SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Motorcycle for a Newbie
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorcycle for a Newbie Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted
Personally I've never owned a motorcycle and the last time I rode one was probably 40 years ago...So this I'm not asking the collective as to me.

My daughter is 23 years old lives in Richmond VA. She has always wanted a motorcycle, and yes, I have talked to her about her being both a newbie and the need to worry about other drivers.

Apparently she has been researching the topic for the last 2 years and has found a 2019 Honda Rebel 300 ABS with 1 mile on the odo. The MSRP is $4780 and the advertised price online is $3690.

Assuming it is a foregone conclusion she will buy one at some point in her life, what say you as to the Rebel?

Also what advice can you experienced riders provide for a newbie and her worrying Mom & Dad who live 15 hours away from her?

ADDED INFO:

She has never driven a motorcycle but has ridden on one. She does not have motorcycle license.

ADDED INFO:

She is 5'4". She does not plan to use it for daily transportation and just for fun. She lives near the Fan District. At present, she has zero experience.

ADDED INFO:

She lives in an apartment & there is not a garage. They do have a private parking lot and I don't know what the monthly charge would be for a motorcycle.

From a helmet perspective, what do you recommend? Full face or ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: h2oys,

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
An under rated quality is a ride that she can flatfoot with both feet.

Posts: 9978 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
An under rated quality is a ride that she can flatfoot with both feet.

She is probably 5'5" with short legs so that is good news.

Posts: 3735 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t ride a motorcycle in Richmond and I’m pretty pro moto.

The rebel 300 is a good starter bike. The key is staying with something light and not too powerful.

The Suzuki TU250 is another good bike for her to look for. It has a neat retro vibe going but is still a modern bike and great starter bike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21121 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sugestion:

Motorcycle rider training should be her first move to help her build confidence when riding among motorists glued to a cellphone.

DEFENSIVE rider skills will help her survive on the streets.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
That's an excellent beginner bike, but I would strongly suggest buying a used one. She will save significant money up front, and when she does decide to upgrade she can sell it for exactly what she paid for it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Current rider and have been for about 35 years. Also a parent like you.

First she is an adult and all you can do is to support her. You can't worry about not being there for her through all of life's ups and down. Let her make her own path.

As far as a beginner bike that is a great size and easy to learn on. I'd actually suggest a year or two older model will be an even cheaper starting price. Just like a car - have a qualified mechanic give it a once over.

She'll need to obtain all of the proper gear straight up. Do not skimp on a quality helmet. Jacket, pants, boots, gloves, etc. These will all make the experience more comfortable and safe. This cost needs to be factored in.

Class(s). She'll need to take at least one course. There is no substitute for experience, but safety and handling instruction will go a long way.

We are only scared of the things we don't understand. Become educated.

Cheers~

Posts: 907 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Has she taken a safety course? Has she ridden anything at all?

That Rebel can be a good bike to learn on, but not one that I would take on the highway at all ever.

I live about an hour outside of Richmond and have ridden the better part of 50 years. Riding around town can be a dangerous place to learn how to ride. I will offer that if she does decide to to this, we have a group out here that rides the country roads pretty regularly and can work with her if she would like.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6489 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention her skill level or if she has a motorcycle endorsement. The first thing I would do is have her sign up for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's rider course. They have female specific classes and teachers. My wife took the class as a beginner and she felt it was tremendously beneficial. She gained a lot of confidence in the course and got to try a few different bikes in the process, it also counted as her driving test for the endorsement at the dmv.

I don't know much about the rebel, but something under powered and that she can at least flat foot with one leg is a good start. I don't necessarily think you need to flat foot both legs, although it makes it much easier.

Posts: 2122 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
She can take a class where they provide the bikes, she will have access to several sizes and the instructor will show her the right size she will need.

As a parent, I’d buy her a set of good gear, don’t skimp. It’s not if she’s going to fall, but when....everyone falls.
Gloves jacket boots and helmet must be worn religiously.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11300 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
I would look for a used Honda shadow 500
It’s not much bigger and will do better on the highway and will not get blown across the lane by a semi as bad as the rebel.

