SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daylight Stealing Time Ends Tonight! :)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daylight Stealing Time Ends Tonight! :) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Politicians have been trying to make Daylight Saving Time permanent even though many medical and corporate sources say that adopting Standard time would be better overall. Classic case of the politicians saying they know better.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Just read an article about it in the WSJ. American Society of Sleep Medicine recommends year-round standard time as it aligns better with our internal clock.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
I don't care which they keep, just pick one.

This changing messes with my internal clock.

Yep.
Lost an hours sleep, an hour of work and come tonight it'll be an hour later when I finally get to bed. Alarm goes off at 4am.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I don't care which time it is, I can adjust. Just pick one, changing our clocks twice a year is just stupid.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Just read an article about it in the WSJ. American Society of Sleep Medicine recommends year-round standard time as it aligns better with our internal clock.
This, of course, is the correct answer.

But, in an age where people have come to entirely disregard diurnal rhythm, and many, if not most, are nearly constantly sleep-deprived, many don't understand, much less appreciate, the importance of that.

I've recently decided to become fit again. In reading/following various trainers, physicians, sports docs, etc. I've observed several common themes. One of them being a good night's sleep, seven to eight hours, is critical for effective fat loss, stress reduction, and muscle gain. That is most-easily achieved by following diurnal rhythm.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Alabama and several other states have passed laws to stay on DST year around but unfortunately Congress has to approve and they are too busy giving money to Ukraine and lobbying to cut little boys dicks off.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to be on board with ending DST and keeping the clocks the same year-round, but after thinking about it, I'm for keeping it the way it is now. I like having longer evenings in the summer as it allows me to stay out and do things, like fishing, after work. By the time I go to bed it's dark. I don't want to hear the birds chirping at 4 in the morning.

Also, as a hunter, I don't want to have to get up an hour earlier and be on my stand by 0500 when bow hunting starts in September here in Wisconsin. I also don't want to have to be out in a turkey blind in April by at least 0430. There's only a few days of adjustment when we change over, so keep it the way it is.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I strongly dislike DST, and always have. Leave the clocks alone on standard time. If you want to do things in the evening, arrange your personal work schedule to permit, don't mess with everyone else.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Had to get up at what felt like 3:30 this morning for work (the new 4:30), but it was worth it to be able to go walk the dog in the daylight after I got home this evening. Working 12s, there's no usable daylight after I get home in the winter, so I'm happy for the change. I wish they just left it like this year-round.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I like the light later in the day.

Every year someone says this is the year it ends and it never does.

Just leave it alone already.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Standard time please

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
I like the light later in the day.

Every year someone says this is the year it ends and it never does.

Just leave it alone already.

Same here. Who cares if it’s dark while driving to work. I hate getting home from work and it’s already dark out.

Now that I’m retired it’s not as much of a deal.

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I wish they'd just pick one and stick with it. We've lived most of our lives in places where the clocks don't change, and I really don't see a point in changing the time back and forth on my selfish, personal level.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Why can’t we as a society decide that a workday should be 7-4 instead of fooling with the clocks twice a year? If we do DST year round, it will require all road construction to extend into the afternoon commute.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I've made the executive decision that our office hours will change if this shit doesn't end this year. Permanent DST (the only way to go) for me and my employees from here on out.
This fall if they want to change the clocks back to where we all have to go home in the dark we will simply change our hours to compensate and everyone doesn't have to have their internal clocks get fucked up again.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It’s spring break for the kids.

12 yo son this morning: “Dad, I think there’s something wrong with me.”

Me: “Why’s that?”

Son: “I woke up at 8.”

Me: “What time do you normally wake up?”

Son: “7”

Typically hearing impaired daughter from three rooms away with her door closed: “IT’S BECAUSE OF THE TIME CHANGE!!!”

Me: “I’m glad you are up. Will you take the dog out?”

Back to hearing impaired daughter: “WHAT? I CAN’T HEAR YOU. I’M IN MY ROOM AND THE DOOR IS CLOSED.”

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post