SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best work boots money can buy?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best work boots money can buy? Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Red Wings have served me well, with their fitted insole and toe epoxy. I have two pairs, rotate them daily, it gives the boot time to dry out. Doing this makes two pairs last longer than three pairs worn continuously.

I will check out these custom makers though, anything to enhance time spent on my feet.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigmule:
Another wide foot fan of thorogood here.
Made in US

Some of them.

Like Danner, which has even fewer US made ones now.

While I don't own any, I keep reading that White's quality has dropped (bought out by someone?)

I'm wearing a pair of Thorogood's right now. A pair they bragged about for making 100 years or so. I bought them, fell in love, wore them out... and they stopped making them. Roll Eyes

I've bought and returned a couple other of their styles. Normal width was too narrow. Wide (EE) is too wide? So why do these fit so well? Oh.. they're an E. Which they don't seem to make in anything else I want. Frown

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
What ARC said.

My PD would buy us cheap boots, under $100, and not a dime more. I finally got tired of cheap boots wearing out in less than a year and them not getting me more. So After several years of trying out other brands (bates, magnum,no name, crap from Galls)I settled on Danners and bought two pair. My feet sweat excessively.

Lasted years and years.

Retired now and don’t wear boots anymore.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chongo, you're digging the boots you got now, and seemed to have worked out for the past 15 years.

Who made those? Get another pair.

I'm a big fan of Danner. They've worked out well for me here. Hot, wet, cold, snow, alleys, crime scenes, ghetto-assed dope houses...

Get a good insole, Danner makes good ones, but there's better. Dr Sholes are pretty good. It saves your knees, back and shoulders when standing for a long time.

I'll just leave this here-
https://store.rhinolaces.com

Worth every penny!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
After a little freshen up. Like I said these are my daily workers I couldn’t care less about a high polish shine boot.
Leave that nonsense to the Academy and the dress uniform. I have a pair of Chukkas that hold the roll when I need a shiny fancy boot.

Not bad at all for 3 years of daily wear. Nothing but a wet rag wipe down and a mini oil treatment every month or so.
They are all hand made in Eastern Europe somewhere based on model.
These were made in Slovakia and my Zephyrs made in Estonia. High quality super comfortable boots.
Lightweight, breathable, waterproof and warm in the winter. I wear them all 4 seasons with a midweight wool sock. Heavy weight if it is balls cold and snowy.

14 year old Danners. Ugly but still going strong but even when new these were never as comfortable as the Lowas. The Acadias are very very sole heavy.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I love my Danner 8" Acadia Composite toe with Gore-Tex, they are also recraftable.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I had our uniform place order me a pair of wide Danner Acadias last year. They were too narrow and I had to send them back. Was sad about that...really wanted to like them.

I'll look at some of the suggestions. One severely limiting factor is they have to be completely black. A lot of boots have flourishes that are lighter colored on the outside of the sole, or lighter colored layers to the sole, etc.

I have Dr. Sholes insole in my current boots, but my feet and back are telling me that my boots need replacing. While these boots were very good, I'm willing to pay a premium for excellent. If they fit properly.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I had our uniform place order me a pair of wide Danner Acadias last year. They were too narrow and I had to send them back. Was sad about that...really wanted to like them.

I'll look at some of the suggestions. One severely limiting factor is they have to be completely black. A lot of boots have flourishes that are lighter colored on the outside of the sole, or lighter colored layers to the sole, etc.

I have Dr. Sholes insole in my current boots, but my feet and back are telling me that my boots need replacing. While these boots were very good, I'm willing to pay a premium for excellent. If they fit properly.

If you order directly from Danner, they will make a pair to fit your foot. My daughter has an unusual size and needed a pair of uniform boots for Air Force OTS. I called Danner and they took a special order-no additional cost, and told me if they did not fit properly send them back and they would get it right. She thanked me many times over afterward-all her classmates had blisters and she did not because the fit was perfect. My son was in USMC and wears a 15EE and they fit him for a pair, and I have been wearing 12EE Danners for the past 10 years. It is a first rate company.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
You can't buy better boots. White, out of Spokane, WA.

This

Custom built for your foot

Even smokejumpers can’t break them

My brother and I were passing through Spokane a few days ago on our way to Yellowstone from Seattle. We stopped into White’s boots to check out their offerings. When the salesman measured my feet, he determined that one foot was a size 9F and the other was a 9FF. In addition to being wide, my feet are also flat. I placed an order for a pair of their semi dress boots so I will let you guys know how they fit in about six weeks. I am sure if you call them, they can make a black boot to fit your needs.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
My feet are wide, boxy, with a high instep and arch, and I need extra room for perecription orthotics. I've found Lowa boots to have the width and instp size to fit my feet.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
Just went through this same process about 6 months ago. Went to the uniform shop, and tried on all of their boots. The ones that felt the most comfortable were Merrell. We had about $110 to spend from the dept., and I had to add about $75 out of my own pocket, but it's been well worth it.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I’ll part with most folks and recommend Lowa zephyr mid length task force boots. They come in black. Have lasted me through years of tough use. They have Gortex and non-gortex options.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Glad this thread did not start a few weeks ago... I needed a new pair of work boots and finally went by the local Red Wing store... they talked me into a different pair than I had planned on but I think what I got will work out.

The issue for me in work boots is I need a smooth sole not one of these with all the deep tread..that collect mud and dog poop and is a pain to clean.

What most folks can't fathom it seems is a good soft sole actually has better traction on roofs and such that the deep treads ... and you can keep the bottoms clean and don't track in folks houses.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have purchased four pairs of White's. They are excellent, but most models use a relatively high heel. On steep terrain they can trip you up. One model uses breathable leather, which has been a boon in hot, dry climates.

I believe they can make any of their custom boots in black.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cut and plug
posted Hide Post
I really like Haix. They have lasted me pretty well and I am hard on boots I wear their station boots but they have a lot of PD options.

Posts: 1145 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I had a pair of Danner Recon boots that I wore for about six months of the year at work for about eight years. Then I wore them four days a week at a part time job for about five years. They finally gave up. Currently I have a newer pair of Danner Recon boots sitting in the closet that I have rarely worn. I currently wear a pair of Danner Light II boots in the fall, winter, and spring. Gore Tex lined with a Vibram sole. Previously I wore a pair of Danner Striker 45 boots. They wore well too although I think they were glued not stitched. Those were made in the USA when I bought them but I believe the Striker boots are no longer made in the USA.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
I would NEVER have the Bates knockoff of the original Corcoran. I’m on my second pair. First lasted sixteen years. (Not counting the pair I had in the ARMY)

Get the field boot. Not the jump boot. I got mine at LA Police Supply online.

PS they do not have a side zipper.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WESCO boots. https://www.wescoboots.com/builder/default.aspx
I wore Whites for years, but prefer Wesco. I found Wescos more comfortable.
Lineman

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I'm on my second pair of Danner Quarry's. I bought a second pair to have the first resoled after about 3 years of everyday work wear. Their website said a resole couldn't be done of the uppers had any cuts. Doesn't matter I still won't use anything else.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
12 yrs on my Danner Acadia Elites, been resoled once and due to be done again. VERY well made, I wear a 12 wide

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post