SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you ever shot and killed a living being?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever shot and killed a living being? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I'm very effective with a fly swatter, that count?

That depends, is it hammer or striker-fired? Razz

One could argue that Bug-A-Salt counts under the way I worded things, but that would an incredibly slim technicality, lol.

Yeah, I'm specifically addressing willfully pulling the trigger on a living being here. I've seen posts mentioning fishing, or road kill and things of that nature. That's not what I'm talking about. It's a very different thing, pointing a firearm (I'll include airguns in this as they surely can and do kill) at a living being and making the decision to pull the trigger and having something die by your hands in this way.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am the jerk that stops his car in a neighborhood (not a highway) to grab a turtle and move him across the street so he doesn't turn into asphalt stew.

Hah! you are not the only one. I have done that several times, including a snapping turtle that was about 24 inches long.

Have also rescued a few snakes from the roads.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Elk Hunter,

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ewills:
I am the jerk that stops his car in a neighborhood (not a highway) to grab a turtle and move him across the street so he doesn't turn into asphalt stew.

Sorry. That doesn't qualify you for jerk status. If I were behind you I'd either help or at least give you a thumbs up.

There is one squirrel in my neighborhood I have to stop for because he is challenging me and I don't want to run him over. He just stands in front my car (usually with a nut in his mouth) and says "come at me bro" Smile

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:

Hah! you are not the only one. I have done that several times, including a snapping turtle that was about 24 inches long.

US-1 in Rockledge, Fl about ten years ago, I wound up holding up southbound traffic for a minute to grab a gopher tortoise. He/she was a big one, and it got a bit hairy for a minute with it hissing at me and trying to reach around for my hand while people were honking at me.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Dozens of mammals and birds, thousands of bugs, and likely billions of microbes.

The one that haunts me most was a robin in my parent's yard I shot with a BB gun.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Dozens of mammals and birds, thousands of bugs, and likely billions of microbes.

What caliber for microbes?

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I've never shot anything living.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
quote:

US-1 in Rockledge, Fl about ten years ago, I wound up holding up southbound traffic for a minute to grab a gopher tortoise. He/she was a big one, and it got a bit hairy for a minute with it hissing at me and trying to reach around for my hand while people were honking at me.

Good man.

And fuck the people honking at you. They should be applauding you (I'm a bit biased as I had several desert tortoises as pets when I was a kid).

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:

What caliber for microbes?

Yeah, guess I was just answering the killing part rather than the method.

That said, chemical warfare for microbes.
Vee haff veppons of vich you haff never dreamed!
You know, hand sanitizer or chlorox for example.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
In 13+ years on patrol I have killed countless deer. This was always a result of a vehicle vs. deer collision. Now, almost 17 years in and having an office, I don't get to many of those runs.

My first issue, Sig P220, took most of them. My issue Glock 17 has taken some. I even took a few with my Glock 42, 43 and Sig P320 9mm.

I never felt too bad about them because everyone was suffering.

I have also taken several raccoon. On one I used a Glock 23.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Rats at a dumpsite up north many years ago.

Jackrabbits in New Mexico early 80's using .22's. They are considered non game and year round open season. We were doing this as a service to a farmer, his place was overrun with them.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I voted no. I've never shot anything other than targets. Once upon a time I thought I would go deer hunting but it never happened for various reasons and now that I'm older I lost interest.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
No and unless an animal (human or otherwise) is threatening me or anyone else (including pets) I don’t see myself changing that. I never saw the need to fish or hunt.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I did it the other day on my street. I put him on my lawn and like 3 hours later he made his way onto my drive way

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
My first was killing a bird. My friend and I were just shooting a.BB gun at random things. I saw a bird and shot it. It didn't die right away. It was suffering. I put a BB in its head to stop the pain. What waste. I still feel guilty.
Since them I have hunted pheasant. No problem shooting them to eat. I dont feel bad because I am using the meat.
I also killed a opossum terrorizing my chickens.
I will not kill just to kill. I learned my lesson at least in my opinion.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sense a trend in this thread.....something that connects us all.

Senseless killing brings on feelings of guilt.

While some use it as a means to feed family. That is a good reason.

I see this as a great balance.

I loathe trophy hunting.Killing exotics bothers me.

Hanging heads and mocking an opponent feels wrong (food goes to the locals......fine, but leave everything to the locals. They will be glad for the chance to sell tusks, or livers, or any other thing.)

I guess this is why I get a chuckle when some artsty fartsy trophy hunter gets schooled by the prey.

posted Hide Post
Shot lots of things. Tried really hard to plink a couple of two legged varmints. Unsuccessful.
The worst experiences:
Shooting all the injured cats and dogs that no one cared about, to end their suffering.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Yes. Some justifiable, one or two not. The justifiable ones give you pause, I think, even if you're using the targeted being for food, etc., if you have much of a conscience. The others I've attempted to not think on too often, or too hard.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Alaska. I shot a grouse that was flying away from me. He was about 30 feet away and receding at full speed. I pulled my MkII Ruger and dropped him with one shot. .22 LR right between the shoulders, with nothing but iron sights.

That remains the best shot I've ever taken, and likely ever will. . .

Oh, and he was delicious.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21846 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
I think that the question is not clearly defined. I realize that in certain definitions “living being” is all inclusive of any organism that is “alive” as opposed to “dead.”

However, the common word “being” is more directly associated with “human being.”

Also, by “shot” this can be applied in different ways: shot with a firearm, arrow, BB gun, F-15 or a 105 howitzer.

Yes, I have “shot” and killed well over 100 people in a very intense three day period, directing 102’s, and 155s. The killing continued at a very reduced rate for several months. No, I do not regret this, but, I did stop counting somewhere around 130 because it just didn’t seem right.

I hunted deer and turkey for only a couple of years 1993 – 1995. I stalk hunted and spent the time in the woods looking for bobby tracks, and ambushes – not very pleasant when hunting.

I will only mercy shoot an animal, and this with a very heavy heart.

So, to answer the question: Yes I have “shot” a lot of “beings” and do not regret killing every one of those bastards and regret that I did not kill more and thereby save more of my people.

And yes, I have shot animals and hope I am never again placed in a situation to put down another one.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2274 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post