SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for Retired Feds
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Retired Feds Login/Join 
Picture of Needabiggersafe
posted
Hello, Retired Fed Sig members well after 38 years of Federal service I'm retiring on 2/28/23.

My question is what should I do/join/take advantage of before I'm out the door?

I'm not looking for financial type advice, as an example once I give up my PIV card up I will no longer have access to military bases and I was thinking about taking the FFA test which you can do for free on a base as a Fed so that goes away.

I've been a member of the credit union so that's done.

What else should I do?

Thanks

Needabiggersafe

Life Member NRA

Posts: 541 | Location: Rockville, MD.USA! | Registered: June 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Don't give up your FEHB.

You can still access military bases w/proper ID.

Be sure to download and save your eOPF file before you lose computer access.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make a copy of your electronic personnel file. Once you are out the door, you cannot access it.

Posts: 21 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Roll your TSP over into a managed IRA.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Needabiggersafe
posted Hide Post
Wow, you guys are fast the HR department did print my EOPF out, about a two-inch document.

I'll see if I can save it electronically.

Needabiggersafe

Life Member NRA

Posts: 541 | Location: Rockville, MD.USA! | Registered: June 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Retired friends have told me that the time to receive the benefit/pension has taken longer than they expected so have savings available.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5967 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
If you don't have a digital / .pdf copy of your OPF, make one now. Consider keeping scans of that (along with scans of other important documents... birth, marriage, education, passports, etc) on a durable USB drive for safe storage. If there's an issue down the line with your annuity, you'll be in a better position to produce evidence to clear it up immediately rather than waiting for OPM to find it. And, if you currently hold a clearance, this will include the Notices of Completed Investigation that will be helpful if you ever decide you want to return to work for a contractor in some capacity (recent clearances have BIG value in the contractor world.)

I assume you're retiring from DoD? At one time, they issued "courtesy" ID cards to retirees. If they still do, get one. Locally, I know they were generally good for installation access, MWR stuff, etc. Occasionally you'll run across deals/discounts that are extended to retirees in addition to current USG civilians, and you'll need something to prove status.

Mr. Kablammo is correct. Have a plan for how you're going to cover bills while you're still in "interim pay" status (read: reduced annuity until OPM fully adjudicates/calculates your actual annuity.) I'm a FERS Special retiree, retired in October, and don't expect to actually see my full annuity for at least 3-4 more months. I'm getting around 85% of the monthly FERS portion that we anticipate, but NONE of the FERS SRS. All told, this means I'm receiving around $2K/mo less than I will once OPM finally does their thing. If you can free up credit or establish a HELOC just in case, it'll take a load off your mind. You'll eventually get your back retirement pay, but it may take a while.

If you're eligible for any of the "groups" on ExpertVoice.com or similar sites, sign up now while you still have an official e-mail address. You can change it to a personal email as soon as you're approved.

Absolutely, positively, if you're dragging around effects from any work-related injuries or illnesses-- however long ago-- make sure you get & keep copies of the OWCP documentation while you still have easy access to them.

Have a plan. Any plan will do, just so you don't wake up on the first Monday after your ERD and don't feel completely rudderless.

Welcome to the First of The Month society. You'll wonder why you didn't join earlier.

Posts: 2471 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
+1 on having some savings available. OPM can fuck things up spectacularly. I retired 12/31/21. I didn’t see a dime for 4 solid months. No reduced annuity, no nothing. They caught up and paid me a lump sum.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15623 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Maybe you oughta get a t-shirt

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
I retired under CSRS in 2005.
Like above never cancel your FEHB.
Make sure the correct life insurance are the ones you need.
I'm down to only one.
Best of Luck.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must underline keeping your health insurance. It covers what Medicare doesn't, in case you're near that age. Also, you can avoid the extra payment of Medicare Part D with your prescription coverage.

Posts: 17150 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't give up your FEHB.

You can still access military bases w/proper ID.

Be sure to download and save your eOPF file before you lose computer access.
If your eOPF is like mine, it is password protected. Unless you have something extremely sensitive on it (I do not), I made the file name my password - you will not forget it.
quote:
Roll your TSP over into a managed IRA.
THIS^^^^!!!! You have better options and flexibility with an IRA.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post