SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HPDE's - Does Anybody Else Race?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HPDE's - Does Anybody Else Race? Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted
I am going to my 2nd HPDE (High performance driver education) and was wondering if anybody on here does these. We are doing a 2 day event at VIR with the BMWCCA Tarheel group. I look forward to shaming a few bimmers with my 21 year old Japanese super car.

What car do you drive and which tracks do you go to?

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Used to do a lot of Autocross in a stock '96 Saturn SL2. Was a ton of fun sticking it to kids in nicer cars with it.
Did a few runs the in the '97 Civic EX I had after that & haven't done any in a few years.

Want to pick up a NB Miata to get back into Autocross & maybe a bit of HPD at the local tracks: MSR Houston & Texas World Speedway.
Otherwise, may think about buying a kart & racing that way. We have 3-4 kart tracks in Houston as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I did these with Nasa and Chin Motorsports here in South Florida. I ran a modified S2000 (KW V3 Shocks & Struts, bigger tires (not R Compound), Comptech Supercharger, bigger front anti-sway bar).

Lots of fun, some of the best people you can meet. I do my own work and prep. I would swap my pads at the track, you can likely get away with some Autocross pads at the beginning. Flush and fill your brake fluid frequently with high-temp fluid (high temp will retain more moisture so it is not a long-term fill).

The instructors are great - don't treat as a race, treat it as driving instruction to drive faster, brake harder, turn quicker, etc. It is a blast and everyone helps out.

I took the S2000 off the track and have it as a fast road car now - had neck surgery then multiple shoulder surgeries that forced me away from this for a while. When I go back will be with a roll cage, HANs device and I'll probably build up a Miata for that...I know slow but they are fun on the track too Wink

Have fun!

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I used to do quite a bit of auto crossing and a few open track days. I learned a very important lesson, never go to the track with a car on Sunday that you have to drive to work on Monday.

I still think the funnest auto cross I ran was right after moving to Phoenix. The Porsche club would run autocross events but only open to Porche drivers. They invited those of us from the local SCCA club for an event. 15 of us entered, the highest finishing Porsche driver was 16th. They were not amused that Mustangs, Camaros, Miatas and Corvettes were putting up faster times than their Porsches.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
I did these with Nasa and Chin Motorsports here in South Florida. I ran a modified S2000 (KW V3 Shocks & Struts, bigger tires (not R Compound), Comptech Supercharger, bigger front anti-sway bar).

Lots of fun, some of the best people you can meet. I do my own work and prep. I would swap my pads at the track, you can likely get away with some Autocross pads at the beginning. Flush and fill your brake fluid frequently with high-temp fluid (high temp will retain more moisture so it is not a long-term fill).

The instructors are great - don't treat as a race, treat it as driving instruction to drive faster, brake harder, turn quicker, etc. It is a blast and everyone helps out.

I took the S2000 off the track and have it as a fast road car now - had neck surgery then multiple shoulder surgeries that forced me away from this for a while. When I go back will be with a roll cage, HANs device and I'll probably build up a Miata for that...I know slow but they are fun on the track too Wink

Have fun!

IMO EVERYONE at any level should use a HANS device.

I used to do a lot of DE events in my last mini cooper. I havent gone in years because I am just too busy with work. I do set up a lot of HDPE cars though (suspension, alignment, etc)

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:

IMO EVERYONE at any level should use a HANS device.

Agree with you 100%. When I was running almost no one used it for HPDE, but that was changing when I took a pause. It is one of the reasons I still have not been back out - with kids, etc. I'm a lot more aware and won't run without a cage and HANS. My safety requirements have gone up. Fun sport, but be safe.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Used to do it a lot back in the '00s with my Sentra SE-R. Ran it in SCCA Street Modified, early on. Did track days at Pocono (road course, using NASCAR turn 1), Texas World Speedway, etc.

I miss it terribly.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Love it! Saw the title and thought what does High Density PolyEthelene (sp?) have to do w/ racing. I haven't, but reading your thread, it sounds like fun.

Posts: 6917 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Used to, until I put a bike on the track. 10X more fun.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I did 4+ years of non-competitive road racing. It was my mid-life crisis. Bought a Cadillac CTS-V and put a bunch of money into it to improve road racing and power and spend 4 plus years hauling it to some of my favorite tracks. Road Atlanta, Road America, COTA, Gingerman, Mid-Ohio, Watkins-Glenn, National Corvette Museum Road Course. It ran over 600HP and TQ at the rear wheels. It was a complete blast to drive. Pissed off a lot of supercar guys Smile Raced motorcycles in the woods before that with a couple chances at motorcycle road racing. Clearly I didn't have the balls for motorcycle road racing!!!!!

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
I attended a Skip Barber class at Road America in a 97 Porsche 911.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, my biggest hobby. Guns are a distant second.

Moved to Texas recently & still trying to get used to COTA. Really love Mid-Ohio (Madness & Thunder Valley are some of my favorite sections on any track), but COTA does have a first rate facility.

Currently tracking a 911S. Recently retired an Exige S.

Posts: 880 | Registered: October 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post