SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for affordable, safe overnight options in Greater Memphis, Kansas City, Denver areas…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for affordable, safe overnight options in Greater Memphis, Kansas City, Denver areas… Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
My son is getting out of the Air Force in a week and will be road-tripping home.

He will be driving from Warner Robins to Washington and the listed cities are the first three legs of his trip. I’m not familiar with these areas and was hoping the SF community could recommend clean decent hotel/motel chain locations in safe locations around theses areas with easy freeway access. Single night stays, arriving around 5-6pm and leaving 7-8am. Included breakfast is a bonus.

Thanks in advance!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10944 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
In regards to Memphis, I would stay in the Germantown area.

Posts: 11170 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I stayed at the Holiday Inn Denver/Lakewood in October.

No complaints.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We are Hilton Honors members and have always found their Hampton Inn to fit your bill including breakfast

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6324 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Agreed, or somewhere like that. Although I'm on the opposite end of the state from there, his car, possessions therein and even himself are not safe. Even the interstate highways (I-40 & 240) passing through it are shitty, in part because they were never completed as originally planned.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
We are Hilton Honors members and have always found their Hampton Inn to fit your bill including breakfast

Never had a bad experience at a Hampton Inn. They are our 1 or 2 night go to.
They usually are right off the highway and a place that should be plenty safe for just an overnight.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25429 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a great road trip for him!

Don't have much to add except it should be a great sight seeing tour and good luck. I love being on the open road. The peace and quiet of the road always gave me time to reflect and think.

Posts: 13130 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cusingeorge
posted Hide Post
Memphis: There are several good hotels at I-55 and Goodman Road just across the state line in Olive Branch, MS. I used to stay at the Drury Inn, they serve dinner and breakfast, although there are several good restaurants close by.

Kansas City: Also a Drury Inn at I-435 at Metcalf Road. Same as the Memphis hotel, also good restaurants nearby.

Both were good hotels and I never had an issue at either one.

My tongue swore, but my mind was still unpledged.

Posts: 2196 | Location: Calumet, Oklahoma  | Registered: August 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too recommend Olive Branch,MS instead of Memphis and that’s from 20 years ago.

Posts: 57 | Location: Southwest Florida  | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Greenwood village south of Denver has some reasonably priced accommodations.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we visit our daughter in KC MO we sometimes stay here in Overland Park KS. It's in a decent area, I'm sure any nearby (and cheaper) hotel would also be fine.

https://www.marriott.com/en-us...rland-park/overview/

cusingeroge recommended the Drury three posts above me, that's very close and likely cheaper.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agreed! Here is the link to the best hotel:

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Many hotel recommendations in this thread.

Steve Goodman traveled a lot, here's what he had to say:

This hotel room gotta lotta stuff
A laundry bag and a shoe shine cloth
Thirty two hangers and a touch tone phone
With a light that goes on when I ain't home

I ain't home
I ain't home
You better leave a message 'cause
I ain't home

They got an air conditioner for when I'm hot
A radiator for when I'm not
Two big chairs sittin' side by side
With a holy bible and a TV Guide

TV Guide
TV Guide
Great God Almighty
It's a TV Guide

They've gotta second story view from curb to curb
A sign that says "Please Don't Disturb"
A monogrammed towel and a bucket of ice
A chest of drawers and a mirror that lies

A mirror that lies
A mirror that lies
That can't be me
And it's a mirror that lies

They got a room service menu for food and drink
A porcelain throne and an aluminum sink
Two big pillows to rest my head
Magic Fingers on a king-size bed

Put in a quarter and
Turn out the light
Magic Fingers make ya feel alright

Feel alright
Feel alright
Magic Fingers make you feel alright

This hotel here's all right with me
And they pay the postage if you lose the key
This hotel room's gotta lot of stuff
But I do believe I've had enough

I called my baby said don't you pout
I'm packin' my bags and I'm checkin' out
Just as soon as you hang up at the telephone
Stick a candle in the window I'm comin' home

I'm comin' home
Comin' home
Stick a candle in the window
I'm comin' home

Whoa comin' home
Comin' home
Stick a candle in the window
I'm comin' home

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30696 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:

Or Collierville. There are a few decent options available. In either case, I know you'll be in a decent position if you stick with Poplar Ave addresses.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3354 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
Holiday in express Kansas city at the legends.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2181 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
When I worked for the State of TN I had to make plenty of trip to Memphis. I have an aunt that has lived in Bartlett most of her adult life. I stayed at the Germantown Rd or Barlett exit. Don’t go do tourist stuff without protection. I went to the mall in that area a few times but only armed. I wouldn’t take my family anywhere else around Memphis. When my wife was to be sworn in as a citizen, they held it at the jankiest library in the heart of low income Memphis. Wouldn’t have been there if we didn’t have to be there. Kansas City, you’re on your own. Last few times I went through there for shooting competitions, I would have been very nervous if we didn’t have a van full of the most accurate rifles made and 6 world class shooters inside.

Posts: 6016 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the info!

Not really a sightseeing trip for him, just getting point “A” to point “B”. He is rolling solo and longest drive for him to date is the 4 hour round trip from Warner Robins to ATL on occasion. Total is about 2800 miles, planning on a relaxed pace of 7-8 hours drive time and only 450-600 miles a day with a short home stretch of 300 miles or so. Six day trip unless there are complications.

I’ve forwarded the info to him with targets of Olive Branch MS, Overland Park KS, Fort Collins CO, Ogden UT, and Pendleton OR overnight destinations. He will be carrying minimal belongings and unloading car at night so nothing left to attract miscreants.

If all goes according to plan he will hit the road on the 25th and be home on the 30th. Hopefully late enough in the season that weather won’t be an issue, but he is flexible enough to wait anything out or just take a day off to rest if needed.

Can’t wait for him to be home.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10944 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m just slightly picky about where I park for the night traveling. It’s usually out a bit from any larger urban areas, then under a light in the parking lot.

All else being equal, thieves would prefer an out of State plate.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kansas City: Also a Drury Inn at I-435 at Metcalf Road. Same as the Memphis hotel, also good restaurants nearby.

Any of the Drury Inn properties are nice places to stay. They are NOT franchise hotels and the company sets a high standard for cleanliness and service. Plus they have a free happy hour in the evening, each adult in the room gets three free drinks!

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In regards to Memphis. Lock your doors and don’t stop.

Posts: 93 | Registered: December 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post