were higher than normal, but not out of control. Mostly just guns and knives and not a lot of accessories and parts like I am used to seeing. I didn’t get anything, but it was just nice to meet up with some friends and window shop.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The last one I went to was just over 4 years ago, but I was pleasantly surprised and they had a fantastic selection at pretty reasonable prices. That was the first time I saw one of the new Colt King Cobras there. It was a show I’d never been to before and unfortunately was only two weeks before I moved away so it was my first and last time at that show.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
Damn, only one beef jerky booth? I haven't been to the gun show in a few years but remember the various jerky offered there is usually what I bring home.

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabi:
Damn, only one beef jerky booth? I haven't been to the gun show in a few years but remember the various jerky offered there is usually what I bring home.

Yeah his jerky and cheese samples were actually really good. I should have bought some.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I attended a local show yesterday in Marietta , Georgia. It was a put on by a Website for its members.

It was my first attempt at selling at a show and I rented a table. I was a little apprehensive but things went very well. I'm downsizing my collection as I approach old(er) age.

I had a blast. Everyone was cordial and I enjoyed the social part a great deal. I sold 15 out of 24 handguns but only one of eight fishing reels. I was not expecting that level of success. I'll do it again next year if I'm able and bring long guns then. Heck, I may get a booth (three tables).

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I've gotten in the habit of making the Bastrop show when I can. The size of the show varies, but they're well-placed to take over the Travis County buisness. Dripping Springs is close enough to be worth checking out but seems to be limited by either demand or the amount of indoor space. Put it this way; gun shows there don't get in the way of stock shows or riding competitions.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post