Send her to a safety class and then get her to ride with someone or with a group that understands she is a beginner to help her learn

Posts: 1847 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a beginning rider it's all about feeling comfortable and confident on the bike. For most that means a bike that isn't too heavy, too tall, or too fast. The Honda fits that bill, but will be pretty quickly outgrown. I agree with the suggestion to look for something similar size-wise but in the 500-700cc range.

Posts: 2488 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've been riding my dad's Kawasaki Vulcan S for a month or so. It's a 650cc parallel twin & has pretty good performance.

Less likely to 'outgrow' it as the 300cc Rebel.

After a year on a heavy V-twin Indian, the Vulcan feels very light & nimble.

If she's wanting to stick with Honda, I'd go for the 500 over the 300.

As far as advice, ATTGATT & work up to higher speeds & traffic.
Short rides on familiar roads to get accustomed to the bike & it's handling. Work up to longer distances & higher speeds.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Does she know anyone who can teach her to ride on dirt?

Hurts less if you fall off and dirt bikes are less likely to break something expensive when you do.

Posts: 11508 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I got experience riding in the dirt but took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course at 16 in order to get my license. It was invaluable and I still remember it 35 years later. Have her take that and the suggestion of good riding apparel should be addressed next. I haven’t been up to date on bikes in a while but I’d look into maintenance costs. I never understood why motorcycles needed valves adjusted Avery few thousand miles when you don’t do that for autos but that can get pricey.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Take a look here for training in the Richmond area if she does not have some experience.

https://www.mscv.org/courses-o...d/basic-rider-course

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6489 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad she doesn't live in Pennsylvania where the rider training classes are free.

Pa bikers pay for this program with registration/licensing surcharges.

There's around 2.5 million in the kitty, which CAN NOT be touched by Politicians.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
2019 Honda Rebel 300

Since your question was about the bike, yes it's a good starter, low power to weight ratio is good for learning, riding on suburban streets, not interstates or high speed highways per se.

All the usual warnings and advice as offered above about cities, cars, rain, hail, sunlight, helmets, gloves, training, not drinking and riding, applies.

FWIW most HD dealers have a certified training class on weekend, and this is key, they provide the bike A HD Street 500, low, light, easy to ride, perfect for training.

It is similar in size, they are new(er) bikes, dealer maintained, and designed to survive the rituals of first time riders. They have guards installed around the bike in case the rider drops it which saves the riders body and the bike from damage.

Completing the two day course may get her the state certification needed to get the endorsement. Varies by state by law.

Video of Street 500

I mention this as not many Metric stores offer this unless you have your own bike. This way she can learn, test, try, without dropping a dime on the purchase first.

ANd it's not an HD lover only event, open to anyone that wants to learn.

HD Rider Course

Posts: 23524 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Virginia and took a motorcycle class 3 years ago and recommend it. If you pass the class you get the endorsement from the class and all you do is go to the DMV and apply for the license. I went during the summertime and DO NOT recommend it. I would recommend taking the class when it is cooler like early spring or fall. You have to have long sleeve shirt or a jacket, helmet, shoes covering your ankles, and long pants, and most of the time you are outside in the parking lot where it will get over 100 degrees. They give you short 5/10 minute breaks to get a drink. This is a 2 day course. We had some people drop out because of the heat and got heat exhaustion. They end up losing their money for the class. You drop the bike you fail the class too. I hope this helps. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm with VBVAGUY on this one. Take the MSF course, for sure, but take it in the spring or fall. No doubt at all.

H2oys, if your daughter is willing to make the trek to this part of VA, there's an MSF instructor in the area named Robin -- she does an incredible job of turning newbies into good riders. I'd be willing to help put you in touch with her if that's an option.

As for the Honda Rebel, all I can say is that "it's a Honda. No sweat." Then again, I'm a Honda fan.
. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13514 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post