SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CC fraud, opinions wanted
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CC fraud, opinions wanted Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
So, just discovered that someone named my disabled sister's CC and we're quite stuck because Banks and Cards will not talk to me and want to talk to her. ..

Fact is we got good at unraveling all this shit and the charges are steep.
We have $400 of cable and similar charges for a purchase, total over $1000.

We just realized that someone has full package cable and internet running and that guy seems to be the super of my defunct mother's building. Cable company gave us the address of we're they're providing service on my sister's card

Shall we go to the police, talk to the guy and have him making it right or talk to the building manager and have him sacked?

The judicial system, law, banking and other type administrative institutions do not function like in the US, for us it's a practical and ethical question what to do next.

Thanks.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I would do both. There has to be a way to get the credit card company to deal with a caretaker.
Resolve that but also follow up with the police in your jurisdiction and the police where the suspected scammer lives. The squeaking wheel.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
for us it's a practical and ethical question what to do next.

resolution to your satisfaction probably is what makes the real call here;

I'm curious as to what would actually achieve recovery of the fraudulent theft of funds from a disabled person.

The application of 'personal ethics' when dealing with such is what generates considerable discussion on this forum over the years.

It would be hard for *me* to overlook the self serving pettiness of the thief and what he detracts from my own notions of 'civilized society'. I would think the 'laws of your land' should be employed in making the decision.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Here's the thing. I don't pretend to no anything about Argentina's laws. What is a felony, and what isn't. But, from a pure investigation standpoint, if this were my case to adopt, I would NOT want you going and talking to the super. By doing so, you seriously screw up my chance to lock him into a story, and unravel it from there. You go and talk to him, it gives him the opportunity to work out his story in his head, practice, and be good at it by the time I show up to interview him on criminal charges.

My personal opinion is once you try to fix it, any hopes for criminal prosecution goes out the window.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Noted, but too late.

Criminal prosecution is an impossible shot.
All This Crap happening to us has Taken away the joy of living. We Live to sort out other people's shit.

Talked to the guy and told him that if i go yo the police then i'll go to the building administration to have him sacked And then the Bank, CC company And othets Will come after him. No interest in going that path, nor do we want to Gain anything out of This mess.
Unfortunately, our way of life limita our practical options. The guy knows that both my mother And sister's places are unoccupied And unguarded And could have simple access to them.
Idjits put a bunch of utilities And cable service to his name And address on my sister's CC, likely bought a TV. All now well documentos. Not the brightest criminal mind out There

Told him he has until monday to come to ya with an acceptable And fadt solution to cover the Charges or we'll talk to the Popo And ley them sort it out.

More advise Still welcome.

0-0

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but if I'm of the kind to steal and use other people's credit cards, I'm not going to be afraid of you or your threats to go to the police.

Any delay is just to his advantage.

All he will respond to is a proverbial hammer to his face. You need to apply something concrete to the situation fast. Call the police if that's your only recourse.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Tony Soprano would deal with this, promptly and effectively!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Good luck finding him Monday

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I recognize tht the reference to Tony Soprano was joking, but it does not require a lot of imagination to realize that, in a land where no effective enforcement of laws is assured, any man can/must be his own judge, jury, and executioner. Thank goodness I don't live there!

Posts: 6459 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
The guy is my mother's building super. He lives Two blocks from There And was Smart enough to use the CC to recharge his personal Phone number credit a few times, buy all sorts of fancy cable packages to his Home service, contract large internet bandwith, cover monthly utilities And taxes all with the same Card, And to his address. How Stupid can he be?
He thought that Since my sister is disabled And Will spend the rest of her life institutionalised, maybe no one Would notice.
But he got greedy And maxed out the Card until it got blocke GTd and raised a red flag.

We suspect one of the Charges can be a TV set Since he got all the HD premium And SPORT channels "free'...

He's got a steady job And a kid at Scholl. He ain't going too far any time soon. The paper trail is thick And clear.

We got him by the shorts And curlies, thing is how to go about it to resolve the CC problema And cover all the damage, aparent And yet undetected. We're not creative un that departement.

0-0

Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
Tell him you work for the cartel. He'll get the message.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the US, a mentally disabled person cannot consent to any financial contracts. A law court would declare all contracts null and void.

The supe is a thief, talking to him will do nothing. Best to speak to his supervisor, or even the one above that. Managers do not like having thieves as employees.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Have your wife call in to the CC company pretending to be your sister and take it from there. You are trying to do the right thing and getting roadblocked. Good luck.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
We already talked to the Bank And the CC company. They had me running in circles a full day.

Can't deal with a human, Must go throught the internet interface. then we can't create a user And the process gets stuck, Must talk to an Administrator. back to the Phone And the never ending loop. When the process gets unlocked once again, the helpdesk hangs up as soon as we get to the blocked screen. Done it with 5 different reps.

0-0