SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Middle East travel worries (flying in and out of Dubai)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Middle East travel worries (flying in and out of Dubai) Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I'm in the process of planning a family (5 adults)vacation to Thailand.
Up to yesterday I planned on flying on Emirates to and from Chicago. Emirates hubs in Dubai both there and on the return.
I read and heard great things about Emirates Air and looked forward to flying part of the journey on a Airbus 380 (a 777 for the other part of the trip from and to Chicago).

With the heightened tensions from terrorists I'm second thinking any layover (3hr going - 6hrs return) or boarding any plane in the middle east.

To you world travelers out there, Are my fears out of line or do you think I should book on a different carrier that stops over in Hong Kong or someplace else in Asia.

Posts: 4687 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Otto and others can probably give you much more current intel. Travelling Emerates thru Dubai shouldnt be a big deal. Dubai as far as ME places go isnt a huge issue. That said, I personally never felt comfortable ANYWHERE in the ME.

Emrates has some top notch service.
Dubai is a stunning airport.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I would look forward to there thoughts.

Posts: 4687 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're fine in Dubai. If you're absolutely paranoid or, your schedule doesn't allow, the airport is stunning as international terminals outside the US are places you can actually enjoy. If you're able to grab a taxi, tell the driver to drive you around, check out a mall, eat some lunch at the food court and head back to the airport.

Or, fly west, change planes in LAX or, SFO and continue-on, skipping Dubai altogether.

Posts: 15055 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I've been there. At this point in history Dubai is safer than London or Paris. However, a 3 or 6 hour layover is not enough time to see the city. I would have taken a layover of a few days.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Why not look the other way, Narita Japan then on down? I know it may be a different or US Carrier.

We may try to get to Okinawa later this Summer. The 13 y/o Son really wants to go to see some WW-II sights in the Pacific.

Most any large airport is completely safe. Those countries want to stay out of the headlines with security issues.

Posts: 6389 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't have any more concerns flying in and out of Dubai than anywhere in Europe or Asia. I would book that flight without too much worry. Though I admit I've never actually flown there before.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Why not look the other way, Narita Japan then on down? I know it may be a different or US Carrier.

Emirates Air vs a US airline? No contest. EA is one of the best. The only reason to fly the US carrier is to stay within their reward system. Everything else about it will suck.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Agreed Emirates is superior in service to the US carriers. You should have no worries about transiting Dubai as an American. We were comfortable staying there recently for a few days with our two young daughters. Not my favorite place in the world, but worth seeing once and we never felt unsafe.

Posts: 481 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Check to make sure Emirates Air is not one of the airlines affected by the order by President Trump restricting the ability to carry electronic devices on board. I believe Emirates is on the list but I don't know whether it is all routes including to its hub in Dubai.

Other than that is a perfectly safe place to visit and or transit. The Emirati have put a lot of money into making sure that the country is safe from islamist wackjobs.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32004 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived in the UAE for about 6 years and fly Emirates at least 10 times a year now. You have no thing to worry about, except gaining weight on the flight...they love giving you food.
Enjoy the trip!

Posts: 653 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
The Emirates are solid. They REALLY don't want any terrorists cutting into their cash flow, so they have done a lot to keep a cap on any nonsense. Their airports are brand new and their planes are pretty young vintage. The only problem they are having is that many of the American expats are coming back to the States now that the job market has picked up. There's still a lot of good pilots floating around there, and I wouldn't...and don't...hesitate to fly them.

Good food, free alcohol even in coach, and a bazillion movies routed to each seat make for a good flight.

Sig2340 does have a good point however, that I believe the Emirates are on the proposed list of countries with large electronics in the cabin being restricted or prohibited.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
My brother fewl Emeriates to Dubai last week, said it was fantastic. Best airline travel of his life. Emerites will also hook you us in Dubai to make layover easy, they arranged a day trip of dubai for him for $85, they also have some kind of lounge/restaurant not sure what in Dubai for shorter layovers.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5178 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Was just in Dubai a few days ago, and have flown Emirates through there a few times in the last few months. No worries.

The airport is fantastic, Emirates service is fantastic. I would book it without a second thought.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1784 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
While I have never flown Emirates or to Dubai I wouldn't hesitate to. I'd consider it safer then Mexico and I've been there a few times.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I'd be more concerned about having to check my laptop now than I would flying in and out of Dubai. Admittedly it's been a few years since I've been there, but Dubai is pretty safe (if you stay out of trouble at least).

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice.
I had thought of switching to Cathay Pacific but now I think I will follow through with Emirates.
I like the idea of seeing Dubai and flying part of the trip on a A380.

Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
I think once you fly with Emirates or Asiana as my son does you really going to hate flying in the US.
Such a complete different customer service.

Posts: 1899 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Emirates has the bar and lounge on the upper deck of the A380. Standing at a bar, sipping a gin and tonic and talking to a bartender from Sydney makes you feel that air travel is not so bad now.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1784 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Need not worry traveling through Emirates either...

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post