SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SIGforum chefs -- school me on grilling swordfish filets pls...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIGforum chefs -- school me on grilling swordfish filets pls... Login/Join 
posted
any tips you recommend? will be preparing some small filets I bought at the store w/ a few steaks tonight.

any advice will be appreciated --

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not the best swordfish I ever had was cooked by my brother on a cast iron pan & Coleman propane camping grill while we were camping in the dunes at Oregon Inlet (Outer Banks North Carolina).

I’ll have to ask him today for the recipe. I believe he just hit it with some Montreal steak seasoning and olive oil but I’m not 100% sure.

Swordfish is delicious. Good luck with your fillets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21121 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Butter and garlic.....fry it in a pan or bake it in the oven...can’t go wrong

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I may be dumbing this down but if you're asking for tips instead of recipes...

1. Heat up the pan.
2. Add oil to a HOT pan.
3. Reduce heat on the pan to medium and let the fish sizzle until golden brown, probably gonna be 3 minutes per side unless small filets.
*Too hot of a pan causes Albumin (common white stuff when cooking salmon) and is a sign your pan is too hot.
4. Add butter and aromatics and baste for about 60 seconds more depending on size of filet.

If you just want a recipe ignore my post Smile

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6337 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No matter how you cook it use a thermometer to 145 or you will overcook it and it will be tough and have no flavor.

This time of year I do all my fish in the air fryer.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Don't overcook it. Lots of fish is ruined by overcooking.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Allow fish to warm up to room temp before cooking. It will depend less time in the pan trying to get the center to temp.

Pat the filet dry. Can't get a good sear on anything wet.

Cast iron pan. Need the thickness and density of the pan to carry the cooking temperature through the sear. A lightweight pan cools off too quickly.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
I always would marinade swordfish in Italian dressing and then grill until 145F internal temp.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks gents -- i'll take any tips ya got

i'm grilling some small steaks also in case i mess the fish up Smile

-----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Hungry!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38702 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post