SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bill Maher has been branded a heretic by leftists
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bill Maher has been branded a heretic by leftists Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
We all know what happens to heretics. His blasphemy has gone too far this time.

For conservatives and moderates in this nation, our politics are defined by the Constitution, but for the leftists, their politics is their religion, and if you defy church doctrine, they're gonna barbecue you.

Bill Maher's "Smug Face"

Good luck to ya, Bill. Conservatives won't have you and now you're losing the left. Yeah, I know you have mountains of money, but that doesn't mean you can't be truly phucked. You feed off of attention, public acceptance and validation of your opinions. In your position, if you lose the public it doesn't matter how much money you have. Just ask Bill Cosby.

Toodles!

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
They always eat their own.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
*I heard he could end up on CNN. Given the latest, I wouldn't bet on it.

*Mentioned in the article, my bad.

Posts: 2715 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Every so often he will say something that rubs me the wrong way (like recently he said Alec Baldwin should not be charged because it was an accident, bit it was clear he had little clue on what really happened), but even when the rest of the left was piling on their Trump bashing, he was taking a middle road/right leaning stance. It took me a bit to start watching him again since I do remember him being a far left demagogue.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Leftist and "Young Turks" host Cenk Uygur claimed that Maher was a culture warrior for the political right.

"Bill Maher is actually perfect for CNN to be honest. False equivalencies, propping up right-wing culture war talking points, fighting for the status quo and that smug face. [Jake] Tapper might get jealous because he might be outsmugged."

Big Grin

Cenk Uygur has a smug face. I remember the video of him the night Trump was elected in 2016.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
There is a small niche in Bill Maher's brain that common sense and rational thought exists .... but the rest of it is just pure hate and asshole-ness.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm of the "I'll take wins where I can find 'em" school school of thought.

I disagree with much of what Maher says, but, find myself in agreement with much of his other positions. Furthermore: Unlike the vast majority of leftists (and I don't even know as Maher even qualifies as a "leftist"): He can be funny even when he's poking fun at a principle to which I subscribe.

I place him in about the same category as I do Piers Morgan.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maher is simply moving on to the next big deal he can secure. For every correct or, interesting position, he spits-out 2-3 more than are wrong and not very well considered. He's a smart guy, he refuses to be a yes-man/shill like Kimmel, Colbert, and Corden. He works in a vapid, superficial world, he knows how the entertainment business works

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I think he will survive it. Leftists dislike him because he won't go all in on their lunacy. He is still a lib but a fairly rational one, closer to the middle. I still don't think he has a clue about guns. I would love to take him shooting just once. But, for the most part, I don't hate him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is important that we teach our children and anyone we can to think for themselves and to arrive at educated opinions. We must not just listen to these media types. If you have been following Steven Crowder, he has shown that most personalities on the right are controlled opposition. So, it is very important that we use our minds.

** My Underdeveloped Collection **
Sig Sauer P229 .40 Black with Aluminum Grips
Sig Sauer P250 9mm Black
Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm
Springfield XD .40 Subcompact Black
Springfield XD .45 Tactical Bi-Tone

Posts: 645 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
I think he will survive it. Leftists dislike him because he won't go all in on their lunacy. He is still a lib but a fairly rational one, closer to the middle. I still don't think he has a clue about guns. I would love to take him shooting just once. But, for the most part, I don't hate him.

He can be a smug jackass, but he's not stupid. I feel like if you can take it, and dish it out, he'd be a fun guy to hang out with. He's willing to talk to people who are totally the opposite of him, and he pushes back on the lunacy from people he agrees with, that's a rare thing for a lefty.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Complaining that he thinks that cancer culture has gone too far and then demanding he be cancelled.

The irony. It drips like molasses.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Despite his past, if he can change the minds of even a few leftists, I'm all for it. As we know, dems have drifted far to the left and I believe he sees the reality of that.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Despite his past, if he can change the minds of even a few leftists, I'm all for it.
If a person's mind can be changed, they are not a leftist.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
What? You mean that being smug and artificially controlling the conversations you're in isn't enough?

What's Anderson Cooper supposed to do?

The left's fundamental problem with understanding Maher is that they don't realize that he's their canary in a coal mine - he's sometimes among the first liberals to question orthodoxy when liberal orthodoxy starts becoming obnoxious even to the liberal faithful themselves.

OTOH he's consistently an orthodox liberal often enough that no one else feels obliged to defend him when his mouth catches him some flack.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I get your point, para. But I'm still hopeful he can bring some people to our side.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sad part is how far the left is going now. I thought Maher was pretty out there but now he seems like a conservative comparatively.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I don't think Maher is going to turn this around CNN's Friday Night viewership woes. I took a look at CNN friday night viewership for Jan '23. Half the time they don't even crack the top 50, and get slaughtered in the vaunted 18-49 demographic. I find it hilarious that low brow crap like Love After Lockup beats CNN half of the Friday nights in January.

He occasionally makes a good point so if some sad sack that watches CNN on Friday night sees it then it's good.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
You won't get your message out to the 18-49 demographic on TV, you need Tiktok and other social media outlets to reach them, on phones all the time looking at videos.

The occasional glance at Mass Media may happen, most likely because they clicked a link somewhere to a CNN video...

They are mind controlled by technology, slaves to Silicon Valley.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post