SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your response when someone says 'Thank you for your service'?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your response when someone says 'Thank you for your service'? Login/Join 
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
"Thank you for allowing me to serve"

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I do my best to avoid the topic or recognition as a Vet, but otherwise if thats unavoidable I just nod.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
"It was my pleasure"
Do you work for CFA? Wink

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a simple thank you works. I know most of us Veterans loved what we did and would do it again in a heartbeat! My Navy days are some of the funnest times in my life.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
"Thank you. Rock of the Marne."

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have folks say it frequently to me on duty, and say "It is my pleasure".

What I noticed was an increase of people saying it during the tenure of Barry the Red, when he released the dogs on all police. It's a good feeling to know so many people recognized his hate for law enforcement.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’ve been awkwardly replying “thanks, it was my job. I’d do it again if I didn’t have to run 5-8 miles everyday.” You’re welcome sounds much better.

Posts: 6014 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I say 'thank you, and thank you for your support'.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Say "I did my job - and I would do it again" !! Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
The way I was treated as Nam Vet; temped to say something like "Too Little, too Late" but I normally just nod and say nothing.

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It bothers me as one of my high school friends died in Vietnam & I was unscathed. It bothers me as several of my Infantry OCS Classmates died in Vietnam & I never got shot at. It bothers me as I feel I did nothing special & only know 1 person of my high school class of 1963 that did not serve. I never was spit at or cursed, just girls seemed to keep their distance when I went back to college at age 24 after 3 years in the Army. I guess "thank you" is the only answer.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I also shop a lot at Lowes and realize there is a prompt on the cashiers screen relative to my military service which apparently they've been trained to respond to. I usually just humbly say "thanks" and move on. Every now and again the cashier will look me right in the eye with a big smile while saying thank you for your service. I give these folks a little more feed back.

Other instances where my service is noted, it's usually just thanks or your welcome. I don't want to engage in a long discussion on the subject, and I'm sure they don't either.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I got thanked while working the other day by an older gentleman wearing a hat that implied he was a Marine in WWII. Having never served in the military it caught me off guard and all I could think of to say was thank you. Afterwards though I wanted to say that he deserves a thanks way more than I do.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Today I was in a grocery store wearing a Marine Corps ball cap. A woman was running the checkout line and she said, "Thank you for your service..." (I'm tuning out)...and adds..."I appreciate your willingness to defend our country and our constitution." Eek

I paused and thanked her for making her gratitude 'real' and say 'why' she was thankful. I've never had anyone do that part before, it made me feel good.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
I typically say you're welcome and if it happens to be a fellow vet I thank them for their service.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
On a tangent, when in a diner I've anonymously paid for meals of service folks in uniform, eating there. I always ask my server to tell them thanks from a grateful family. The last time I tried to do this the server informed me I was the third person to offer.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too just simply say "Thank you". If I see a fellow vet (or whom I assume to be a fellow vet, wearing hat, t-shirt, etc), I always say "thank you for your service" to them as well. I find it very important to recognize my fellow brothers and sisters in arms, especially my elders who were most likely not thanked and appreciated in their time of service.

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I always simply said "thank you." But thinking about it now, perhaps "you're welcome" is more appropriate. Then again, the appreciation does goes both ways.
I was taught at a very early age to respond "You're welcome!" when someone said "Thank you" to me, and that's what I do in this case. I may add "I appreciate your support."
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
It embarasses me because it reminds me of all the guys, who were getting shot and I wasn't.
I also fall into that category. I just remember that the person who just thanked me has no way of knowing that.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I'm like Garth when someone says "I love you".

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4619 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
If I see a member of the Older Generation (yeah, I'm in that group) wearing a ball cap or other clothing that identifies him (rarely her) as having served in the Army, Air Force, or Marines, I thank them, stating "even though it was in <name of service branch>," and add, after a very slight pause, "I was Navy." This usually ends up with a handshake and smiles.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post