SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Moving to Fl need pellet gun to kill cane toads before my dog eats one and dies
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving to Fl need pellet gun to kill cane toads before my dog eats one and dies Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
They got em in Tampa, my bro has clobbered a few. He was using his suppressed Walther p22 and the bullet went thur it’s head and into a sprinkler…he was fuming mad, as he’s crippled and couldn’t fix it himself..so he quit shooting g them and spikes them with a sharpened nail on a broomstick.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live just west of Daytona and have never seen one around here. I’ve been here most all of my 54 years. No need to worry about Iguanas, either. But I strongly suggest the BB gun anyway, they are too much fun to not have one.

Posts: 33 | Location: Central FL | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate those fuckers. I live in Miami Beach and we have these cane toads - also called buffo toads - in our backyard and around the neighborhood. We have two some kind of terrier mix dogs and one of them got ahold of a toad. He came back into the house and 10 minutes later was foaming and convulsing. I had no idea. Raced him to the vet, receptionist took one look and said "toad tox." Took him in the back treated him with something (this was about four years ago) and observed him for a while. He was fine. But did he learn his lesson? NO! Couple weeks later he got hold of another one but the vet had told me what to do. The toxin get absorbed by the dog's gums which turn blue or purple. She told me to hold his stupid head under the running sink faucet to flush his mouth while rubbing my finger along his gums to flush the toxin out. Did that and he was immediately fine. Maybe that time it did sink in, no incidents since. You can walk right up to these toads and they don't run (hop?) away so when I see one in our yard I kill it with a knife. But the Beeman pellet pistol looks like more fun so I just ordered one!

Posts: 551 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Don’t kill my buzz joel! I basically have the wife convinced I need one.

Mum's the word. My word as a SIGforum member, she'll never know any differently from me! Smile

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I have a Gamo Whisper .22 for iguanas and toads. Break barrel and the larger round placed right stops the big iguanas and no issue for the toads. Just pay attention so you are shooting down and what is beyond the target.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fldigger:
I live just west of Daytona and have never seen one around here. I’ve been here most all of my 54 years. No need to worry about Iguanas, either. But I strongly suggest the BB gun anyway, they are too much fun to not have one.

Agreed, I live just north of World Golf Village and work in Daytona.

There won’t be anything unusual where the OP is landing.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't try to face one down with anything less than a Crosman DPMS SBR Full-Auto BB Air Rifle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15901 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I read a Carl Hiassen novel many years ago where one of the subplots was a character that licked toad secretions to get high. Maybe your dog read the same book?

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
What a great name for a minor league ball club. "The Yee Haw Junction Toad Lickers". We'd never have to play a game. We'd make tons of money on t-shirts alone.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12783 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

If it is legal to discharge a firearm where you intend to dispatch these cane toads, a .22 bolt gun will let you shoot .22 short CB rounds. More power than a common air rifle, plenty accurate, and quieter than most pellet rifles.
I have a nice Ruger GP-100 that will fire .22 LR, .22 Long, or .22 Short. Something like that might be a good alternative to a pellet gun.

But illegal in virtually all FL cities.

Get a long range water gun (like a super soaker) and fill it with sudsy ammonia. All you have to do is hit the toad anywhere with ammonia and they absorb it through their skin and die......

I also have a Gamo whisper .177 pellet rifle that does a good job on most things like Iguana's and rats and so forth.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

It sounds like the cane toad may be a relative of the large Bufo toads we have here. They are dangerous to curious dogs who might put one in their mouth, due to the toad's poisonous secretions on its skin. They come out especially this time of year, the so-called monsoon season here in AZ.

We used to shoot them with shot shells. Then my wife discovered that ammonia will kill them, slowly. Just pour some ammonia on them, and the dogs won't go near them, and the next day you can toss the dead toad away.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I read a Carl Hiassen novel many years ago where one of the subplots was a character that licked toad secretions to get high. Maybe your dog read the same book?

Toad licking. My last job was at a company that contracted running the National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information, for HHS. We maintained a large database of substance abuse articles. Occasionally we (tech) would get a report that the database was "broken". The first test was to see if you could connect to it, and it returned records from a simple query. You want a query that returns a very few records only, because this is just a quick test to see if the database is the problem or something else, like network issues. I learned from my predecessor that the query to use was "toad licking", which returned only two records. I learned that toad licking was popular in CA (where else) in the 1980s, because the secretions supposedly gave one a high like LSD.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Never had a dog die...they learn after the first time. A corgi isn't small enough to die from it in my opinion. And I hate to sounds pessimistic but unless you follow your dog around the yard you'll never get rid of all of them.

Better to let the dog learn to be honest. They aren't ad bad as people point out, if they were there would be piles of dead dogs lining Florida streets.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6325 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But if that’s the case I have no excuse to buy a pellet gun.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’ve been thinking about a pellet pistol as well for nuisance animal control. Just ordered a Browning Buckmark URX break action single shot .177 pellet pistol from Amazon as I wanted something more discreet and quieter than my Gamo pellet rifle.

$45, a little lower velocity (320 FPS) but gets good reviews. Covered by Prime so if doesn’t work, can return.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007K7IG1G

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10945 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
But if that’s the case I have no excuse to buy a pellet gun.

Lol fair enough, you would not have liked my suggestion of a nail okf the end of a stick.

"Hollywood quiet" as they say Smile

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6325 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
I use a Benjamin Nitro Piston, in .177, to protect my vegetable garden from rabbits and woodchucks.
Destroyer load by Crossman is a real stopper.
Most shot under 10 yds.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

Toad licking. My last job was at a company that contracted running the National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information, for HHS. We maintained a large database of substance abuse articles. Occasionally we (tech) would get a report that the database was "broken". The first test was to see if you could connect to it, and it returned records from a simple query. You want a query that returns a very few records only, because this is just a quick test to see if the database is the problem or something else, like network issues. I learned from my predecessor that the query to use was "toad licking", which returned only two records. I learned that toad licking was popular in CA (where else) in the 1980s, because the secretions supposedly gave one a high like LSD.

I read those same books, didn't he skin the toads and smoke the dried skins? It's been awhile since I've read any Hiassen.

I also use a Gamo whisper for dispatching various vermin around the yard although my suppressed ruger MK IV is quite effective and very quiet. Maybe you should petition the wife for a suppressor and host!?

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
I have a Gamo Whisper .22 for iguanas and toads. Break barrel and the larger round placed right stops the big iguanas and no issue for the toads. Just pay attention so you are shooting down and what is beyond the target.

Was idling down a residential canal in Islamorada and had a pellet whiz past my head. Don't know how close you have to be to a pellet to hear it, will you do that research for me?

Posts: 7460 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Was it this lady?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kktavXwEag

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15901 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post