SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You spent how much on a coffee maker?!?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You spent how much on a coffee maker?!? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
For probably 30+ years we used a pour over, system, a stainless tea kettle to boil water and a Melitta filter to pour the boiling water into and over the usually fresh-ground coffee.

I never much liked hot coffee, but I made it for my wife every day.

Then a couple of years ago we got a Keurig and she tried all the coffees in those k-cups. She settled on Gevalia and every few weeks she "descales" the Keurig and swears she loves the coffee.

She's happy and I drink my La Columbe Bold (red bottle) cold brew and I'm happy.

Happy Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I too purchased the Mocca Master pictured in the OP because of this forum…makes the best coffee I’ve ever brewed at home. For the uninitiated:

- The hot plate times out at 90 minutes; I set a time on my watch to reset it once at 85 minutes.

- The Full Pot/Half Pot switch controls the hot plate. It will not get quite as hot and scorch the coffee if you are only brewing a half pot, or in my case get down to half and then switch over to a lower temp.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTIN BLANKS:
I made my first pot of Starbuck's Pike's blend and thought I was going to the Emergency Room. Getting it dialed in now.

For your machine I use about 10 tablespoons of ground coffee for full pot. I used to weigh it out but then picked up a really nice Burr grinder that get’s it near perfect every time.

Burr Grinders…that’s a whole other thread!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've resisted the coffee thing, just not important to me. I have followed other suggestions, like the Stargazer cast iron, Oak Ridge BBQ Rub, Hub's Peanuts and more I can't think of. Oh yeah, Speed Queen!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Just finished my first cup of the day from my two yr old Moccamaster. Best money I ever spent and I really look forward to firing it up every morning. If it breaks, I'd buy another one tomorrow. BTW, I do run descaler through it after every 100 pots. This machine is one of the best values I've ever spent that kind of money on.

Posts: 3538 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I few months ago I upgraded to an original Nepresso machine. I love it!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's not too bad of a price. One of my old shooting buddies spent over $800 on his, although I can't remember the name right now, it is similar to your machine. I feel fortunate my 19 y/o Mr. Coffee has held up so well over the years.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
If it breaks, I'd buy another one tomorrow. This machine is one of the best values I've ever spent that kind of money on.

I have 2 Moccamasters. I can tell you from experience if anything happens to yours, just call Moccamaster. They are not throwaway machines. They will totally rebuild one, and I have ordered a few parts over the years (I lost a basket and lid one time, and once the spray arm was accidentally thrown out) and they sent me the parts absolutely free, although they normally charge for the parts.

Top notch service. Nothing obsolete or "no longer made" excuses.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Bought a Phillips 3200 super-auto espresso machine on Prime day, $500 or so I think. Love it!

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gaggia Cadorna

This is it!!! Without question. With Lavazza SupraCremma Espresso Bean... Its the closest I've every come to being back in Tuscany have a morning cup of coffee.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
I had never heard of a Technivorm until SigForum and got one. Also never heard of Speed Queen until here and got one. I have bought so many things from recommendations here, but every single one has been absolutely spot on, worth every penny, and as good as people said it was. I find the best advice here.

Truth!

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:

couple of years ago we got a Keurig and she tried all the coffees in those k-cups.
Both my wife and I really like Costco's Kirkland Signature "Pacific Bold" K-cups. When they are on sale (as they are right now) they are around 25¢ each. Try them. If your wife doesn't like the first one or two, Costco will accept a return of the remainder of the carton for a full refund.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
Bought a Phillips 3200 super-auto espresso machine on Prime day, $500 or so I think. Love it!

I've got the same one and really appreciate it over me doing it all manually. My friend owns a coffee shop where they roast there and everything, and she's pretty impressed with how good a job it does, within the limitations of what's possible in a full auto.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got my MoccaMaster single cup for about $150 last year. I got a refurbished unit from them. I think I saved about $100.
I couldn't tell it from a new one and it had the same warranty. It makes great coffee too. It actually gets the water up to proper brewing temperature.

DF/DG

Posts: 56 | Registered: January 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Recently bought a Moccamaster KBGV in Midnight Blue.

It makes a fine pot of coffee.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a Technivorm sitting next to a Jura. That REALLY falls into the “you paid how much for a coffee maker” catagory

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Keurig coffee makers I got for free over the course of about 5 years, a Regal 32-cup percolator coffee urn that was purchased over 30 years ago for less than $20, a 12-cup drip coffee maker my wife got for free from work, and a 10-cup percolator pot from the early 1980s that cost less then $10. So we have very little money invested.

We only use 1 Keurig during the week and the 12-cup drip coffee maker on the weekend.

Posts: 491 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My wife just bought a good old-fashioned percolator. That is some of the best coffee I have ever had. I typically used to "dress up" my dripped coffee with cream of some sort and sugar. The percolated stuff is great black.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

My wife just bought a good old-fashioned percolator. That is some of the best coffee I have ever had.
This is what I think of when I remember the coffee pot we had for many years when I was a kid.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife just bought a good old-fashioned percolator.

All I've used for years. Sorry to be a contrarian, but I'm not paying half a grand for a coffee maker.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post