SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Removing a toe
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing a toe Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Years ago I slammed my bare foot into a heavy object and bent the toe next to big toe all out of shape. Pain was excruciating but gradually diminished. As a result toe rides on top of big toe and walking no problem but in recent months pain has been increasing. X-rays show cartilage damage only but short of inserting a rod to straighten toe the only recommendations have been silicone toe separators. Helps but pain still there and worsening.

Recent consultation with another podiatrist ended with a recommendation to remove it. He says it won't have adverse affect on walking.

Anyone have this done? Any adverse consequences? Phantom pain? I'd leave things alone but the pain even when sitting is not something I want to deal with via pills.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1500 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have not seen the actual procedure done.
But whilst
Selling shoes in L.A.
It wasn't uncommon to see one lady a month with floppy toe.

They did as a vanity sacrifice so that they could jamb their feet into $450.00 pumps.

Most had the bones removed .
Only saw one with the whole toe completely removed.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55210 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've hobbled down this road since 1981 and a late slide into 3rd base resulted in a compound fracture and the stretched torn ligaments that go along with it. 11 days in the hospital, Called it a Cesar Cedeno fracture.

Hammertoes were my nemesis and I've had a couple semi successful surgeries but 25 years after the injury I was still searching for relief - and then I got broadband Smile

Found an orthopedic surgeon in Louisville who was a major overachiever and one of the few surgeons doing replacement ankles. I cold called and got an appt about 6 months out.

Dr. George Quill is the doc and we hit it right off. Says no way I could get a new ankle - break was too bad and threw my alignment off.

I said "well it was worth a try. I was hoping to get some relief from these toes"

He says "Toes - you were talking about ankles, let me see those toes"

He looked at my toes and says I can fix that. my 2nd and 3rd toe hammertoed bad so he cut a V notch out of the top of each toe and then put a stainless pin through the tips so the V was bent back and the toe straightened. Worked like a charm! Smile

Go back to Dr Quill about 3 years later due to tendon on my little toe causing it to hammertoe resulting in chronic ingrown toenail. I said Doc if I could reach it I'd slice it off with my filet knife.

He looks and says yep but I'll use a scalpel. He's an artist too and took the leftover flap of skin and made a fair substitute toe. Looks good from a trotting horse at 30' and, again, Dr Quill solved my problem and I've never missed the toe nor the pain. Smile

Good Luck!

Posts: 4828 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
No help but good luck with it buddy. If you need a hand with anything around the house you have my contact info.

I do have a friend you might be able to talk to he's had toes removed but for different reasons.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I thought you need toes for balance?

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Maybe a visit to an Orthopedic Surgeon is advised?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7293 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I know a guy that lost a thumb and they used one of his big toes to replace the thumb. It works so he can grasp, doesn’t look strange and he walks fine.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5725 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^
Diabetics often have toes removed. Specially made shoes and PT helps with balance.

Posts: 17530 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

I think this is one toe vs. toes. Shouldn't be a problem.

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
In 2018 I had the first joint in my left big toe replaced due to an injury and resulting arthritis. The orthopedic surgeon made a vertical 3" cut along the top of the toe and foot, cleaned out the mess, then screwed a cobalt chrome metal dome into the foot side of the gap. The toe bone got something that slides across the dome face so the toe has natural movement again. Recovery was a bit painful for a couple of weeks, but I now have full range of motion without any pain. I did end up with a very slight twist of the big toe, but it has no impact to walking or running.

Keep in mind that foot surgeries tend to swell up, so they pack the packing pretty tight across the top of the foot to prevent that. It will be pretty painful when they remove it the first time and then repack it for the second round. Thankfully I didn't need a third, but I did end up with a left foot that is now wider than my right. A small price to pay for the pain relief and mobility.

Logistically, I was on a knee-roller for a long time (9-10 weeks, IIRC). There are a number of inexpensive ones out there that will cause problems for you when the small plastic wheels hit a crack, gravel, dirt or uneven ground. A friend advised me to out of pocket for one with pneumatic tires which made transits easier, faster and safer.

Don't know if any of this information pertains to your situation, but feel free to email me with questions if you like.

BTW, the technical term for the surgery is Arthrosurface Hemi-cap MPJ Arthroplasty (Metatarsal Head Resurfacing Inplant)

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2569 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a nasty looking toenail completely removed from my big toe recently. Was told I don't need it. That came as a surprise. I guess you don't need the toe, either.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adverse consequences?

Well, if you need to count to 20, you now have to take your pants off. Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8548 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’d get a second and third or maybe fourth opinion before permanently removing a part of myself. If the majority of doctors seem to be at a consensus then at least your mind is at ease.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Have to chuckle a bit not at your expense thou. My father n law had circulation problems and they removed his big toe. He did fine without it but we used to call him Chief Nine Toes.

Posts: 2344 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a result toe rides on top of big toe and walking no problem but in recent months pain has been increasing. X-rays show cartilage damage only but short of inserting a rod to straighten toe

I would find a good foot doctor and probably do the surgery to repair it. I'd rather have a metal rod than have it cut off.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Use the Gallagher procedure.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My wife lost her left little toe when her horse stepped on it. This was long before I met her, when she was in her teens.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Removing it altogether seems awfully drastic.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I had a severe hammer toe on the toe next to my big toe for years. Eventually, the tip rubbed till there was an open wound that would take months to heal and then come back in weeks.

Being diabetic was a problem as it could eventually lead to more severe issues with infection etc. I had it removed just before the first knuckle. The only issue I've had is putting on socks they almost always get caught up in that missing area. Or pulling on pants and the jeans get stuck on the big toe.

It has had no effect on my walking or balance. There is always a concern that other toes can drift leading to other problems but after 3+ years there has been no issue with that.

The procedure took about 45 minutes and I was walking on it to leave the surgical office. Took about a week to fully heal but again, I'm diabetic, someone with better circulation may heal quicker.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4883 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I know a guy that lost a thumb and they used one of his big toes to replace the thumb. It works so he can grasp, doesn’t look strange and he walks fine.

Must be a common procedure. I just met an older gentlemen at a gun range who had the same procedure done, apparently after a table saw accident. Seems to have worked pretty good.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post