SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trailer battery charger/maintainer suggestion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer battery charger/maintainer suggestion Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Helping a buddy wire an off-road trailer.
He is going to have a deep cycle in a tool box at the front of the trailer and just planned to run a normal wall plug in charger using the plug in the truck bed.
We are rewiring the trailer anyway. May as well have a dedicated charger using the Aux power wire in the 7 pin harness seems like a better solution to me.
Any charger/maintainer suggestions to wire to the Aux power wire in the 7 pin harness?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Maybe these guys can get you there.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-142567.html

Order stuff from the before.

Posts: 17897 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
If the trailer is left out in the sun a small solar panel should easily keep the battery topped off. I use a 25 watt inexpensive panel and controller from Harbor Freight to keep up two 12v batteries on my trailer. This setup has kept these batteries charged for two years in temps down to -10. No plugin required.

Vehicle charging through the umbilical is often not as good as you would expect. It will run your lights and brakes (if they are electric) but may not push enough amperage long enough to fully charge the battery.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thezoltar:
If the trailer is left out in the sun a small solar panel should easily keep the battery topped off. I use a 25 watt inexpensive panel and controller from Harbor Freight to keep up two 12v batteries on my trailer. This setup has kept these batteries charged for two years in temps down to -10. No plugin required.

Vehicle charging through the umbilical is often not as good as you would expect. It will run your lights and brakes (if they are electric) but may not push enough amperage long enough to fully charge the battery.

Likely will do solar as well.
So if the aux power wire is not good enough how do all these dump trailers work/charge their battery?
Neighbor had a dump trailer with a charger and he never did anything more than plug it into the 7 pin and never had any issues.

————————————————

Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
Most utility trailer batteries are only used for emergency brakes and never get used. Therefore they don't need much of a charge other than a top off. If you actually use the batteries and draw them down you will need a more robust charging method. It all depends how often and how much demand you put on the batteries.

If this trailer is only used to tow atv's etc. a deep cycle battery is probably overkill. There's nothing wrong with that! We love our toys.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thezoltar:
Most utility trailer batteries are only used for emergency brakes and never get used. Therefore they don't need much of a charge other than a top off. If you actually use the batteries and draw them down you will need a more robust charging method. It all depends how often and how much demand you put on the batteries.

If this trailer is only used to tow atv's etc. a deep cycle battery is probably overkill. There's nothing wrong with that! We love our toys.

Interesting. Looks like they use an amperage booster.

https://premium-supply.com/col...ttery-charger-tester

As for this trailer it is an off-road camping trailer so it will be running lights, likely a camp fridge, and a few other accessories.

————————————————

Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
If it sits and isn’t near power to plug in a charge maintainer you may find this handy. I got one a couple months ago for when I’m away for awhile. Haven’t used it yet but it looks to be well made.

https://www.batterytender.com/...1557c1bd9d6a7fc0a0b8

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post