SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I bet none of you have accomplished a vehicular accident like this.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I bet none of you have accomplished a vehicular accident like this. Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
While out on my Gravely zero turn cutting the yard today, I ran out of the end of my yard, down the street in front of the house, and into the other end of the yard. While doing this, a neighbor's wife came around the corner in her car, and as a result of attempting to drive and text, ran smack into the back of my mower. To say I was a bit caught off guard is an understatement. I ended up with a dent in the corner of my motor cover while her white Mercedes got a nice orange scratch and crease in the driver's side front fender. She's a sweet lady and apologized to me maybe ten times while also offering to pay for any damage to the mower (there won't be any repairs given its just a baseball sized dent in the motor cover).

I'm glad no one was hurt and the damage was minimal, but I hope the experience causes her to put the cellphone down while driving.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good thing you was on a tough built mower or things could have turned out ugly.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Glad you’re okay bro. That could have been much worse.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Yeah, I'm glad you weren't hurt. I hope that she learns a lesson, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I had a woman almost hit my bus the last week of school, she was finger fucking her phone. As I was in the middle of a two point turnaround, as I pass her. She's back to finger fucking her phone again. Some people never learn. I hope she does.

And again, glad that you are not hurt.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm glad no one was hurt and the damage was minimal, but I hope the experience causes her to put the cellphone down while driving.

This has been a pet peeve of mine for years!

See it all the time in traffic around here!

Swarms of cars on the highways (especially Rt. 234) with 55 MPH speed limits doing 70+, bumper to bumper, focused on their damned smart phones!

I expect to see a massive pile up of vehicles one of these days. And traffic on I95 does not seem to be much better, either.

Some of these idiots tail gate others so closely that if they have to do a full on brake application to avoid the collision, they will pile up.

I have done some impromptu "rescue" work at accident sites over the years where people have died because of their refusal to understand/apply the laws of physics.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Did she come up into your yard to hit you, or were you in the street?

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Parking in downtown (dahntahn if you are local) Pittsburgh is becoming an ever increasing cluster so I started to take the bus to work. Cheaper, less stress and only a 10 minute difference. I enjoy watching the scenery so the ride is my quiet time. Once in a while I conduct a decidedly non scientific observation: How many drivers have a cell phone in their hand? The answer has approached 25% on a 12 mile ride. It seems the new normal is a cell in one hand and the steering wheel in the other. PA has laws on the books, maybe time to enforce. One wonders how many accidents and injuries can be directly attributed to distracted driving?

For the record, I have a cell, it stays in my pocket or in the charging cradle. I don't need to talk or text with anyone while driving.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adding a twist to the discussion (if I may) - so how does it go when they are driving, texting and now buzzed because pot has become legalized?

It is bad enough when there is alcohol involved. For those living in states where it is already legal, any noticeable increase in impaired driving?

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
slower drivers need to be moving to the right Wink

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
My mother was driving through a construction zone in a residential part of town a few years back. They were essentially using the turn lane and travel lane for two way traffic while they tore out and replaced the other travel lane. Because there were houses on that side, the construction company had temporarily relocated their mailboxes to construction sign holders sitting among the cones/barrels so that the mailman could do his job.

As she's going through a large truck is coming from the opposite direction and partially in the lane she is traveling in. Everybody in her lane is moving right as far as they can so that everybody clears. She does the same and hits one of these mailboxes with her mirror.

I'm assuming the initial strike broke the box mostly free, because as that spring loaded sign holder snapped back up into position it launched the mailbox......

Right into the back of a guy out cutting his grass. Luckily he wasn't hurt.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Nope.......as long as you are not wearing a garage door and positioned behind Mrs DFs car, you're safe. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing mower related for me.
However:
Those of you who grew up on farms may recall the Ford 8N Tractor. Great little tractor. I spent much of my HS days assisting my BFF with his parents small dairy farm. I was riding on the tailgate of a pickup and my friend was driving the 8N behind us. A bumblebee went down his shirt and in the process of ejecting it, he fell off the tractor and managed to get run over by the rear wheel. Amazing to watch! I had to chase the tractor to shut it down. I expected to find him dead. Nope, just sore and road rashed.
Farming is dangerous!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
Did she come up into your yard to hit you, or were you in the street?

Bob
I was turning out of the street and entering the yard when the collision occurred, so technically it occurred in the street.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Maybe, but how many members have been rear ended by a schizophrenic doing about 80 mph because of a delusion that he needed to drive from near the Pentagon to Fairfax Circle (near George Mason University, a distance of about 25 miles) in order to stop a nuclear war? And to top it off, the schizophrenic's break with reality was caused by Norman Mayer, nuclear disarmament activist and all-round nut job, taking the Washington Monument hostage, which ended when two Park Police SWAT officers I knew shot Mayer to prevent him from becoming a rolling VBIED in downtown D.C.!!

I also saw an accident involving a car and one of the Presidential Salute Battery, 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) towed 105-mm M5 anti-tank cannons on its M6 howitzer carriage. Yes, a woman managed to miss the deuce and a half and hit the towed cannon behind it. I've always wondered how she explained that to her insurance carrier.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I once ran/slid my Turf Tiger backwards off a retaining wall.

The wall was only about 18” high at that spot, so I was basically sitting at a 30 degree “launch angle” for a minute, but the pucker factor was high!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I would have told her 300 hundred should take care of it!!!!

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Every time I cut the front part of the property and have to get on pavement, I check the road. Constantly and every 5 seconds or so. Head on the proverbial swivel. Glad you weren’t hurt; car vs. riding mower is not where I want to be.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry it happened, bigdeal but at least it wasn't a big deal.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post