SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Motorcycle for a Newbie
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorcycle for a Newbie Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good starter bike for a shortish person and not a bad price (assuming they don't doc fee the price up much). She can learn and become comfortable riding with it and afterwards if she decides to move to another bike those little low, cruisers, seem to hold value as a lot of beginning riders are always looking for one.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What type riding does she want to do? Touring? Sport? Cruising around town? “Scootering”?

How did this get started? I suspect from a friend(s). If so, what type riding applies to the friend(s)?

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
The Honda Rebel 300 is a good looking bike however it has had it's fair share of issues. Early ones had crank issues. The 2018-2019 rebel 300 is under recall from a circlip on the transmission's main shaft, which may detach allowing for gear misalignment. My other problem with the Rebel 300 is the brakes are marginal at best, kind of like my Honda CRF250L. I got many decades of riding so I can get by, but someone new to riding may get over thier head if they are not careful with the crappy brakes on the rebel 300.

I would definitely recommend a good motorcycle riding training classes and license before buying a bike. A person can learn a lot of techniques that may save a life at some point.
Another thing is high Visibility jacket or helmet does help, I've proven this to myself.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Due to inattentive driving (smartphones) I’d talk her out of it if her intent is ride “around town”. Now if she is only going to use it on the weekends and has access to a rural area, then it can become a lifelong passion and hobby. In the city, riding when it’s busy, you couldn’t pay me to do it and I have 20 years of street, twisty and many trackdays.

MSF as has been stated.
Then a track day, instructor led.
Full gear. Armored boots, pants, jacket, gloves, and a helmet. If you aren’t going to wear full gear all the time, get a MX bike instead.

I agree the rebel brakes are shit. You don’t necessarily need a big motor or high hp/tq, but you do need solid brakes. If it doesn’t have dual rotors up front buy something else.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12963 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to specific models as I've been out of the game for way too long. Rule of thumb, anything under 600cc that she fits well on. Most importantly, spend the money on the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course. This was hands down the best thing I did when I started riding. They teach you all aspects of how to control the bike properly, the physics of why and how it will react under you, and of course everything else about riding on the road. Really understanding how to control the bike will make her much safer.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to teach the MSF classes and highly recommend that path. Wonder if States are offering them during this Covid crap?
As for a bike it depends how she intends to use it. Around town the Rebel would be ok. Anything longer and I'd get tired of the seating position quickly.
My first bike was a Virago and got sold for that reason.

Posts: 2066 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
A 1973-75 Yamaha RD350 to start. Then a Honda Nighthawk. Then a Suzuki SV650. Follow that with a Honda Interceptor. Finally get a BMW K1600GT.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5218 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Absolutely take the rider safety courses as soon as possible. these actually help in meeting requirements for liscense. Also these courses are recognized by most insurance companies and rewarded by lower rates. Personally the 300 Honda is on the lower end of performance but could be a starter bike for light slow speed commuting but not for highway speeds .It aint no crotch rocket. Ride safe. ...............................drill sgt.

Posts: 2089 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably been mentioned, but she needs riding gear. Gloves, boots, pants (armored), jacket (armored), and a HELMET. That stuff gets expensive really fast. Remind her that if it's too hot to gear up, it's too hot to ride.

Posts: 7687 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have heard all about having her take a safe driving class.

If there is a cost maybe it could be a gift from you and yours.

Then there is all the advise about “bigger for highway, etc. etc.”

I don’t go for that as she may NEVER want to go on highways. I love the quiet backroads and VA. has plenty of those.

I concur with 4MUL8R above. If she is 5’5” and under 160# something like the Yamaha RD350 would be perfect. How do I know? A beautiful example sits in my barn as we speak. It is the model my wife owned in college and she now has one again.
Perfect for solo riding, learning and enjoying the country.
My wife did the drivers course to get her license years ago. One point that was made was that she should be able to pick the bike up if/when it is lying on its side. I (and an embarrassing number of other riders) have had a bike fall over while standing still. Any number of reasons are there to finish that story, but she NEEDS to be able to pick it up. There are variety of 500cc models where she will not be able to do that.
Do guys with BMW K1600GT’s have them fall over? Yes they do. Then they eat crow and ask two football players to help pick it up again.
Start small. Start used, it’s less painful when it gets scratched.

Posts: 2161 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Due to inattentive driving (smartphones) I’d talk her out of it if her intent is ride “around town”. Now if she is only going to use it on the weekends and has access to a rural area, then it can become a lifelong passion and hobby. In the city, riding when it’s busy, you couldn’t pay me to do it
I could not agree more. I don't see that ever getting better either.

Posts: 7410 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think 4MUL8R was relating his life history of bikes. There is no way that anyone should suggest an RD350 for an new person period. I can go on a long list of reasons but a 70's era two stroke is distinctly not the right answer. These modern starter bikes are not my forte, but I will say I was at my local dealer picking up a new racing supermotard and I ended up in a long conversations with a local women who came in on a Honda Rebel 300 for an annual inspection. I don't know if it had ABS. With all the covid nonsense we end up talking for a long time while waiting and discussing her motorcycle history, the bike, her experiences etc. for an hour and a half as we both waited. She was exceedingly happy with the bike. Had ridden it extensively with her prior boyfriend (why she got it) and his harley friends and had no issues being in the group. The plus and minus's she mentioned seemed perfectly fine for a new person learning which is what she did on it. At the point we were talking she had more than a year on the bike. She felt she was wanted something bigger now, but would have no hesitation keeping the Rebel till she sorted that out. FWIW.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11178 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
As a teen, I had a moped license, but I had never driven a motorcycle before. That all changed in March 2019 when I followed Sigforum's advice and took a MSF basic rider course. The instructor was a former California Highway Patrol motorcycle officer and the instruction was invaluable.

I'm also glad that I did not buy a motorcycle prior to the class. On the afternoon of the 2nd day, I asked the instructor for a recommendation for a first motorcycle. He had seen me ride for 1.5 days so knew my strength, that I have short legs, and balance and he ended up recommending a motorcycle I had not considered. I ended up buying that bike, and I'm glad I did as it was a little bigger than I was looking at so 15 months later I'm not bored with it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I am very familiar with the fan, as I had lived there for a few years.

I would not suggest learning to ride a bike in that environment. Very congested area, a lot of traffic, side streets, etc...

There really aren’t any backroads to get away from traffic, and you couldn’t pay me enough to ride on I95. I just drove through there today. 85mph, and you aren’t keeping up with traffic.

I would tell her to either wait until she is out of the area, or maybe get a dirtbike. I’m not sure what the options are for dirt riding in the area.

Where would she plan on keeping it? Hopefully in a garage. Between crime and drunk college students, I wouldn’t keep it parked on the street.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10558 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post