SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got laid off today-Virus related
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got laid off today-Virus related Login/Join 
JOIN, or DIE
posted
2 years in sales at a car dealership. They made drastic reductions today due to the impact from the recent situation. My termination paper says “involuntary” reason: Covid-19 Staff reduction. Business is down and most likely about to fall off a cliff. Great time to be job hunting!

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. Did they mention bringing you back after the hysteria? I know one of the local restaurant chains (McMenamins) told their workers that they were all being let go so they could get unemployment with the intent of hiring most, or all back once this is all over.

Hang strong, my friend.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5404 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I know a lot of people in the car business. Many are getting laid off and the ones that aren’t are being told not to come in every day.

I’m sorry this has happened to you. Keep your head up.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry man. Pray for a miracle. For Plaquenil to be the answer. For the bloom to NOT occur. This could turn on a dime for the better. Some people on this forum feel it's nothing, and some of them I have the deepest respect for. So they give me hope.

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this. I got an email from the dealership I bought a car from advising they were closing “indefinitely”.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6414 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I know two people in the car business that lost their job today. Both were laid off indefinitely due to COVID but were told that likely this will hurt the business so bad that they won’t be rehired.

The jackals that keep repeating how this is worth it can’t seem to grasp the basic concept that this “OMG not the flu that most people will survive” is wrecking people’s lives and some will either take a lot to recover or possibly never recover. They love to lecture people how they just don’t get it, but the fact is they are so panicked that they don’t care the impact. If it saves one life.......

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this, what state are you in? NY? Sales are doing ok here in the ATL

Posts: 5327 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Sorry to hear this, what state are you in? NY? Sales are doing ok here in the ATL

Negative. Family member just went to 3 days a week at his dealership in Buford. And at some Hendrick dealerships they are laying people off.

———————————————

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Hang in there. I heard that unemployment benefits were going to be made available immediately without a waiting period.

This will pass.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53192 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
USPS is always hiring. Amazon is hiring 100,000. WalMart is hiring 150,000. CostCo and Purell are both hiring for warehouse and production line employees.

I’m a mailman, I can give you the details if you are interested. I don’t see the Post Office closing through this. If it does, we will be in a different America.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other sectors of the economy are hiring. Take a deep breath, look at your finances and the skills you have. You will get through this.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man that sucks.

Over a million people probably lost their jobs outright or got furloughed this week.

Just keep that in mind when people tell you the economic damage centers around people losing 401k value.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
Oh man, this is everywhere. Food, retail, etc. Truly sorry to hear man.

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:

Negative. Family member just went to 3 days a week at his dealership in Buford. And at some Hendrick dealerships they are laying people off.

As of today, they are doing something wrong. It could all change tomorrow though

Posts: 5327 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I know two people in the car business that lost their job today. Both were laid off indefinitely due to COVID but were told that likely this will hurt the business so bad that they won’t be rehired.

The jackals that keep repeating how this is worth it can’t seem to grasp the basic concept that this “OMG not the flu that most people will survive” is wrecking people’s lives and some will either take a lot to recover or possibly never recover. They love to lecture people how they just don’t get it, but the fact is they are so panicked that they don’t care the impact. If it saves one life.......

Yup. They said I can be re-hired but it’s not going to happen. I saw it coming from over a week ago. I was and am far more concerned over the panic than the Covid-19 and it hit home today. Going to file for unemployment and take the weekend to relax. First Saturday I’ve had off in a long time. Going to re-access on Monday but I have a feeling it’s going to be rough for a while trying to find work. We’ll see.

They kept some people on but I almost feel more fortunate that a clean break happened and I can move on to the next chapter rather than being kept on and struggling and busting my butt for no money with whats about to happen to them.

JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the well-wishes and support

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I understand your situation, I'm in a crappy situation too. Was just discussing 'quiting' or asking to be laid off have less than 10% schedule for next week. Never in a million years thought I'd be looking into unemployment benefits.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20828 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

As of today, they are doing something wrong. It could all change tomorrow though

Say what? Lots of people were laid off today in Atlanta area dealerships. You think Hendrick Automotive Group, Penske Automotive and Sonic Automotive don’t know what they’re doing? Ok then.

———————————————

I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Sorry brother, keep your mind sharp. I hope you land on your feet. John

Posts: 2877 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got-damn it. I'm sorry. My sister got cut loose today.

She has been having a hard time of it. I hope she pulls through.

Were it not for my mom, she would be hosed.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post