SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NRA Annual Meeting- Houston - any recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NRA Annual Meeting- Houston - any recommendations? Login/Join 
posted
All-
I got a mailer from the NRA yesterday about the annual meeting in Houston. I am local in Houston and so thinking about going. I have never been, so I’m Not sure what to expect. I would most likely be able to go only on Friday. Can those of you who have gone give me some idea of what to expect or be sure to see?

Also I know there are a few other women here… has anybody gone to the women’s event? It’s got a steep $250 admission so not sure that would be on the list unless it was something stellar.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Liz

Posts: 504 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've only been to one, the one that was in Phoenix a number of years ago.

Tons of exhibits, lots of stuff you can buy or fondle or play with.

Mrs. Flash bought a couple of fanny packs at the Phoenix one and enjoyed it immensely. She wasn't interested in the women's event, though.

I'd go to it if I were you, for the experience if nothing else.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Flash-LB! That’s super helpful to hear.

Posts: 504 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping it won't be disappointing due to all the recent shit with Covid, Lapierre and the negatives that go with it.
I imagine it will be trimmed down vs all the great past events.
Normally the best time of the year at the event that I immensely enjoy.
I'm hoping for the best.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm preregistered.

I went to the one in Dallas in 2018 and enjoyed myself even though it was a lot of walking at the tail end of a bout with plantar fasicitis.

I remember the S&W booth had the 380EZ before being released for sale. I got to see how easy the slide racked and how easy the magazine follower moved. Made a mental note and later bought one to teach women to shoot.

Even though it was Texas, I do remember the damn news giving more air time to 2 dozen protestors than thousands of law abiding citizens.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I just preregistered. I will remember the comfy walking shoes!

posted Hide Post
I became a life member in about 1964. I have been to several since then the most recent being St. Louis several years ago. There has always been a lot to see, a lot of literature/catalogs guns, optics and interesting people. Whenever it is close enough to not have a lot of time and travel expense I would certainly recommend attending. It may never be closer to you than it is this year.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Definitely worth going, so much to see and do. Lots of little freebies to pick up.

Go since it is in HTown

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wear comfortable shoes and take a backpack. There should be plenty to pick up and buy, with as much walking as you want. I'll miss this year but I'll be back at next year's show.

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the encouragement to go. Also thanks for the heads up on the backpack. I would not have thought to bring one. Good to know it’s allowed.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I went last time it was in Houston.
Lots of walking & a heavy swag bag at the end.

A few of us met up for dinner after.

Will have to check the dates & see if I can make this one too.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I went to one in PDX about 30 years ago, and the Seattle version in 97. Good information & introduction to all kinds of new products, news, a bit of various current political intrigue both internal & national, & lots of walking.

I'd encourage anyone who hasn't been at least once, to "go look & see".

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
There's an exhibitor list if you're curious who will have booths.

https://s15.a2zinc.net/clients...ibitors.aspx?ID=3983

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks for that exhibitor list. I see now why the comfy shoes. That’s a lot of vendors!

Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
It's worth going to if it's in your city or close to it, if you can find the time.
Lot's of new product intro's and things to look at and hold in hand.
It' so big that you likely couldn't see everything in one day if you spend any amount of time at too many booths or displays. I only went for one day and didn't attend any special events, and felt a bit rushed at that. But I did meet R. Lee Ermey at the Glock booth, so that was fun.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 579 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
I've been to a number of them.

You mentioned that you are going on Friday. Usually that is the least crowded day to go.

Saturday is by far the most crowded day.

Posts: 3201 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I went when it was in Atlanta and loved it. Saw Trump speak which was awesome but also just walking around in the exhibition for is fantastic. So many things to see, I highly recommend.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C L Wilkins:
I've been to a number of them.

You mentioned that you are going on Friday. Usually that is the least crowded day to go.

Saturday is by far the most crowded day.

I have and always went all three days, can't get too much of a good thing. Smile

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post