SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    San Diego Sheriff's Deputy Exposed to Fentanyl, incident captured by his FTO's BWC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

San Diego Sheriff's Deputy Exposed to Fentanyl, incident captured by his FTO's BWC Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
A San Diego Sheriff's Deputy exposed to Fentanyl, incident captured by his Field Training Officer's (FTO's) body worn camera (BWC).

It took multiple doses of Naxalone (NARCAN) to reverse the effects.

To all of our first responders, be careful out there.

To the rest of our membership, be careful out there.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Scary as hell.
We were always taught that the half-life of a narcotic was greater than that of naloxone (Narcan); but this is a dramatic illustration of that. Incredible potency of fentanyl.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
so did he just inhale some of the powder particles in the air?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Scary as hell.
We were always taught that the half-life of a narcotic was greater than that of naloxone (Narcan); but this is a dramatic illustration of that.

Oh, definitely. Narcan is to buy time to get them to a higher level of care, and often requires repeated applications.

Think of it as delaying the effects of opiates, not curing them.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
so did he just inhale some of the powder particles in the air?

That, or touched it with his hands (he wasn't wearing gloves), or got some on his skin through other means. They didn't specify.

Fentanyl is able to be absorbed through the skin.

And it's so potent that it only takes a tiny amount (like a grain of sand) for a non-opiate addict to OD, stop breathing, and die.

Opiate addicts have built up a high physical tolerance to the chemicals, so can handle ingesting significantly larger concentrations of opiates before ODing than a non-user. (Much like an alcoholic can drink a larger amount of alcohol without developing alcohol poisoning or passing out, due to their developed tolerance.)

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…

... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmH?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks for this link !

As a nurse anesthetist, I have given fentanyl ( I.V.) to folks young and old since 1982.... I have never seen a reaction like that. My best guess is that the street drug is either much more potent than pharmaceutical fentanyl or else what everyone calls "fentanyl" is actually some sort of derivative ( maybe "carfentanyl" ?).

Either way, this is a very impressive and dangerous chemical !! It definitely looks like an extremely potent opioid.

As a side note: Carfentanyl was invented about 30 years ago. About that same time, there was an incident in Russia where some Chechen rebels took over a theater and held a bunch of people hostage. The Russian government eventually flooded the HVAC system with a "drug" and everyone supposedly passed out and quit breathing. The plan was for the Russian military to then run in and inject ( save) all of the civilians with some sort of rescue drug. Many folks in the anesthesia biz always suspected that it was Carfentanyl followed by naloxone. Unfortunately the military was too slow and most of the hostages died.....Later, the Russians were as tight lipped as the Russians always are and the media lost interest.

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…

... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmH?

I’ll refrain from further comment right now, would love to read a detailed report of what exactly happened and the test results of the substance, but I’ll repost what mike28w, whose probably had more experience with fentanyl than the rest of the board combined, said:

“ As a nurse anesthetist, I have given fentanyl ( I.V.) to folks young and old since 1982.... I have never seen a reaction like that.”

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Scary as hell.
We were always taught that the half-life of a narcotic was greater than that of naloxone (Narcan); but this is a dramatic illustration of that. Incredible potency of fentanyl.

We had a significant amount make it into our jail earlier this year and had multiple overdoses over the course of several weeks… multiple incidents had multiple subjects go down at the same relative time. I think in one case we had 4 inmates go down.

In some cases it took many doses of the nasal spray to gain any effect and then again, repeated doses as the inmates started to degrade.

We had just rolled out widespread distribution and training to our jail staff of the narcan and having it handy surely saved at least a few lives.

We get one or two a month now but during that spell it was double digits in less than 3 weeks.

Posts: 6365 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm…

Indeed.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Something smells wrong...

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I’d bet a steak dinner that’s not regular fentanyl.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It was probably weed.

It's always weed's fault...

(I know nothing about Fentanyl. Seem scary as hell.)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe his training officer was Alanzo Harris. Big Grin

[

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Whatever that was - not an expert - that's some scary stuff.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
Wow, thanks for this link !

As a nurse anesthetist, I have given fentanyl ( I.V.) to folks young and old since 1982.... I have never seen a reaction like that. My best guess is that the street drug is either much more potent than pharmaceutical fentanyl or else what everyone calls "fentanyl" is actually some sort of derivative ( maybe "carfentanyl" ?).

I am most certainly not a street drug expert. In 17 years drugs have never been something that I was interested in concentrating on working. Having said that, it’s my understanding that the fentanyl being seen on the street is entirely different than the fentanyl that is made by legitimate pharmaceutical interests. It was once explained to me that the smallest amount, a single grain if you will, of fentanyl that is able to be synthesized is a potential overdose. That is why pharmaceutical companies would take synthesized fentanyl and use rotary evaporators to deposit the drug on a larger substrate so as to further “dilute” the drug for lack of a better term. That was the only way to safely provide the drug. Seeing as most of the fentanyl comes from either stateside illicit production or overseas or Mexican super lab illicit production, it would be naive to think that those illicit producers are taking the same steps as a company like Pfizer or Merck to ensure the safety of their product.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeepers the Chinese commies didn’t need the Wuflu to cripple the world. One little whiff & it’s curtains.

Here Hunter, try this, great buzz!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did he poke a pinky into the bag and rub it on his gum like in the movies? Does anyone do that in reality? If he did, that might explain it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4720 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
We have had discussions on other cases of fentanyl contact overdoses on the forum in the past. One of the things that we rarely (or never) see is a lab report after the fact. The consensus being that many of the reported exposures are false alarms and overblow the actual risks.

https://www.rti.org/news/new-s...sk-fentanyl-overdose

quote:
Did is poke a pinky into the bag and rub it on his gum like in the movies? Does anyone do that in reality?

They haven't done that for a long time, and for this exact reason.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post