SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any one familiar with APOLLO (Apache Point Lunar Laser-ranging Operation)?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any one familiar with APOLLO (Apache Point Lunar Laser-ranging Operation)? Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
Just saw this on the news. During the Apollo missions, they left reflectors on the surface of the moon. Periodically, they shoot lasers from the earth at the reflectors to measure the distance between the two. I believe they are doing it tonight.

Anyone know what time? Is it visible?

Sounds pretty amazing, they can determine the distance to within 1mm. And yes, the moon is losing it's gravitational pull by about 1.5" per year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...er-ranging_Operation

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I knew about it because I am a space junkie, but I honestly think the episode of the Big Bang theory featuring the guys shooting a laser at the reflectors increased the people that knew about it more than anything else since they were place up there

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Kevbo,
As a space nerd, you might enjoy this. Real time updates of the Voyager satellites. I can’t even comprehend those distances. Pretty amazing!!!

The “once in a lifetime alignment” is pretty cool as well. Using gravitational pull to swing the satellite through the orbits of 4 planets. Happens every 176 years.

https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL1OATdBoY8

James

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I was aware of the reflectors left on the Moon and the actions to measure the distance from Earth. I do not know how or when those measurements are scheduled, though. I also knew that the Moon is slowly retreating from the Earth, and that it won't be too long before it's far enough away that total Solar Eclipses won't be possible.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
... I also knew that the Moon is slowly retreating from the Earth, and that it won't be too long before it's far enough away that total Solar Eclipses won't be possible.

flashguy

Don't worry, that date is more than a half billion years in the future. The Earth won't even be habitable much longer than that.

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 648 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post