SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mixed tire sizes on truck
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mixed tire sizes on truck Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
I hit a deer last summer with my truck. I was able to get state farm to replace one of the tires since the bumper was pushed into it and chewed it up a little.

I've had the truck back for 2 months now and I just realized they put the wrong size tire on it.

The truck came from the factory with 265/60 R20. The sticker in the door calls for this size. The tire they put on was a 275/60 (or 65, can't remember) R20.

Is this going to cause any issues like weird tread wear?

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your truck is 2-wheel drive and the different sized tires are on the front you should be alright until they need replacing. If the sizes are different on the drive axle or the front axle on a 4-wheel drive, though, that could cause some issues the longer they stay on - especially if you have a limited slip differential.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
if it's a 275/60 I'd agree with marksman41 in his post.

If it's a 275/65, I'd swap it out now as that is a much larger tire and could lead to pulling (would feel like an alignment issue)

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Is there a reason not to take it back and have the correct size tire installed?

Posts: 10816 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
If your truck is 2-wheel drive and the different sized tires are on the front you should be alright until they need replacing. If the sizes are different on the drive axle or the front axle on a 4-wheel drive, though, that could cause some issues the longer they stay on - especially if you have a limited slip differential.

It's a 4x4.

Do they still put limited slip diff on newer trucks with traction control?

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Is there a reason not to take it back and have the correct size tire installed?

I doubt they will do anything. But I may be able to get state farm in the fight.

I'll call the body shop first to give them a chance to make it right.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:

It's a 4x4.

Do they still put limited slip diff on newer trucks with traction control?

What Truck (Year, Make, Model) are we talking about here? Without that info we're all just guessing...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8784 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
So this is one different tire on the front axel, other 3 all the same? If so, yes it would bother me, should be the same.

I have a 4x4 truck, right now the front & rear tires are a little different with sizing. On the same axel, they are the same. I’m transitioning to a slightly taller tire. I never use the selectable 4 wheel drive unless I have plenty of slip on the trail, off pavement.

In my case I never rotate where I have different sizes on the same axel. I’ve been like this for 10’s of thousands of miles. Before long I’ll be back to the same 4 size tires again. I have not experienced any problems.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I doubt they will do anything.

If they installed a different size tire then what is called for on the door sticker, they should make it right.

The only way I'd except it, is if the other tires happened to all be the same *new* size. Which doesn't happen to be the case here.

This *is* assuming the other tires are the correct size for the given vehicle.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
I doubt they will do anything. But I may be able to get state farm in the fight.

I give State Farm a call first.

My understanding is if you use the State Farm approved shop, State Farm guarantees the repairs for as long as you own the vehicle. At least that’s what the told me in writing when I had my truck repaired 6 years ago.

Posts: 10816 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All 4 tires should be the same. But they do not have to be what is shown on the door label.

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Different size tires on a vehicle with 4x4 can damage components especially with limited slip or locking differentials. Trying to turn different sizes tires at the same speed is a recipe for breakage.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15499 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
State Farm should absolutely make it right if you used a shop they recommended. Just email your agent you just noticed they put on the wrong size tire and you are concerned about wear and tear on your vehicle and also about potential handling problems that can lead to an accident. The complaint will be in writing which puts the potential liability on them and their shop. They will make it right.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
If you can't get the oddball swapped out, put it on the rear. Having mismatch there should be less (not zero) impact on your 4wd. Any wear/damage to the drive line should also be cheaper on the rear end than the front end.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
If you can't get the oddball swapped out, put it on the rear. Having mismatch there should be less (not zero) impact on your 4wd. Any wear/damage to the drive line should also be cheaper on the rear end than the front end.

??? The front hubs on my truck freewheel unless I’m in 4wd. With the mismatch on the front axle, it will have zero impact when the front hubs are freewheeling. There won’t be much of and issue when running in 4wd either, since 4wd should only be used in slippery conditions. My truck binds in 4wd when turning even on dry grass and dirt.

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
If they blank you, switch it for the spare.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
...snip...

??? The front hubs on my truck freewheel unless I’m in 4wd. With the mismatch on the front axle, it will have zero impact when the front hubs are freewheeling. There won’t be much of and issue when running in 4wd either, since 4wd should only be used in slippery conditions. My truck binds in 4wd when turning even on dry grass and dirt.

All correct statements. However, if one were to need to use 4WD with an oddball tire, it would still be my suggestion that the odd one be in the rear.

Most who use 4WD don't necessarily do so correctly, why add "extra" impacts to an already poor usage?

Binding would be increased when turning with mismatched tires.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Putting it on the rear means “extra impacts” 100% of the time the vehicle is being used. I could be wrong, but I don’t believe there is a scenario where putting the mismatched tire on the front will be worse than putting it on the rear on a 4wd truck in terms of “extra impacts”.

My truck is undrivable in 4wd on dry pavement. You’d have to be really incompetent to not realize this even if you didn’t read the manual.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Happened to me once quite by accident and I discovered the truck was pulling to the right and if I let go of the wheel, it would drift that way.

Smaller size on the right side.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Putting it on the rear means “extra impacts” 100% of the time the vehicle is being used. I could be wrong, but I don’t believe there is a scenario where putting the mismatched tire on the front will be worse than putting it on the rear on a 4wd truck in terms of “extra impacts”.

My truck is undrivable in 4wd on dry pavement. You’d have to be really incompetent to not realize this even if you didn’t read the manual.

With a limited slip rear end (most are) there shouldn't be wear due to different circumference tires. Not unlike going around a corner, rear end will slip to allow for different wheel speeds. So, if not in 4WD it shouldn't add much, if any, extra wear.

The front end is weaker by design and adding extra stress to that system will potentially cause more expensive repairs.

At the end of the day, I not championing to not fix the issue properly. I am suggesting limiting possible damage until the situation is properly addressed. If your experience is different, that's fine. You do you boo. Wink Big Grin