SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you ever shot and killed a living being?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever shot and killed a living being? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I also think you can tell a lot about a person by how they treat animals, even in the act of taking their lives.

This^^^

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i was a hired gun at 11 yrs old a farmer paid me and my friend to shoot crows in the corn field for 10 cents a pop we both had daisy 880's

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've shot my share of nuisance animals, and put quite a few injured ones down as well. I don't particularly like killing things, but when necessary I will do it, and I try to do it as quickly and humanely as possible. I also hunt for meat, but I've not had much success.

My son and I fish a lot, primarily for bass. We like to catch and release...there's something magnificent about landing a large fish, then gently releasing him and watching him flick his tail and swim away. Injured or gullet hooked ones we will keep and eat if they are legal size. We also eat Bluegill and Crappie. I still don't really enjoy killing and cleaning them, but they sure do taste good.

So to answer the question...I don't feel that it's wrong to take life, but it needs to be done with purpose, and with respect.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
or rhino just to see it die

What about a man in Reno?

I'm a little young for JC, so for me it was Brooklyn.

Only Bestie Boys fans will understand that.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Many many many.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Killed a songbird of some kind as a kid with a BB gun, and felt pretty much shitty about it afterwards. Killed a dog in Iraq that had a nearly severed foreleg infested with maggots. Killed a crow and a deer that were eating in my father-in-law's garden. The deer fed my family for about 4 months.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i prefer harsh language

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Yes, small game and deer and turkey.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para,

My story is nearly the same except is was a sparrow on a power line with a BB in a slingshot/wrist rocket. Nearly impossible shot, surprised I hit it. I was probably 10-11 as well. I cried and then buried it.

I don't hunt, I've shot some prairie dogs on my uncle's land and shot "at" some Taliban jerks on a far away ridge, no way I hit anything though.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A few dozen hogs. Several armadillos. A few possums. A couple deer. A couple snakes. A coyote. And a cow.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Last thing I shot was an armadillo.

The critter was running around at three in the afternoon and charging at my dogs from the other side of the fence. Assumed it had rabies or some other ailment and put it out of its misery.

Usually I'll leave a trap out near the house if the critters are digging up the yard. Then I take them towards the creek in the back yard and let them go. They seem to like the creek better anyway as I can't say I've trapped the same one twice.

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
No, I have never shot and killed a living creature. However, my father and uncles were all hunters, and I have no ill feelings about hunting--I just didn't want to do it. I have eaten and enjoyed the fruits of their hunting, and I regularly eat meat that has been commercially butchered.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
A bird like Para, a goose, a handful of deer, a couple antelope and an Elk.

(Edit to remove non firearm related kills)

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started hunting at an early age, continues to today. Guess around 60 years. Rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, turkey, duck, quail & dove. Always take my kills home for lunch or supper.

Never got into Deer hunting, seemed like too much work.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yes, a damn near impossible shot (which is why I took it, I guess) at a Blue Jay. Crosman BB gun when I was ten years old. When it hit the bird, I thought I had missed, because it flew off the branch it was sitting on and made a slow, lazy circle to the ground, then didn't move any more. No one- including the bird- was more surprised than me. The next day, the woman who lived in the
house chastised me and asked me the point of doing that. I coudn't answer her. Since then, no, nothing else, and you can laugh or roll your eyes, but I still think about that bird and I still feel bad about it.

Para was it a Crosman 760 Powermaster, bolt loader all metal with wood furniture 1st variant?
And do you still have it?

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have killed(butchered) 35 pigs.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yes. Didn’t want to but had to.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I shot a robin out of a tree with a BB gun when I was 16 or so. I felt horrible. totally didn't mean to, or didn't expect to hit it, or whatever. definitely not my greatest day.

A few years ago I shot a bunch of whistle-pigs with a .22 with my dad and (now ex-)brother-in-law. That was a pretty good day.

I still have yet to go hunting. Never been, although I grew up on stories from my dad about his hunting adventures growing up in Idaho. My dad still wants to take me, and now my (half)brother wants to take me, too.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Other than quail, pheasants, grouse, ducks, geese, deer, elk, bears, wild boars, (some of which was done in Germany and Iran)?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Yes, many times than I can recall.
Hunting of course and butchering of livestock on the family farm.

Cows, pigs, sheep, chickens.

Deer, woodchuck and squirrels

Feral dogs running livestock as well.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post