SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advice on large cash payment
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on large cash payment Login/Join 
posted
My father died in January. We are settling part of the estate and I need to send my nephew in North Carolina 24K, I live in Michigan.
The thought of sending any kind of check that large through the USPS, Fed Ex or UPS kind of scares me.
What other options do I have?

Posts: 250 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Direct transfer bank to bank.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wire transfer from your bank account to his.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Bank wire transfer.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
As stated, wire transfer.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
The check should be drawn on an estate or trust account. We (my law office) routinely send small to moderate sized checks to beneficiaries and the IRS via USPS and UPS.

Sometimes we wire the funds. The last money transfer we did we had the banks on each end arrange for an ACH transfer. That was super simple.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ACH transfer.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I was gonna say $1s and $5s but a wire makes more sense.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
What's the concern about sending a check? In the unlikely event that it was lost or stolen you can deal with that easily.
Should take a few days then confirm receipt with tracking or a phone call. Then he deposits the check. No big deal. There will be a record to the payment and deposit. The other option is a wire transfer directly to his account. Costs about $35 at most banks.
Based on the title of the post I thought you were considering a large amount of greenbacks. That I wouldn't do.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Electronic transfer.

When I settled my Dad's estate and I was ready to disperse the funds the bank holding the funds did all the work. I only needed the account and routing numbers for my out of town brothers. Fast, secure and easy. They already had his death cert and my executorship papers on file and charged nothing for the service.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
USPS Priority Flat Rate Envelope with signature confirmation.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am executor for my deceased parents. I sent larger amounts to my brother via back wire transfer.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree wire- you don't want that much cash getting lost.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Ohio | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy way: Direct Xfer

Or

Find a bank in your town that has a bank in his town.

Both put your names on same account,
Deposit the money and he takes it out at his leisure

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I like the way Bendable thinks...no need to pay the bank for them to wire money!

If you (sender) have a bank near you that he (nephew) uses and has an account, just go make a deposit to the nephews account.

If not, then priority mail (USPS) or FEDEX a letter wi5 a check that is signature required and traceable...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
B2B mail checks thats size and more routinely.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perfect for the season. 12 days of Venmo.
They let you do $2000 a day. Cool

Seriously. Worth the money to track the wire transfer. Yes check is nice but by the time add time to get it and then the cost and time to go send it, well worth the wire fee. Also the save the nephew the hassle of heading to the bank and make a deposit. Needing various ids and then his bank hold the money until the clear the check.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mail a smaller check each day until you reach $24k.
(2) 12k+12k
(3) 8k+8k+8k
(4) 6k+6k+6k+6k
(5) 5k+5k+5k+5k+4k
(6) 4k+4k+4k+4k+4k+4k

Or make it the X days until Christmas! Big Grin

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
USPS priority mail and cashier's check (if free), otherwise bankwire.

Or, like my brother did when he sold his apartment in Buenos Aires, Argentina and put the proceeds down on a new house outside the city....hired an armored truck to move the cash (nobody does checks for property sales there).

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with those suggesting wire, ACH, or just mailing a check. The irony is that a wire is not only most likely the easiest and most secure, it's also likely cheaper than a certified/official/cashier check and shipping.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post