Notify
Tools

Malware Bytes Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
I've been reading mixed reviews on this

anyone have first hand experience with it

at one point several years ago I downloaded it and it found a bunch of problems but said I had to pay them to fix them - I was under the impression it was freeware

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53192 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had it and got rid of it a couple of years ago after it started eating up cpu and memory.

I won't re-install it again.

I was running Windows 7 the last time I used MB.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: roberth,

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have it and it works well for me. I don't use its background mode--just run it when I want to check something.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
do you have the free version or the pay version?

Posts: 53192 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
at one point several years ago I downloaded it and it found a bunch of problems but said I had to pay them to fix them - I was under the impression it was freeware

If you are getting told you have to pay to fix issues with Malwarebytes then you don't have Malwarebytes.
You many have Googled and go to a wrong site,
The only difference in the Free vs Pay is real time monitoring and automatic updating.
FWIW, it is worth it.

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I've had MWB for several years now and have been happy with it. I was also running McAfee, but when my subscription ran out this spring I didn't renew it. It caused me nothing but trouble!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2090 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
thanks - Malware Bytes it is then

Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
I have Malwarebytes premium (paid) on both Windows 10 and Ipad and have been happy with both. I have Windows Defender turned on to supplement Malwarebytes on the Windows 10 computer.

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I download the free version when I think I need it, run it, and then uninstall it.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the paid version on both my computer and phone. No issues.

ETA: Windows 10 and Android.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryarnaud,

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I have used it for years and never had a problem.

Posts: 5697 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have Malwarebytes on my MacBook Air, and really like it. The free version, which doesn’t provide active protection. But every evening I air-gap the Internet and run a Malwarebytes scan. If it reports “Congratulations, you are clean”, then I run a Time Machine backup before I reconnect, so I know that all of my backups are clean. I’ve never seen any scan report other than “Congratulations, you are clean”.

BTW – Every new version of Malwarebytes has taken longer to run a scan than the previous version. Until the most recent version, which takes significantly less time to run. Run time dropped from nearly two minutes to about 15 seconds.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8968 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've had it for years and really no problems. Haven't fired it up in a number of years. If you're running W10 and keep up with the updates you shouldn't need it or any other of this class of "clean up" programs. W10 changes stuff every month and I don't know how Malware Bytes can keep up.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I've been using the pay version on about 10 PCs/laptops for years. It finds and fixes things the antivirus software it's running along side does not. Been well worth it to me.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

If you are getting told you have to pay to fix issues with Malwarebytes then you don't have Malwarebytes.
You many have Googled and go to a wrong site,
The only difference in the Free vs Pay is real time monitoring and automatic updating.
FWIW, it is worth it.

This is important to note. You need to be sure you didn't install some sort of imposter software. It could cause more problems than it solves. Be sure you got it from https://www.malwarebytes.com/.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rusbro,

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
W10 changes stuff every month and I don't know how Malware Bytes can keep up.

Microsoft could update W10 every single day and it wouldn't change how anti-malware works or how effective anti-malware is.
How does anti-malware work. From Malwarebytes: https://blog.malwarebytes.com/...s-anti-malware-work/

Posts: 4703 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I run the following on my Win10 desktop:
-- Malwarebytes free from their official site
-- Adwcleaner free from the official Malwarebytes site
-- Comodo Internet Security Premium anti-virus & firewall free from their official site
-- CCleaner free from their official site

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Works well on my computer.

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used Malwarebytes for years and have been very satisfied. Recently I somehow managed to download some "phishing" virus that none of my other programs would get rid of bur Malwarebytes did the trick!

Posts: 165 | Registered: December 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Another guy who has used it for years with no problems. When you install it be careful going through the setup process, there is a page where you check the free version but it is easy to miss.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5041 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I have numerous Win 10 PC's running at home. I run Windows Defender in real time. I have used MB free, ad hock, for 10+ years with no issues.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1734 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post