SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why is mechanical engineering so cultural?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why is mechanical engineering so cultural? Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
It doesn’t seem to matter what the product is, a German, English and American good will all be designed in similar fashions.

(These days, at least in the US market, all built, poorly, by the ChiComs)

By definition, “German Engineering” would be bad engineering in the US. (Almost a perverse desire to complicate designs/use specialized parts/increased maintenance cycles, etc.)

But, the Germans still build/design at the Europeans scale market, and the US companies ignore anyone other than a megacorp.

Italians and the British are similar in that they both produce incredible craftsman, and engineer with the intent to either provide work for those craftsman, or with the presumption that the end user will hire a craftsman to maintain it.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've thought about that from time to time from the perspective of an Electronic Engineer, which was my occupation until retirement.

Electronic Engineering is the opposite and I don't know why.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
(These days, at least in the US market, all built, poorly, by the ChiComs)

They figured out that their biggest customer (us) is a throw away and buy another kind of people. We want it quick and we want it now.

Unskilled and cheap labor pumping out volume and not quality is where the money is, and they want money.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It's a science but there's an art form to applying the science and that's passed on through the teaching and mentoring process. It's not that I knew this all along; it's what I concluded in considering the issue posed in the OP.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
That's what I thought - my profs who taught me that the German solution is bad, because it wouldn't rely on standard components, was too complex, etc, must have had counterparts somewhere going on that the "beauty of design" or whatever some of the more arcane German solutions.

I'm not entirely certain there really are Italian and English engineers... I know English engineers built the world in the Industrial era - and given their names, that they were all born into families who...

Are most English engineers still named some form of "wright"?

If the Italians and the British engineers are still coming from a lineage of craftsmen, it would explain a great deal.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
At least some of those assumptions or stereotypes are getting dated and a lot of completed products come from parts that are sourced from a variety of countries.
A lot of things have changed in the last 20 years or so.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
People in all professions repeat what their schooling and mentors present.

I chose a BMW K1600GT motorcycle most recently. I decided to take a chance on German engineering. How this machine is designed and built goes beyond what is necessary. But, I put up with it quirks and foibles because of its performance. 165 hp. Six-cylinder inline engine. Take no prisoners mentality. What a machine.

I rode a Honda Interceptor motorycle before. Amazing. Complex. But, understandable. Worked without a fault for 18 years, until I sold it. No maintenance required. Fast, light, powerful, and got a thumbs up from anyone at a stoplight with its HRC paint job.

I rode a Suzuki SV650S motorcycle before. Competent. Inexpensive. Easy to modify. Easy to maintain.

Years ago, I rode a Honda Nighthawk. Truly universal. Optimized. Nothing more than I needed. Everything I had to have.

Point I’m trying to make, slowly, is that the same “culture” of Japan created three different motorcycles. I enjoyed each one, but for different reasons. And, the “culture” of Germany created “the ultimate driving machine.”

I think it is more than culture, and I would suggest that it is driven by the visionary leadership within a culture.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Similar but different: if you walk around our building and look at test stations, you can pretty quickly tell which of us built it. Each test engineer has his own style and method, and they seem to be similar in intent but way different in execution.

[Thread drift] 4MUL8R, what model was your Interceptor? [/thread drift]

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
good, cheap, fast

pick 2

American's are impatient, and want things yesterday

and are always looking for the lowest price on everything

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Different cultures have different priorities. Engineers of all stripes design to meet the needs and desires of potential customers.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, the Germans build the best mass market cars by delivering the biggest engines with the best brakes and superior handling.

Unfortunately, they take the quest to the most ridiculous detail. Years ago, the bolt holding the idler pulley on my wifes BMW sheared off. It was made of aluminum. When I asked the (German) service advisor about it, he replied "It is a performance car....." When I asked him how much weight was saved by 1 aluminum bole vs steel he was shocked that anyone would ask.....

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
A lot of things have changed in the last 20 years or so.

Yes... I'm sure they have... But I've also had a conversation w. a German engineer about why his product didn't work, and was informed "XYZ is too hot." He knew his product was to be installed in XYZ, before it was built, but he'd declare God wrong, before changing his design...

American-trained engineers do not think that way.

It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
A lot of it are different philosophies of engineering design. Do you want it to be easy to repair, or not need to be repaired for a very long time? Do you want it to be as simple as possible, or do you want functions to be completely independent of each other? How about redundancies? A low cost approach or money is no object? Culture will affect all of these. Europeans have buildings older than countries, working mechanical devices hundreds of years old, that has to affect their mindset when approaching an engineering project.

And sometimes it is just a different approach. I distinctly remember being tasked with reviewing an engineering model, and my comment was “it isn’t how I would do it, but it will work”.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why are nail salon predominantly vietnamese ?
Donut shops in L.A. Asian?

Around here there are 8 restaurants that operated by slavs of one type or another.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who are slabs? Is that an Iowa thing?

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
It's not just mechanical folk.

Engineer: "There's my way, and the wrong way"

US Navy: "There's a right way, wrong way, and the Navy way" Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I had a passing familiarity with Brit motor vehicles as younger guy, they more fiddly than they should be. As I encountered other Brit engineering over the years, things seemed more complicated and less effective than necessary. I passed it off to the product of nook and cranny minds coming from a nook and cranny country.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I've thought about that from time to time from the perspective of an Electronic Engineer, which was my occupation until retirement.

Opposite in what way? I'm not following.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

Opposite in what way? I'm not following.

We don't do bad engineering, live by good engineering practices and pursue state of the art passionately. What we do and use this year is absolutely nothing like what we will do and use next year.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
OK. I get what you mean, in a way, but that’s technique, not process.

Might not translate outside of mechanical devices.

Germans might have an obsession with making things small?

Not sure. The device I mentioned would have needed to be a small amount larger - vast void left in the envelope. Definitely could have enlarged it. Making it compact didn’t really save any operating cost, but I supposed used a tiny bit less steel.