SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else seeing serious shipping/delivery delays?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else seeing serious shipping/delivery delays? Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Anything from the northeast states and California area seem especially bad right now with the USPS.

Posts: 9441 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We order from Amazon on a regular basis. In the last month, Prime has been about a week. The estimated delivery dates are usually a day or two before we actually get our stuff. This is a combination of slow shipping, delays in transit and turning a UPS package over to the USPS.

I needed a $10 cable on Thursday and ordered it on Monday AM. Got it Saturday after lunch.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4210 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The neighbor lady side swiped a cable highway barrier and wrecked the whole side of her mini van, I mean trashed it.

That was 7 weeks ago. The are waiting in three parts for seven weeks.

That's a long time to be paying for a rental car.
The auto body shop has insurance for such cases and it will pay for it.
Except $15.00 per day.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54484 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I ordered a watch from Singapore, took 2 days to get to Atlanta, and it took 6 days to get to my po box 10 miles from the airport.

Posts: 3552 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
With the exception of the Ford Explorer ST we ordered in May, no delays yet. I have noticed products that used to be available immediately are listed as being available in a few weeks.

Posts: 10797 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
quote:

Parts Shortage Stalls US Auto Repair Business

A parts shortage spurred by a supply-chain slowdown is stalling the U.S. auto repair business, according to Bloomberg.

The shortage is delaying auto parts, such as oil filters and carpeting, causing mechanics to wait weeks rather than days to finish routine maintenance. The crisis has been exacerbated by an international semiconductor shortage, which shrank the supply of new cars and raised the demand for used cars as well as mechanical upkeep on old cars.

President Joe Biden has moved to mitigate a supply-chain disaster as Christmas nears, pressuring the shipping industry and labor unions to work around the clock to relieve bottlenecks. Some retailers have expressed skepticism, though, that any political intervention will prevent a crisis and have suggested that the problem will stretch into next year.

"There's no political intervention that’s going to get this done, and there may not be a human intervention that gets this done because this issue is now going to last well into next year," said Steve Pasierb, president and chief executive of the Toy Association.

AutoZone CEO William Rhodes called the crisis "the most difficult supply-chain environment that I have ever seen" and said his company has "the lowest level of in-stock" in recent memory.

The United States imported more than $130 billion in auto parts in 2020.

https://freebeacon.com/latest-...uto-repair-business/

quote:

Cars Get Stuck at U.S. Garages for Weeks in Spare-Parts Shortage

The world’s supply chain woes are bearing down on U.S. auto garages.

The challenge of finding spare parts as mundane as oil filters or carpeting has forced repair shops to hoard inventory, find workarounds and plead with customers for patience until a shipment comes in. Typical delays of a day or two have stretched into weeks in some cases, shop owners say.

It’s a self-feeding loop. A global semiconductor shortage has cut the production of new vehicles, leading to a surge in demand and prices of used cars and forcing people to keep their old ones longer. In turn, these vehicles need repairs, which are now increasingly being dragged by supply-chain snarls.

In the Seattle suburbs, garage owner Bryan Kelley waited on parts for 60 to 90 days on two separate occasions while fixing pick-up trucks. One of the parts, a crankshaft position sensor, used to take a half hour to get from the distribution center, said Kelley, owner of Valley Automotive Repair and Electric. The wait got so long that the customer was ready to give up on his Dodge Ram 1500, he said.

“He went as far as to say, ‘I’m going to tow it and buy another truck,’” said Kelley, who’s also chairman of the Automotive Service Association Northwest trade group. “It got compounded when he found he couldn’t just go down and buy one.”

The $300 billion auto-parts and repair industry is facing widespread operational challenges, from spikes in the price of steel and other materials to workforce shortages and — like everyone else — delays getting goods unloaded at U.S. seaports, said Paul McCarthy, chief executive of the Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association.

No garage is being spared, whether franchise dealers who get their parts from the major automakers, independent warehouses, or small corner garages, McCarthy said.

“This is the most difficult supply-chain environment that I have ever seen,” AutoZone Inc. Chief Executive Officer William Rhodes said in a September earnings call. AutoZone is running “the lowest level of in-stock that I can ever remember,” said Rhodes, who started his career at the Memphis, Tennessee-based auto-parts retail giant in the 1990s and has been CEO since 2005.

For now, mechanics on the front lines are having to get creative while keeping car owners calm as they break the bad news. It helps when so many of these clients have experienced pandemic-era shortages of all sorts of products in the past year and a half.

In the Philadelphia suburbs, Lisa Matlock’s Nissan Sentra got flooded when Hurricane Ida pummeled the Northeast in early September, leaving the interior a soggy and reeking mess. “I can’t begin to tell you what the smell was like,” Matlock said.

Unable to find replacement carpeting, the mechanics at Colket Technical Services in Lansdale, Pennsylvania, did the next best thing by ripping out the existing carpet, having it professionally cleaned and putting it back in.

Matlock was understanding when shop owner Ross Colket explained he couldn’t find carpeting anywhere. As a convenience-store worker, she can’t even find plastic containers for her shop’s grab-and-go sandwiches lately.

“I wasn't surprised or flustered that Ross was having trouble finding carpet,” Matlock said.

Hoarding has become a common practice for particularly sought-after items.

“Oil filters are becoming harder to get, so when I buy them, I buy them in as big of quantities I can get,” said River Road Auto Service manager Danny Tomasian in Bethesda, Maryland.

The auto repair delays seem particularly acute in the U.S. because spare parts produced in Asia get tangled in the global shipping clog and cargo jams at seaports.

Xu Haidong, a vice chief engineer at the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers, said production and supply of parts are sufficient in his country. In Japan, some electronic parts are becoming harder to find, such as navigation systems, but other parts are readily available, said Hiroshi Arai, secretary general of the Japan Autoparts Wholesales Association.

For now, the U.S. aftermarket parts industry is bracing for shortages possibly into next year, said McCarthy of the suppliers association.

Colket, the Philadelphia-area garage owner, is taking it in stride.

He even has a nickname for the persistent delays: “We lovingly refer to it as intergala

https://www.bloombergquint.com...ng-weeks-long-delays

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Not to be "that guy" who is an alarmist and trying to spread doom and gloom, but I have read that food shortages are next.

I'm not sure if this is real, or if it's more hype to get clicks at certain web sites. Honestly there have been web sites talking about food shortages, ....well...., since money started to be made by "clicks."

But I would be interested in knowing the general consensus here on the general food supply. I've got maybe a month's worth here and that's that.

I'm thinking some food things may go away, as we've already seen, but there will always be /something/ to eat, it just may not be exactly what you want to eat. But I could be wrong.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
If someone posts that there will be a food shortage, then the hoarding folks will make sure there IS. During the first toilet paper shortage, people were also buying all the canned goods, like Spam, canned meals (Chef Boyardee and soups).

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post